2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Stanley Cups.........check
NBA title.............check
World Series appearance................Maybe again this year.
NFL win........................ask me again in January.

A graphical bracket for your viewing pleasure...

nhl.jpg

Keep in mind, unlike the NBA Playoffs, the Stanley Cup playoffs reseed following the first round.

IOW, if the Bruins survive their series and the Rangers upset Washington, the Bruins and Rangers would meet in the second round.

Personally, I like the brackets better, but to each his own. :D

Here are my predictions:

Bruins in 4- these Bruins are way too good, and the Habs are a flat team with no momentum heading in (Unlike 2002). Carey Price is no Jose Theodore. Unlike last year, Boston has beaten the Habs this season- something they didn't dp last year.

Capitals in 5- the Rangers have the lowest-scoring offense of the 16 playoff teams, and that will be a problem. No goalie, no matter how good they are.

Hurricanes in 7- Close series, but I like the team playing hot down the stretch over a team that slumped a bit down the stretch.

Penguins in 6- I like a team heading into the playoffs on a roll, plus Crosby and Malkin are flying.

Sharks in 6- It'll be a tough series, but it will come down to San Jose's depth. Anaheim would have a great shot if they stick with Giguere; if they go with Hiller, I wouldn't count n it.

Red Wings in 6- Columbus is a "happy to be here" team and the Red Wings are still the champs. Plus, here's a trend- Detroit always goes six games in winning the first-round- they haven't had a first-round series win of fewer than six games since 2000. Goaltending will be the #1 factor in this series.

Canucks in 7- Blues are a bit young, but Canucks are a little flawed offensively, so they cancel each other out. This will go the distance, but Vancouver's awesome home-ice advantage will be a key factor.

Blackhawks in 5- Chicago may be young, but Calgary is too banged-up. Plus, the Hawks swept the Flames this year.

Red Wings in 6- Columbus is a "happy to be here" team and the Red Wings are still the champs. Plus, here's a trend- Detroit always goes six games in winning the first-round- they haven't had a first-round series win of fewer than six games since 2000. Goaltending will be the #1 factor in this series.

If goaltending will be the #1 factor in this series why not give the nod to Columbus?

Mason was the lead leader in shutouts and #2 in goals against. Can we say rookie of the year :eek:

I'm not sure if I would count the Blues out.They are going into the playoffs hot.So is Vancouver.But yes they are young.I can't pick a winner in this one.7 games though.
I think this series will be a barn burner.

Yes I think the Flames will be doused and early.They have been hurting lately.They have been playing 3 players short the past few games due to injuries and salary cap issues.
The Blackhawks will surprise people in the playoffs this year.

The Sharks have had their troubles recently.I think they will bounce back in the second season.I hope so,I'll be at the Shark Tank for game 1.

As much as I hate to say it,the Flyers will lose in 5 to Pittsburgh.There's more talent and depth there than in Philly.

I'll also take the Bruins (I hope they lose though),Caps & Hurricanes.

First Round Winners:

Boston
Washington
New Jersey
Pittsburgh

San Jose
Detroit
St. Louis
Chicago

Second Round Winners:

Boston
New Jersey

San Jose
Detroit

Conference Championship Winners:

New Jersey

Detroit

Stanley Cup Winner:

Detroit

I was very happy to see St Louis win Sunday so Detroit could face Columbus instead of Anaheim.

Reasons:
Detroit doesn't play well on west coast road trips
Anaheim has been hot recently
Columbus v. Detroit is becoming an interesting rivarly
I don't have to stay up past 10pm to watch the games!

Should be an interesting series. I bougt tickets to game 2 and game 7 in Detroit. I expect to get a refund for game 7 :D

FSN Detroit is broadcasting all 7 games, so Michigan people, expect Versus to be blacked out.
They listed games 1 & 2 in HD, and say that future games are "HD status TBD".

I will go out on a limb here and predict that the Blue Jackets take out the Wings in 7 games. They will ride on the back of their young goaltender Mason.

It wouldn't bother me in the least.As a Flyers die hard,there owed more than a few.I'd like to see Philly even the score,but I doubt that will even come close to happening.So I'll also be rooting for my # 2 SJ Sharks.

I will go out on a limb here and predict that the Blue Jackets take out the Wings in 7 games. They will ride on the back of their young goaltender Mason.

Won't happen, at least that way.
IF it does happen, it will be in 6 or less.
When Wings lose a series in the first round, it's less than 7, often 4 or 5 games.

Won't happen, at least that way.
IF it does happen, it will be in 6 or less.
When Wings lose a series in the first round, it's less than 7, often 4 or 5 games.

I'll take a win in 4 or 5 games ;). I only picked 7 because it will be tight race if the Jackets stand a chance. I personally don't think that they could blow out the wings in 4 or 5 games.

I'll take a win in 4 or 5 games ;). I only picked 7 because it will be tight race if the Jackets stand a chance. I personally don't think that they could blow out the wings in 4 or 5 games.

Just pointing out that when the Wings lose a first round series it's usually in less than 7.

My prediction for this series is ... Wings in 5 or 6.

It would not surprise me to see Mason have a hot start in game one. Panic in Hockeytown will then ensue, then the Wings get it together and take it in six.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts