2 ota ant w/ premap how to make it work

trey0522

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 14, 2004
ms
instead of buying rotor i was wandering i have 2 ota ant . pointing to sep. dir both need preamps to pull stations in.how do i go about the setup to get both ant. w/preamps to plug in ota ant. in voom box help would be app. want to make as few trips up the roof as poss. almost fell 10 min ago racking my brain to figure this one out thanks

think what i'm gonna do is run another coax to the 2nd ota antenna down 2 the power supplies for the preamps the coax coming out of the 2 preamps to 2way splitter/combiner to the stb.Does this sound like it'll work.Are am i defeating the purpose of the preamps now(signal loss or anything because of the combiner) any help??

Welcome to the Forum, trey0522!

Personally, I don't have any experience combining two OTA antennas. I know, in certain cases this may cause multi-pass problems (when the same signal comes from two antennas at the same time, but out of phase). On the other hand, if the two antennas are very directional, so they don't bring the same stations, this may work fine. Give it a try and see for yourself. In the worst case you can use an A/B switch.

If you combine the two cables after the power inserters, there should be no problem with two power supplies affecting each other. Of course, the splitter/combiner will introduce signal loss, but it should be less than the power amplification, so no, you are not defeating the purpose. Good luck!

I am using 2 antennas with 2 Channel Master preamps. I have both inputs run to an "A/B" switch, then to the V* box. Works just fine for me.

Channelmaster makes a JOIN-TENNA, which is a trap and bandpass fiter system used to pull a select channel in from one antenna and the rest from the other. I have not used it, but I am planning on it. Mostly why i found this thread i suppose...