2023-2024 NCAA Football Thread

The Bowl Committee should be allowed to shuffle teams after Player Transfers and Declarations for NFL Draft if the whole point is to determine a National Champion. Wasn’t the reason FSU wasn’t in the Final Four due to injuries so the Star Players weren’t able to play in the Bowl? Well, same logic applies to all the Bowl Games. OSU isn’t the same OSU without their QB or WR. They should be in the “Pop-Tart” Bowl, not the Cotton Bowl.

Notre Dame surprised me by not being negatively impacted with Hartman’s and other key players’ absence. They had some depth to the roster, 3rd string at the end and still scoring on Oregon State.

The system as-is is flawed. Colleges should go back to being educational learning institutions, and establish a Football Clubs organization whose purpose is to train the NFL players of the future while paying them for their performance. Or, admit money corrupts the Student Athlete equation and go back to the 1960s era of amateur athletics programs where you didn’t make money until you graduated, much like the rest of us.

(okay, maybe I shouldn’t have had so much coffee this morning…)

Several post about OSU losing. I thought someone should say that Missouri won. A very good offense could not do much with a tough OSU defense untill back to back 90= yards drives with the game on the line.
WR out hurt the Buckeyes. But the QB? Not that much to begin with. Not much of a runner. . Tiger DL would have put some hits on him.
OSU is as Blueblood as they come. Can't win every year. Enjoy good FB year in year out. Most programs can't do that. And M-I-Z ......

Reactions: Mike0616
The only way to do it would be a 10 team super college league. Each team plays each other once (nine games, allowing the 10th special regional games). Top four in a playoff. The Internet hub traffic drops 97% because SEC and B10 fanboys stop whining about conference BS.

What I mean is, the only definitive way to know who is the actual best team. But College Football is about revenue and gates, not competitive supremacy.
Everything is about revenue and gates.

Reactions: Mike0616 and Foxbat
The Bowl Committee should be allowed to shuffle teams after Player Transfers and Declarations for NFL Draft if the whole point is to determine a National Champion. Wasn’t the reason FSU wasn’t in the Final Four due to injuries so the Star Players weren’t able to play in the Bowl? Well, same logic applies to all the Bowl Games. OSU isn’t the same OSU without their QB or WR. They should be in the “Pop-Tart” Bowl, not the Cotton Bowl.

Notre Dame surprised me by not being negatively impacted with Hartman’s and other key players’ absence. They had some depth to the roster, 3rd string at the end and still scoring on Oregon State.

The system as-is is flawed. Colleges should go back to being educational learning institutions, and establish a Football Clubs organization whose purpose is to train the NFL players of the future while paying them for their performance. Or, admit money corrupts the Student Athlete equation and go back to the 1960s era of amateur athletics programs where you didn’t make money until you graduated, much like the rest of us.

(okay, maybe I shouldn’t have had so much coffee this morning…)

I agree with this. Or they should start writing these NIL deals to say the kids don't get the $$ unless they complete the ENTIRE season, including bowl games. The NCAA could help by not opening the portal for transfers until the bowls are over too.

But the real problem is all these schools throwing huge NIL deals at kids in the portal just to lure them away. I think FSU (and some of these other schools) got what they deserved. Say what you want about Clemson, but Dabo refuses to buy into the portal and builds a roster from the ground up the old fashion way. It may not win a national championship every year, but I'll always support someone trying to do things the right way versus a team like FSU that basically sold out their soul to a bunch of aspirational portal transfers who jumped ship as soon as the regular season ended. Clemson's players go to school, and the majority graduate on time. There are those that jump ship for whatever reason and go elsewhere, but if they aren't buying into the system I say let them go. People saying FSU lost because 30 players sat out it is silly. The QB was never going to play, and they wouldn't have sniffed Georgia without him either way. What they're really saying (without saying it) is FSU bought a bunch of players who bailed out because they couldn't win a National title and served their own self interests.

Notre Dame does have some transfers, but they're more of a "legacy" roster too. That is why it didn't hurt them as much. Plus Oregon State was without DJU. Once again, you live by the portal you die by the portal.

Reactions: Mike0616 and Foxbat
We'll have to start the playoffs in October then.
Why? it's the same number of rounds as next year? Just have the first round in mid-December and Quarter finals the following week.

Semi's can be at New Years with the Championship a week later.

Here comes the pathetic Change of Rules into OT, in the Semi Finals no less.

We have two teams playing football, then we go to OT and Change the damn rules.

It hasn't come down to a kicking contest yet, buy its still possible.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
The Rose needs to start earlier. No reason for this second game to end after midnight.
NO ... it doesn't.

It has ALWAYS started at 4:45 and will always start then.

The Orange Bowl I believe Always starts at 8 or later, are you gonna tell them they need to start at 6 ???

Remember, the same excuse I get when I say somethings should start earlier, the game is on the West coast, people are not home from work yet.

They should start Monday Night Football at 7 so those on the East coast can see the end, before midnight.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
So make the rose the late game.
Actually that makes the most sense considering where the Sugar Bowl is.

Should have one play on the 31 next year, since it will be a Tuesday, the other on the first, both at 5pm, people have to go back to work tomorrow, late game makes that tough.