2009 MLB Playoffs

Gotcha ...
I'm sure they wouldn't have done that had the Pats been playing at home. :)

Jimbo,
it actually happened in 2003.

The Red Sox came back to beat the A's at Fenway in game 4 of the LDS to tie the series (the Sox would win game 5 the next night in Oakland).

Meanwhile, as the Sox game was ending, the Titans-Pats game was in the 4th quarter in Foxboro with the Titans driving. McNair scored to tie the game, and as he crossed the goal line the Gillette stands erupted! Why, you ask? Because everyone was following the happenings at Fenway, and the Sox just won. This didn't go over very big with several Pats players. :D

On a side note: the Pats won this game on a Ty Law INT return, and that started their unprecedented 21 game winning streak.

I saw an interesting stat today..........since the start of LCS play in 1969 (and later LDS in 1995), the Red Sox have played six different AL teams in the playoffs.

Of the six, the Sox have a winning postseason record against only one team.........the Angels.

The Red Sox postseason record against American League teams:

TEAM............................ SERIES RECORD.............. OVERALL RECORD

Oakland......................................2-2..........................................6-10

Cleveland...................................2-2...........................................8-11

Yankees.....................................1-2...........................................8-11

White Sox..................................0-1.............................................0-3

Rays...........................................0-1.............................................3-4

Angels........................................4-0............................................13-4

I've always been a firm believer in "law of averages", and that's what scares me about playing the Angels again............................:eek:

MLB wouldn't like it. They would prefer two big market teams in different timezones.

New York and Philly are big-markets- I don't think you need a coast-to-coast series.

Personally, I am less concerened about ratings and more concerned about the lack of an entertaining series.

Since 2004, the record of the World Series losing teams has been 2-20, with each series being either a sweep or five-games.

The last decent WS from a competitive standpoint was Marlins/Yankees in 2003.

I've always been a firm believer in "law of averages", and that's what scares me about playing the Angels again............................:eek:

Now you know how I feel going against the Yankees this year if we get that far! The Angels' "law of averages" vs. them is bound to end soon.:eek:

Now you know how I feel going against the Yankees this year if we get that far! The Angels' "law of averages" vs. them is bound to end soon.:eek:

Yup, just like the Yankees did against the Red Sox in '04.

It's kind of a weird thing with the Angels/Red Sox/Yankees triangle!

Personally, I am less concerened about ratings and more concerned about the lack of an entertaining series.

Since 2004, the record of the World Series losing teams has been 2-20, with each series being either a sweep or five-games.

The last decent WS from a competitive standpoint was Marlins/Yankees in 2003.

I agree. Barring my home team winning it all, I just want a competitive World Series!

Although, I must admit, 2004 and 2007 didn't bother me too much! :D

Seriously though, the World Series got off to great start this decade with Yankees-Diamondbacks and Giants-Angels, but it's been a bunch of duds since!

MLB would like the yankees and Dodgers.

Oh yea.. 1981 revisited..

81%20MVP%208x10.jpg

TBS has made the following announcer assignments for the LDS:

Rockies-Phillies: Brian Anderson and Joe Simpson

Twins/Tigers-Yankees: Chip Caray and Ron Darling

Cardinals-Dodgers: Dick Stockton and Bob Brenly

Red Sox-Angels: Don Orsillo and Buck Martinez

Also, tonight's Tigers-Twins playoff will be called by Caray/Darling.

I can't see it ending any sooner. I feel this is going to be the hardest fought series the two teams have ever played.

I agree. To me the key comes down to Sox pitching keeping the Angels off the basepaths (especially Figgins and Willits).

I know that sounds simplistic, but opposing teams have run on Sox catchers at an alarming rate this year!

I think they split the first two in Anaheim, and the next two at Fenway. This series will come down to a game 5.

I agree. To me the key comes down to Sox pitching keeping the Angels off the basepaths (especially Figgins and Willits).

I know that sounds simplistic, but opposing teams have run on Sox catchers at an alarming rate this year!

I think they split the first two in Anaheim, and the next two at Fenway. This series will come down to a game 5.

You can add Aybar to that list of pests on the basepaths, too!

Do you think VicMar will get more time behind the dish than Varitek this series?

This was the case in 04, 07 and 08. Still didn't matter. Scioscia will over manage, Sox won't need a return trip to California. Sox in 4.

You can add Aybar to that list of pests on the basepaths, too!

Oh yes, him too. He's the best defensive SS in the game, IMO

Do you think VicMar will get more time behind the dish than Varitek this series?

V-Mart will start and bat third every game. The question will be where he plays.

Ideally, Lowell stays healthy this series. That optimizes the Sox offense, because it allows Lowell and Drew to hit 7th and 8th behind Martinez, Youkilis, Bay and Ortiz.

If Lowell can't go at any point, Youk moves to 3B and the decision comes down to V-Mart at 1B and Varitek catching, OR V-Mart stays behind the plate and Kotchman plays 1B.

Personally, I prefer the latter scenario. I DON'T WANT TO SEE VARITEK AT ALL IN THIS SERIES!!!!!!!

UFL Ignored

Soldier Tribute on CBC HNinC/NHL Network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)