269 Bug list

Jaspear said:
Perhaps, but I'm not completely alone. Here's a link to a thread from a few months ago:

occasional freeze on video with 811???

We need to be sure to compare apples to apples. We now have a different software version and compression level on the HD channels than a few months ago. If your 811 is acting as bad as you indicate than you should request a replacement form Dish.

NightRyder

WeeJavaDude said:
Right now with 2.69 and 2.68, the only time I see the downloading guide is when I get the acquiring signal bug. I can understand the reason for this one because it is an artifact of the bug.

Does your guide require frequent downloading Keith?

I only ever see the guide downloading after watching OTA, never when tuned to satellite. The 811 is turned off every night, with power still live to the box. I don't use the Guide much and use the Browser a lot.

Days and days of Guide data are apparently lost when tuned to OTA for an hour or so. Perhaps the software guys reuse the Guide memory for other purposes when an OTA channel is selected. Perhaps the Guide data is stored differently from the Browser data which only goes out to the next show? Do any of the Dish IRD's let you browse out past the next show?

Keith.

keith said:
I only ever see the guide downloading after watching OTA, never when tuned to satellite. The 811 is turned off every night, with power still live to the box. I don't use the Guide much and use the Browser a lot.

Days and days of Guide data are apparently lost when tuned to OTA for an hour or so. Perhaps the software guys reuse the Guide memory for other purposes when an OTA channel is selected. Perhaps the Guide data is stored differently from the Browser data which only goes out to the next show? Do any of the Dish IRD's let you browse out past the next show?

Keith.

Keith.. I am not sure what you mean by IRDs? I don't use the browse feature that often, but I will give it a try tonight and see if that triggers anything on my end.

I watch OTA for long periods of time, but I have not seen my guide data go away or get corrupted for a a least a few revs back. Do you get an acquiring signal message before you get the downloading data?

Are you saying the browse feature only goes to the next show? I find that odd and would expect it to go out further. I would be really surprised at the guide memory being used by something else since it is a lengthy process to acquire the data.

Maybe the browse feature is the trigger. I will give it a try tonight and see if my box because less stable. Maybe there some memory corruption going on and is tied to the browse key. Possible.. worth a try.

WJMorales said:
I too have noticed the "stuttering" after the 269 software upgrade. After last nights Monday Night Football game on ABC HD OTA, when I went to change the channel back to a satellite channel I got a black screen with no audio. At first, the channel banner said, "No Info", then I got program Info, but still no video and no audio. I had to do a reboot to fix.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. :D

With the 811 not having a hard drive the amount of memory available for the guide is a set amount reserved specifically for it. Unless the engineer was a complete idiot, nothing else will use this memory space.

Right now, the 811 updates the guide in one chunk. This is symptomatic of the unfinished software. NOTE: The software is far behind most of the other receivers. This should be fixed sooner or later.

On the other hand,

When you switch from OTA to satelite you are actually changing inputs. Thus, you are literally switching between two sets of hardware, and when you switch back to the sat after a while it may have to infact do a partial or full "reboot" to reacquire the satelite signal and update the guide.

It's hard to say wether that problem will ever be fixed.

same problem

I am having the same problem. If I watch OTA for more than an hour and go back to SAT I have to sit through acuiring signal and guide download. This really sucks for a channel surfer.

I can't believe all the problems. I was embarassed the other day. My neighbor wanted to see how HD was and I made the mistake of showing OTA HD. When I went back, of course it started the acquiring signal again and we had to sit there and wait until the 811 was good and ready to go back to SAT. This sucks. As soon as my contract is up I am out of here. Back to cable if I have to, or D.

joeadt said:
I am having the same problem. If I watch OTA for more than an hour and go back to SAT I have to sit through acuiring signal and guide download. This really sucks for a channel surfer.

I can't believe all the problems. I was embarassed the other day. My neighbor wanted to see how HD was and I made the mistake of showing OTA HD. When I went back, of course it started the acquiring signal again and we had to sit there and wait until the 811 was good and ready to go back to SAT. This sucks. As soon as my contract is up I am out of here. Back to cable if I have to, or D.

How often do you have this happen? There is a work around to this issue and you might want to search on here to see what it is. I run into it about once a week. Guess since this is the same bug as the 6000 I have gotten used to it and don't get embarrassed by it.

OdiOdin said:
When you switch from OTA to satelite you are actually changing inputs. Thus, you are literally switching between two sets of hardware, and when you switch back to the sat after a while it may have to infact do a partial or full "reboot" to reacquire the satelite signal and update the guide.

It's hard to say wether that problem will ever be fixed.

Given that it the Acquiring signal bug is in the 6000 also and that their is a work around, my guess is this can be fixed with software. However, it might be of the nature that the cost is too great to fix.

WeeJavaDude said:
Keith.. I am not sure what you mean by IRDs? I don't use the browse feature that often, but I will give it a try tonight and see if that triggers anything on my end.

I watch OTA for long periods of time, but I have not seen my guide data go away or get corrupted for a a least a few revs back. Do you get an acquiring signal message before you get the downloading data?

Are you saying the browse feature only goes to the next show? I find that odd and would expect it to go out further. I would be really surprised at the guide memory being used by something else since it is a lengthy process to acquire the data.

Maybe the browse feature is the trigger. I will give it a try tonight and see if my box because less stable. Maybe there some memory corruption going on and is tied to the browse key. Possible.. worth a try.

I played with the browse feature last night and this morning. Yep there is a bug there in the fact it does not show the info on all the channels in the guide. I could not get it to result in a downloading guide and the EPG did show the correct info. There are actually a couple of bugs there that I could see.

1) All guide information is not properly shown when Browsing. You get a No Info on a lot of channels even though the Guide shows the data. Hmm I figure the browse would be getting the info from the same source as the EPG so maybe there is some corruption. This would explain why Keith might be getting more guide downloads. I could not trigger a guide download playing with the browse, but I only did it for about 10 minutes.

2) Browse only browses to the current guide entry and the one after it. Not sure if this is a work as designed for the 811 or a bug.

This brings me to another point....

I have read on here some complaints about features lacking in the 811. One of them is unlimited channels in your favorite list. I read a few posts about this as if this was a bug. Is there documentation that states unlimited Favorites list. With a device like this I would not expect unlimited anything. In my opinion, just because a feature is on one box does not necessary mean it is in another. Also, features may work differently from box to box. In both cases this does not necessary mean it is a bug. My 2 cents.

Keith I will add the browse bug to the list. :D

What a Pain

joeadt said:

I agree, I have the same problem. I believe that I worked around this by using a macro on my remote control. When I push the Macro button, it switches the receiver to a Satellite channel and then issues the Guide command. Haven't had any failures since I did this except for once that I pushed the real Guide key while watching OTA. It is ridiculous that we have to reesort to solutions like this. Had the same problem with my 6000

Tony

Bobby said:
Turn off your 811 with the remote for 15 minutes, turn it back on, you have the latest update.

you may need to power-on reset first (hold down the power button for a few seconds until the receiver reboots), then turn it off

Jaspear,
I have also noticed the skipping frames ever since I first received my initial receiver in February. I tried a replacement and it was exactly the same. I notice it the most whenever watching quick moving sports or scenes. Hopefully everyone that has noticed this has logged a complaint with Dish.

Think I have a new 269 problem!

ESPN-HD NFL game on tonight. I switch to it. Then during a pause, I do my usual reset of the HDTV setup (I have a Sammy DLP that is 720p native) to match the ESPN-HD 720p input to my 720p Sammy monitor (gets the best PQ I've seen). I hit MENU 6-1-9 and scroll over to the input levels. 1080i is checked. I scroll down to 720p and hit enter. I scroll right to SAVE. I hit enter....all hell breaks loose! Image on screen is flickering wildly. I click through the CANCELs until I have the game back on. Transparent INFO screen is still flickering/flashing wildly, but times out. Next time I hit INFO, same flickering/flashing.

After a few trys at resetting HDTV Setup to 720p, I do a soft re-boot. Doesn't help. Same problem. I do a hard re-boot. Doesn't help. Same problem.

This is the first time I've tried to reset my HDTV setup to 720p since the 269 update (ESPN-HD hasn't had any HD to speak of much less compelling HD since we got the 269 update). This problem looks to be 269 related.

Anyone else with and 811 hooked to a Sammy DLP via DVI try this? Any problems?

I'm contacting E* to report this and see what they say.

I've noticed that if you're tuned to an ATSC channel with multiple sub-channels and trigger the "dreaded" Downloading Guide message, that when the PIP audio and video return, it's the highest sub-channel being transmitted. If I'm tuned to 22-01 and the Guide downloads, the 811 will then be tuned to 22-03 afterwards.

Also, I'm still seeing the 811's clock running slow when tuned to local channels. A timer set to go off at midnight will fire at 12:02 - 12:06, depending on how long I've been watching OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts