2023-2024 NCAA Football Thread

Never said other wise.

WHY does everyone want to ARGUE all the time.

Can't we ever have a Conversation, instead of people quickly pointing out how they think the poster is wrong ???

I was referring to the current system.
I included information about the current and prior systems, as those are the two that included all the conferences into an agreement. I could have included the Bowl Alliance prior to the BCS to pad the numbers, but chose not to as it didn't include the Big Ten & Pac10.

The SEC is probably the most well rounded conference there is (as evidenced by the number of teams that have won the National Championship in the past couple decades). Sorry to say, but the Big Ten is like the old Big 8 (2 good teams and nothing else).

Reactions: Mike0616
I included information about the current and prior systems, as those are the two that included all the conferences into an agreement. I could have included the Bowl Alliance prior to the BCS to pad the numbers, but chose not to as it didn't include the Big Ten & Pac10.

The SEC is probably the most well rounded conference there is (as evidenced by the number of teams that have won the National Championship in the past couple decades). Sorry to say, but the Big Ten is like the old Big 8 (2 good teams and nothing else).
When did I say anything about comparing the Big Ten to it ?

A Quick review of the Current System shows 3 sec teams have won it since 2013.
so that really doesn't say much about the rest of the almighty sec.

When did I say anything about comparing the Big Ten to it ?

A Quick review of the Current System shows 3 sec teams have won it since 2013.
so that really doesn't say much about the rest of the almighty sec.
3 of 14 is 21%, not exactly a tiny number as compared to all the others where only 1 has managed to win.

There have been years were the SEC didnt even deserve a bid and got in. Bama pulls that off a lot....No way in hell they should be 4 or 5....So like always they can sneak in, while a undefeated team gets locked out!

Reactions: Mike0616 and Jimbo
There have been years were the SEC didnt even deserve a bid and got in. Bama pulls that off a lot....No way in hell they should be 4 or 5....So like always they can sneak in, while a undefeated team gets locked out!
There was a year where the SEC (Aubarn) went undefeated and was locked out of the BCS in favor of USC(w) & Oklahoma.

3 of 14 is 21%, not exactly a tiny number as compared to all the others where only 1 has managed to win.
All of the conferences are top heavy. The SEC has spread the love (won titles) more than the others and has a bit more parity at the top, but it isn't a lot. The Big Ten is usually three-ish teams (two-ish when one isn't suspended for horrific overlooking of criminal activity... no not the sign stealing!).

Thankfully with the playoff, it has been less arbitrary who plays in the Championship. We used to have just two teams playing for it. #1 and #2... usually. What is funny is in the old system, FSU might have been ranked #3, and still looking from the outside. If Alabama wins the title, gawd forbid, they'll have two games against top five-ish teams to do so. So at least they'll have earned it.

Also, Jimbo, stop making me defend the bums in the SEC anymore than absolutely necessary!

• Haha
https://wapo.st/3TaiPCH
(shared link)

A review of every bowl game, including one with 5-7 Minnesota. Hurrah!

I look forward to Oregon breaking that record from 1916.
That is compliments of ESPN, who promoted the Bowl game expansion ...
Back when Bowl games mattered, this never would have happened, but now we have over 40 "Bowl Games"
There have been several times when .500 or less teams have gotten in because they have to fulfill the amount of games.

Like I've mentioned before, if it were up to me, every team would have a requirement to get in, AT Least 2 games OVER .500.

One does wonder how people feel about the playoff expansion that could have happened this year now.

Including FSU who voted against it.

I’ll be honest, as a Bama fan. I do feel like we are one of the four best teams. Taken as that I have no issue with us getting in. I do think Georgia is as well and has as big a gripe as FSU.

That said, after watching all the games this weekend in Biloxi I was talking to a Texas and FSU fan and we were discussing how it may play out, and I said I figured they were both in and we were out and honestly , I wouldn’t have had an issue with that decision, even after pointing out the lack of schedule strength FSU had.

That fsu fan agreed with my points. Both ways.

In any case, it is what it is. Bama is in. Michigan is in after cheating. Washington is in, even though I think they are the weak link, and FSU has a golden opportunity to prove a point that is mute after this season.

College football goes on with tons of people unhappy with who wins the natty as usual.

Until next season.

I will say, this year was an anomaly with how many one loss and undefeated teams we had. Never seen that before. Someone was bound to get shafted.

One does wonder how people feel about the playoff expansion that could have happened this year now.

I’ll be honest, as a Bama fan. I do feel like we are one of the four best teams. Taken as that I have no issue with us getting in. I do think Georgia is as well and has as big a gripe as FSU.

That said, after watching all the games this weekend in Biloxi I was talking to a Texas and FSU fan and we were discussing how it may play out, and I said I figured they were both in and we were out and honestly , I wouldn’t have had an issue with that decision, even after pointing out the lack of schedule strength FSU had.

In any case, it is what it is. Bama is in. Michigan is in after cheating. Washington is in, even though I think they are the weak link, and FSU has a golden opportunity to prove a point that is mute after this season.

College football goes on with tons of people unhappy with who wins the natty as usual.

Until next season.

I will say, this year was an anomaly with how many one loss and undefeated teams we had. Never seen that before. Someone was bound to get shafted.
The committee has to look at the Overall Season, teams have compiled.
THAT is very different from the Best team, which is Also very different from the teams playing the Best at the end of the year.

Bama was NOT one of the best teams early on, as were many teams ... Most teams get better as the season goes on ...

Early on, Bama would have had No Chance at winning it all, However, in the last Month they have looked Very good.

Calls, a few calls go one way or the other and your season changes. (Officiating has been terrible this year in both College and Pro).

A few call going the Buckeyes way and they would be undefeated and Michigan would be out or potentially out.

Georgia up top on the rankings most of the year, even though they played Nobody really until the end and looked very good then not very good, then played better when thier Big games do show up, lost by 3 points and drops from 1 to 6 ... does that sound right ???

Bama, the same team that looked great and has been playing well, SHOULD have lost to Auburn if not for a Miracle on the last play (and a Lack of a sensible defense on Auburns part) give a guy 15 seconds to stand back and find a recvr, is ridiculous.

Florida State, with thier #1 QB would be in right now ... with a 2nd or 3rd QB playing, I can understand the committee not putting them in.
Now, say they played those last 2 games and won say 35 - 7, then I believe they would have been in, but seeing they did not win convincingly (although they still won), they didn't pass the eye test (whatever that is).

People say Ohio State back in '14 still got in when playing with thier 2nd and 3rd QB's, they passed the eye test.
Cardale Jones came in and won the 1st game (BT Championship game) 59-0 and then moved on and Beat Bama next as well as Oregon in the Championship game.

Reactions: AZ.
A few call going the Buckeyes way and they would be undefeated and Michigan would be out or potentially out.
That is implying the only reason Michigan won is because some calls did not go Ohio State’s way.

Reactions: Derwin0

Until next season.

Washington should have been the 1 seed. They played in the toughest conference this year. The PAC-12 had the most competitive league this year. Beat Oregon twice.

Reactions: Derwin0
Oregon & Oregon State, as well as Washington & Washington State will continue their annual rivalry games even after moving to the Big Ten.

Annoying that they have to play them in September though. Big Ten should let them play during rivalry week the way the SEC and ACC allow their teams to play in-state rivals.

Reactions: AZ.
Oregon & Oregon State, as well as Washington & Washington State will continue their annual rivalry games even after moving to the Big Ten.

Annoying that they have to play them in September though. Big Ten should let them play during rivalry week the way the SEC and ACC allow their teams to play in-state rivals.

It never said why they couldn't play at the end of the year like others in the conference do.

Maybe its a 1st year scheduling thing and will be worked in in coming years ???

It never said why they couldn't play at the end of the year like others in the conference do.

Maybe its a 1st year scheduling thing and will be worked in in coming years ???
What's interesting is that they both have a bye right before the final weekend.

Could easily move the Washington-Oregon game to that week, and then play their respective in-State rivals the final week.

What's interesting is that they both have a bye right before the final weekend.

Could easily move the Washington-Oregon game to that week, and then play their respective in-State rivals the final week.
Not that I'm aware of .... 90% of the OOC games are in the first 3-4 weeks of the season, this way they get to the Conference games and go all the way thru the rest of the season .... Unlike some conferences that have a Cupcake before thier Rivalry game.

Personally, I think of the Washington - Oregon game to be the Rivalry in that part of the country.

Is Washington/ Washington State and Oregon /Oregon State games actually Bigger than the Wash / Oregon game ????

Usually higher stakes with the Wash /Oregon game i'd think.