3/5/2014 3:32pm - Uplink Activity Report - 107 changes

From the hints I am getting I am not expecting the Disney channels until at least April. Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Boo! :)

Well April not to far, when it's been four years what's another month lol

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

THE MILITARY Channel becomes the American Heroes Channel Monday, and General Manager Kevin Bennett says that will broaden its mission.

“Heroism transcends the battlefield,” Bennett told TV critics recently.
“We will honor those who serve our country with courage and distinction in any number of other ways as well,” said channel President Henry Schleiff. “It can be firemen. It can be policemen. And those who don’t even necessarily wear a uniform, but whose actions inspire all Americans.”

And yet another decent niche channel begins a slow slide into irrelevance. Can't wait to see reality shows about Brooklyn housewives, 17 and pregnant, 70 and pregnant, Goose Dynasty, and other "heroes". :(

And yet another decent niche channel begins a slow slide into irrelevance. Can't wait to see reality shows about Brooklyn housewives, 17 and pregnant, 70 and pregnant, Goose Dynasty, and other "heroes". :(

None of those are American Heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the hints I am getting I am not expecting the Disney channels until at least April.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Scott, Why April when the deal is complete. They had some of these in HD before. And what about the iOS apps, more specifically WatchESPN?

April is 27 days away..... Things have to be moved around to make room for the channels....

Honestly,if that is the case,then why has Dish waited all this time to make room?They have been in talks for 6 months,that should have been more than enough time to make room.Could have probably launched a new sat lol

My personal opinion,it's contract related.They'll add them on a determined date.

From the hints I am getting I am not expecting the Disney channels until at least April.

One would think that with ADD going away they would have a transponder freeing up.

Even then it was very poor planning by Dish. How long was the Disney/Dish negotiations going on? They should have worked to get ready to carry all the channels just in case. They would not be worse off if the talks failed and they had empty space unused. It should have been planned for that they would need the space and get the shuffling done in advance.

My Birthday is April 1. It would be a great Birthday present

One would think that with ADD going away they would have a transponder freeing up.

Even then it was very poor planning by Dish. How long was the Disney/Dish negotiations going on? They should have worked to get ready to carry all the channels just in case. They would not be worse off if the talks failed and they had empty space unused. It should have been planned for that they would need the space and get the shuffling done in advance.

This kind of thinking would have meant that the customer was being put first. We never are.

Charlie and Mickey need a month to roll around in their money bin first . . .

(at least Uncle Scrooge had his charm - not so sure about Charlie)

This kind of thinking would have meant that the customer was being put first. We never are.

Charlie and Mickey need a month to roll around in their money bin first . . .

(at least Uncle Scrooge had his charm - not so sure about Charlie)

The problem with that logic is that it would be in Dish's best interest to immediately light up all the channels they can with the new contract. Paying Disney for channels that are still dark just cost Dish money.

Logic? What logic?

The logical answer (confirmed by Scott below...told ya) is that the new deal probably doesn't take effect until some future date, to give both sides time to set up the technical aspect of delivering the feeds (transponders, uplink centers, distribution, etc).

Sheesh.

Last edited:
Logic? What logic?

The logical answer is that the new deal probably doesn't take effect until some future date, to give both sides time to set up the technical aspect of delivering the feeds (transponders, uplink centers, distribution, etc).

Sheesh.

Are you kidding? All Disney has to do is type in a couple of receiver numbers into their feed to authorize Dish C-Band receivers (the ones at the uplink center not user ones) to get the programming delivered to Dish. The contract would backdate all fees to the day the old contract expired. I bet within 10 minutes of the contract being singed Dish could be authorized to receive the channels. This not not something that is complicated at all on Disney's end, it is simply a list of eligible receiver's authorizations.

Quite frankly if I would expect someone to be fired at Dish for being completely incompetent. The contract was probably in the final stages of being signed for months. They should have been making space since then. No, I do not expect Dish to do the uplink 20 minutes after signing, but in the first week it should have been doable. It is a lot of work on Dish's end.

Disney would have demanded that all agreed upon fees go back to the expiration of the old contract or they would have cut off programming the day the programming expired. The only way these negotiations work is if Dish agrees that they will pay the new rates backdated until negotiations either success or fail and Disney agrees to keep providing the feeds during contract negotiations.

That's a good point. Scott reported during CES that he heard it was a "done deal". They should have started to prepare for some changes then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking it one step further,Disney already sends Dish the HD signal,Dish then down rezzes it to SD.I know that the ESPN channels for sure only send out an HD signal from the source.So again I have to believe it's a contractual deal,or stipulation,that the HD be turned on,at an agreed upon date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)