2007 FCC Rules Target Subchannels

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
FCC rules that took effect this week target the economics of OTA stations that broadcast subchannels along with their primary. In essence, the FCC is making it more expensive for stations to use subchannels by requiring emergency broadcast messages on all subchannels, and by requiring additional childrens' programming for each subchannel of a station.

The net effect, IMHO, should be fewer subchannels, and more HD bandwidth. :)

Here's a link to a FCC rule blog that discusses the rules. The pertinent info starts with the second article.

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/archives/cat-digital-television.html

Not all encoding equipment suffers as much. KTVL is using a Harris Flexicoder. Harmonic and Tandberg encoders work somewhat better.

Before they added the cw. There HD was DEMO quality! I don't mind having the cw but not at the expense of HD!

10.1 HD ok
10.2 CW ok
10.3 sd WHY? What the heck is this?

Heck in Southern Oregon since ktvl added yet another sub par channel. ABC (KDRV) and FOX KMVU are both MUCH BETTER!! I have 720p 1081i and 1080p all prove this!! Again even though they don't do 5.1 sound there HD was Pristine now its a JOKE. its so sad! KOBI NBC they are 1080i and the most sharp picture until movement thats why i can not give them the number one spot.:hatsoff:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)