2009 MLB Playoffs

The Yankees pitching is terrible tonight. This is like batting practice.

Someone should make Chase Utley pee in a cup after tonight.

I suspect there is something in the grease he uses on his hair. That's more than Brylcreem. Even more than Crisco. They don't need him to pee in a cup. Only his hair dresser knows for sure.

Now 37 year-old Andy Pettite will pitch on 3 days rest in Game 6 and if it goes to a Game 7, Sabathia will pitch on 3 days rest for the 3rd straight outing?

Uh oh. Things may get interesting....

1. As usual, my FIRST guess from yesterday morning was right. Burnett on three days rest was awful, Pettite did not have good stuff on Sunday and now he'll be pitching on three days rest as well, and then comes CC, who will be pitching on three days rest twice in a row. Yesterday I suggested throwing Gaudin last night, and saving Burnett for game six on full rest, with Pettitte available to back up CC in game seven on full rest. But what do I know, I'm just a girl...

2. We may have lost the battle, but at least we did some major damage to Cliff Lee, and we didnt' have to spend another night listening to how he's a cross between Walter Johnson, Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson. Welcome back to earth, Cliff. Now if he pulls a Randy Johnson and comes back in game seven relief, the Yankees know they can hit him.

3. Perhaps everyone should put a gallon of grease in their hair before the game.

4. I suspect Mrs. Utley has to spend the entire day cleaing pillows and pillowcases.

5. As hot as Utley is right now, that's how cold Ryan Howard is. Hopefully Utley will cool off before Howard heats up. It's time to pitch around Utley until Howard proves he can actually hit.

6. Time for Texeira to join the party.

7. No Lidge. Interesting. Madsen did not impress me with his stuff. If not for the double play Jeter hit into, A-Rod facing Madsen would be a dream match up. The Yankees hit him hard.

8. The camera that caused the home run the other night is named Jeffrey. :D

9. Wow, what a catch by Gardner. The kid is major fast.

10. Victorino has got to get his hands out of the way quicker than that.

Sandra

For five straight years, the World Series was either a sweep or a five-game series- but for the first time in six years, the World Series will have a sixth game!

Here's how different things in sports were the last time this happened:

LeBron James and D-Wade had yet to play a regular-season NBA game

Terrell Owens was still with the San Francisco 49ers

The Kansas City Chiefs were the NFL's last unbeaten team at that point (they were nowhere near the mess they are now)

Steve Spurrier was still coaching the Redskins

The following players were all on the Miami Hurricanes football team at the same time- Frank Gore, Kellen Winslow, Devin Hester, Antrel Rolle, Vince Wilfork

Now 37 year-old Andy Pettite will pitch on 3 days rest in Game 6 and if it goes to a Game 7, Sabathia will pitch on 3 days rest for the 3rd straight outing?

Uh oh. Things may get interesting....

Yanks need to put Fat Toad Jr. in for Game 6 (after all, when he blows it, they can run out pettitte/sabathia or both in game 7). I do like the Phils chances with old man in game 6 and sabathia trying to pitch once more on 3 days rest in game 7.

I hope Lee pitches in game 7, albeit with a probably limited pitch count because of the extra short rest. If Lee can be efficient, all the better.

Best WS ending - Rivera chokes in the late innings of game 7 v phils in a similar way he choked against the dbacks in game 7 in 2001.

I wonder how much leeway Pedro will have. Considering it's a must-win game 6, do you think he's out of there quickly the moment the Yanks begin to hit him around the park? Charlie Manuel has been slow with the trigger finger in the series, imho, letting some pitchers start to get hit around a little bit before yanking them.

Yanks need to put Fat Toad Jr. in for Game 6 (after all, when he blows it, they can run out pettitte/sabathia or both in game 7). I do like the Phils chances with old man in game 6 and sabathia trying to pitch once more on 3 days rest in game 7.

I hope Lee pitches in game 7, albeit with a probably limited pitch count because of the extra short rest. If Lee can be efficient, all the better.

Best WS ending - Rivera chokes in the late innings of game 7 v phils in a similar way he choked against the dbacks in game 7 in 2001.

I wonder how much leeway Pedro will have. Considering it's a must-win game 6, do you think he's out of there quickly the moment the Yanks begin to hit him around the park? Charlie Manuel has been slow with the trigger finger in the series, imho, letting some pitchers start to get hit around a little bit before yanking them.

Rumor I heard was that Lee could pitch around 60 pitches, which could potentially put him at 4-5 innings pitched. If he feels good at that point , and pitching well, I'd let him go, it's the last day of the season afterall, he's got all off season to rest up.

As for Pedro, I would watch how he's pitching, if he's doing well like the last time out, let him go, if they fall behind by 2 or more and are hitting him, pull him out.

Rumor I heard was that Lee could pitch around 60 pitches, which could potentially put him at 4-5 innings pitched. If he feels good at that point , and pitching well, I'd let him go, it's the last day of the season afterall, he's got all off season to rest up.

As for Pedro, I would watch how he's pitching, if he's doing well like the last time out, let him go, if they fall behind by 2 or more and are hitting him, pull him out.

I trust Sabathia going on short rest (again) over Cliff Lee. (If it goes to a Game 7). Sabathia has proven in the past he's a work horse. Cliff, not so much. As a matter of fact, he's NEVER pitched on less than 4 days rest!

On the other hand, if I were a Phils fan, I wouldn't feel exactly secure with Hammels going either. I don't know where his head has been, but he's been a bit of a disappointment this series.

In short, if this series does go to a Game 7, both teams have question marks.

Here is what you need to know:

1. Joe Girardi has seriously compromised the Yankees' pitching staff. If Pettitte only goes the same two innings Burnett did, the Yankees (and hopefully Girardi) are in big trouble. How can some stupid girl on the Jersey Shore know this was going to happen, but Girardi didn't?

2. On the other hand, it bears noting Pedro's two good playoff starts were on many many days rest. Tonight he goes on his normal four days rest. Not sure if we'll see the same Pedro.

3. If A-Rod strikes out every at bat in games six and seven, he has still vindicated himself from playoffs past.

4. Let's get into that Phillies bullpen as much as possible.

5. Don't pitch to Grease Man. I know he's not Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds or even Albert Pujols, but he's just locked in right now and beating you all by himself.

6. Poor Met fans. This just goes on and on.

7. Cliff Lee on two days rest for 60 pitches or so in game seven? Sorry, that does not strike fear in the heart of Yankee fans...or, I would not think, Yankee players.

8. I would assume after Burnett's flame out in game five he'd be available for 2-3 innings in a game seven as well. He could perfom much better than he did in game five.

9. They're talking about Mariano possibly for three innings if necessary. Wow. Would not be easy.

10. Who do the Phillies use as a closer now?

Sandra

Interesting tidbit I just heard on the radio...

The Yankees last won the World Series in 2000. Mike Mussina joined the team in 2001. Mike Mussina LEFT the team at the end of last year.

It's clear our bad luck charm is gone...:cool:

Sandra

Wednesday's World Series Game 6 on FOX/FOX-HD
Yankees lead series, 3-2
Phillies (Martinez) at Yankees (Pettitte)- 7:57pm ET/4:57pm PT

Oh My!!!

Attachments

• godzilla78.jpg
    godzilla78.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 101

UFL Ignored

Soldier Tribute on CBC HNinC/NHL Network