2010-11 NBA Basketball Season

That wasn't an alley-oop. An alley-oop is finished with a dunk. That was a cherry pick. Wade made a long pass and LeBoob finished with a lay-up. Wooptey Doo.

Hey hater... try getting the definition right. It does NOT have to end in a dunk.;)

al·ley-oop (l-p)
n. Basketball
1. A play in which a pass is lobbed above the basket and a player jumps up and attempts to catch the ball and score before returning to the floor.

alley-oop pass - definition of alley-oop pass by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

An alley-oop in basketball is an offensive play in which one player throws the ball near the basket to a teammate who jumps, catches the ball in mid air and immediately scores a basket, usually with a slam dunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley-oop_(basketball)

That wasn't an alley-oop. An alley-oop is finished with a dunk. That was a cherry pick. Wade made a long pass and LeBoob finished with a lay-up. Wooptey Doo.

LOL dictionary definitions aside, when I saw the headline I was expecting a dunk too. Still a very nice pass, just not what I was expecting.

Sandra

Not sure when wikipedia became an official reference point for the NBA around here, but since we went there, let's see what they say about 'Cherry Picking':

Cherry picking
is a strategic act sometimes used in basketball to give a team a higher scoring chance.A player who performs this act is known as a cherry picker. It is sometimes frowned upon, and in some cases it is considered "cheating", even though there is usually not a rule against it. The purpose in this is to create a likely easy scoring opportunity when the defensive team obtains the ball from the offensive team via defensive rebound, steal, or other turnover. Supposedly when a teammate of the cherry picker obtains the ball, he or she should then make a long pass or heave to the cherry picker who will likely make an easy two point basket (usually a layup or dunk).

See? It doesn't have to be a dunk...but it's still cherry picking!!!

Also:

Cherry picking is very controversial to some players, coaches and spectators. It is sometimes considered to be a violation of an unwritten rule. A cherry picker may become unpopular among teammates, opponents, and fans.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sandra

Speaking of last night's HEAT - PACERS game... They have a good young team. I REALLY like their hustle and toughness! Watch out for them.
you saw our record against the pacers? its no wonder i always say we struggle against them. all time record against the pacers is 7-34 i believe. yikes!!!!!!!!!! lol.......

LOL dictionary definitions aside, when I saw the headline I was expecting a dunk too. Still a very nice pass, just not what I was expecting.

Sandra

ok...take the OFFICIAL definition away...every media outlet is calling it a alley-oop.... including NBA.com...but hell, what would the official website of the NBA know about that....LOL!

ok...take the OFFICIAL definition away...every media outlet is calling it a alley-oop.... including NBA.com...but hell, what would the official website of the NBA know about that....LOL!

Well that settles it...if the league AND Wikipedia say it's an alley-oop...an alley-oop it is!

Sandra

Image:Alleyoop.jpg

http://www.gardeningdaily.com/flowers-and-plants/Image:Alleyoop.jpg

Ok, enough. Nobody really cares whether it was or wasn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts