2009 MLB Playoffs

:D

340x_postcover.jpg

Nick Swisher is a piece of work. After he catches the fly ball for the second out he turns to the crowd and motions to them...'One more out'. :D

Priceless.

Sandra

Nice attempt at a deflection, but I can't see what apples have to do with the discussion. :confused: The NYY have outspent all other MLB teams by a wide margin during these years and have only won this year. As shown above they spent less this year than 2008 when they didn't even make the playoffs. This shows that simply spending large amounts of money does not guarantee success. Spending large amounts of money "wisely" though does help.

I nominate this post for Understatement of the Year.

While I agree with this to a point, the NYY usually get who they want, which means most of the time they are only bidding against themselves.
First, let me apologize for being a little obtuse. I hate snide comments by others on forums and my comment was sort of snide as well.

The point I was making is the fact that the converse of a conditional statement is not equivalent to the original statement. IOW, one cannot mix up the cause with the effect (hypothesis and conclusion in a conditional logic statement). For example: The cause of an accident was due to a driver running a red light. It is not logical to conclude that every time one runs a red light there will be an accident.

One of the causes of the Yanks winning this WS and many others in the past is due to them purchasing players way above the current contract value. That does not mean that every time they do so they will win.

Still on the subject of money:

Adding up the dollars and cents. Applying a Society of Baseball Research metric, the Yankees were actually more efficient with their payroll this past season than were the hapless cross-town Mets, Cleveland Indians and basement-dwelling Washington Nationals.

The World Champs were only slightly less thrifty with their salaries than the Chicago Cubs, Houston Astros, and Kansas City Royals, all of whom missed the playoffs.

By those calculations, the Yankees paid $3.2 million per "marginal victory." That's nearly twice as efficient as the Mets, who only won 70 games despite their $149 million payroll and paid $5.8 million per marginal victory.

In addition, a rough estimate of the team's revenue in 2009 shows the Yankees cashed in on their success more than any other team. Multiply the number of people coming to games by the average ticket price ($73),and the Yankees took in about $270 million this season, or $69 million more than they shelled out for their payroll.

In 2008, the Yankees took in just $146.4 million from ticket sales, $63 million less than their payroll.

The Yankees' 2009 revenue figure doesn't even include additional playoff ticket sales they raked in, but most of that bonus playoff income will be offset by the hefty luxury tax that the team will have to pay this year.

Only five teams took in more revenue from ticket sales than they paid for their overall payrolls, and the Yankees' $69 million in earnings was by far the highest net income of any team. The nearest competitor was the rival Boston Red Sox who took in $32 million more than the cost of their payroll.

(Payroll efficiency was created by the Doug Pappas of SABR. It is calculated by adding a team's payroll that was above the minimum allowable payroll, and dividing that by the number of victories over 49 wins -- a number of games Pappas figured a team of scrubs could win.)

World Series Yankees champs - Yahoo! Finance

14. Why does Nick Swisher look at the underside of the brim of his helmet before every at-bat?

I always thought he was looking at a flag pole or something in center field. He does it home and away tho.

It's his way of eulogizing his grandmother, by looking to the sky before each pitch. My former brother-in-law knew his grandmother. They both worked in a department store in Parkersburg WV called Dils.

One thing that I don't hear being brought up in the money equation is the YES network.

How much does that bring in for the organization? I know it's a bunch, and it's another thing that allows them to spend all this money.

People Don't Seem To Like This Chris Rose Guy

I've never had any feelings for FOX's Chris Rose, one way or another, before. That is until FOX decided that he's their "Ernie Johnson" and put him in front of the camera every chance they got. He's really a terrible announcer, but he hasn't really had the time or training to even be considered one. He has however been a host/interviewer before, and based on last night's postgame performance, I think we can officially say he isn't very good at that either.

Chris not only decided to address Derek Jeter as "Jeets", but he continually tried to go with a GPS joke about the parade route, thus confusing the players to no end. If you hop into Twitter and search for Chris Rose, you can read some of the reactions to his stellar work....

I love how it took a World Series win for people to realize how annoying Chris Rose can be. My personal favorite moment from the postgame was that Mariano Rivera had to bring up the retirement question by himself, and then answer it. Just terrible.

With that said, FOX's attempt at the Series wasn't all that bad this year. I still think that Tim McCarver doesn't know what he's talking about, but he does have his brief moments of genius. And Joe Buck was surprisingly tolerable for once.

Head to Deadspin for some more tweets about Rose....

Chip Caray Surrenders His Crown To Chris Rose As The Most Loathed Broadcaster In Baseball (Deadspin)

Something must be wrong if you seem to be making Jeanne Zelasko look competent (Chris Rose's predecessor as Fox's MLB pregame host/World Series Trophy presentation emcee) in comparison. And ironically, speaking of Chip Caray, during the first few years of Fox's baseball coverage (1996-1998), he was the pregame show host (before being replaced by Keith Olbermann for the next two years).

Saving lives, winning the World Series. All in a days work.....

amazing what winning a world title does. You're called a hero just for trying to _flag_down help instead of, say, call 911 on a cell phone and comfort the victim until the paramedics arrive.

1. No disrespect to Hideki Matsui, but I would've given the series MVP to Mariano Rivera.

I would have given it to Matsui the more I think about it - he saved the Yankees from embarrassment.

Had it not been for his play in game 6, the Phils might have won and forced a game 7 where the Phils might have won again and completed the Yankees worst choke I could think of and second Yankees choke in MLB in the last six years.

amazing what winning a world title does. You're called a hero just for trying to _flag_down help instead of, say, call 911 on a cell phone and comfort the victim until the paramedics arrive.

Did you actually read the account? Girardi did both. And more.

You cannot possibly be as ignorant as this post makes you sound. I'm going to give you more credit than you possibly deserve. :eek:

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts