3/5/2014 3:32pm - Uplink Activity Report - 107 changes

Are you kidding? All Disney has to do is type in a couple of receiver numbers into their feed to authorize Dish C-Band receivers (the ones at the uplink center not user ones) to get the programming delivered to Dish. The contract would backdate all fees to the day the old contract expired. I bet within 10 minutes of the contract being singed Dish could be authorized to receive the channels. This not not something that is complicated at all on Disney's end, it is simply a list of eligible receiver's authorizations.

Quite frankly if I would expect someone to be fired at Dish for being completely incompetent. The contract was probably in the final stages of being signed for months. They should have been making space since then. No, I do not expect Dish to do the uplink 20 minutes after signing, but in the first week it should have been doable. It is a lot of work on Dish's end.

Disney would have demanded that all agreed upon fees go back to the expiration of the old contract or they would have cut off programming the day the programming expired. The only way these negotiations work is if Dish agrees that they will pay the new rates backdated until negotiations either success or fail and Disney agrees to keep providing the feeds during contract negotiations.

I just did a scan of "the list", and transponder 17 on 110 is completely empty on WA, and EA has a handful of empty transponders. So unless 17 is going to be used for something else, there is room on WA to add 8 or 9 HD channels right there. Plus I am sure there are other transponders that they can add 1 or 2 HD channels to round out all the channels covered in the contract. My feeling is that the HD channels will be lit up once the hopper has a software update for the 3 days PTAT delay or the mechanism is in place for the 3 day delay to work properly.

Man a lot if bad information here from some folks who have no idea what they are talking about.

I will post what I know and what I am hearing later. For now I am off to my sons school for a meeting. I will post when I get back to my office.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

One would think that with ADD going away they would have a transponder freeing up.

Even then it was very poor planning by Dish. How long was the Disney/Dish negotiations going on? They should have worked to get ready to carry all the channels just in case. They would not be worse off if the talks failed and they had empty space unused. It should have been planned for that they would need the space and get the shuffling done in advance.

Unless DISH has plans for RV Distants.

The problem with that logic is that it would be in Dish's best interest to immediately light up all the channels they can with the new contract. Paying Disney for channels that are still dark just cost Dish money.

Your assumption is the Contract is immediate. It may well have a provision that things stay as they are to a specific date as Dare2be mentioned.

ADD was on 110 and 110 only, what are going to do with the eastern arc?

119, but I get the point. However the EA has space even if 77 is needed.

If DISH and Disney simply "pulled the switch" we would be mad at all the technical glitches. Chances are there will be some anyway for the online but it will be less and more manageable if they have done testing first. There are instances of DISH being added to online services and we could not sign in for instance.
In addition it took time for the AMC HD channels to come alive also, I specifically remember WE HD took quite awhile because my wife was waiting. I don't think it's as easy as simply turning everything on. DISH most likely has done some of the groundwork or it might take even longer. Remember all the recent moves on the EA?

To be even handed - there is the DISH "Stand by" that comes into play some. They want to do things right so they don't get sued. LMAO.......

Ok here is what I know or am hearing. It may or may not be correct but I am telling you what I know.

1) While the new contract has been signed it is not in effect yet. Dish is not paying for channels they currently do not carry. I don't know when it goes into effect.

2) I am told the new HD channels are coming into DISH via Fiber not Satellite. This is not getting a receiver and flipping a switch.

3) There is a lot of work on the backend that must be done including the installation of new encoders, routers, and miles of wires needed to all make it work. There is no clicking of a computer keyboard that will magically get them on screen. This backend work must be done.

4) While there could be some empty transponders up there, remember they must keep a few spares in case a satellite has an issue. And in some cases (as documented in the DISH SEC Filings) some satellites have transponders that don't work.

5) Dish is currently going through a technology upgrade and is swapping out old legacy receivers for new 8PSK/MPEG4 receivers. This swap was supposed to be completed last month but they did not make their deadline so they extended it until March 31st.

As of March 31, 2014 DISH will End of Life (EOL) the following receiver models: 111, 1000, 1500, 3000, 3500, 4000 & 4500. As of this date, DISH will no longer activate any EOL model. Also, any active EOL model still on an account on this date will be deactivated. The approved replacement model is the 211k.

6) There is a huge channel / transponder swap scheduled for 3/27 which will reshuffle many channels on 129, 110, 119, 72.7, 61.5 and 118.7. While not confirmed I am hearing when they move the channels they are moving them new more efficiant encoders which not only provide as good or better PQ but use less bandwidth. The compressing technology keeps improving every day and DISH is investing a lot by constantly upgrading their encoders. This will open up more space.

A lot of people seem to think that because they had the channels that they can just hit a button and make them come back on. This is not the case, nor was the space from these channels saved, after a period of time the space went to bringing you other HD channels you want.

Ultimately there is a lot more that needs to be done then just getting a satellite receiver hooked up and then sending that signal out to viewers home. I wish I could bring you all to the uplink to see how it really works. You would be shocked how much work it takes to get a channel and get it to you. As I said the amount of cable they use is amazing!

I wouldn't expect the internet logins to WatchESPN and others to work until the same day and everything will probably be turned on on the date the new contract goes into effect.

Ultimately they are coming, and we know they are coming this Spring. Remember the saying... good things come to those who wait. :)

My hopper reported a software update (unspecified) this morning.
There is new software going out to Hoppers and Hoppers with Sling this week.

For the Hopper it is getting S482
For the Hopper with Sling it is getting S338

This new software is mostly under the hood fixes and adds support for the Super Joey do that the Hopper can see the extra Tuners when the Joey is released.

There is no new software needed for the changes to AutoHop on the ABC programs.

There is new software going out to Hoppers and Hoppers with Sling this week.

For the Hopper it is getting S482
For the Hopper with Sling it is getting S338

This new software is mostly under the hood fixes and adds support for the Super Joey do that the Hopper can see the extra Tuners when the Joey is released.

There is no new software needed for the changes to AutoHop on the ABC programs.

That's S428 on the Hopper 2K Scott, not 482....

This thread reminds me of how fickle Dish subs on this site are.

Direct enters a dispute with Viacom and the channels go dark for a month, but everyone is supportive.

Dish avoids a dispute with Disney, the channels stay on for months while they negotiate a new contract and they get a deal done. Are people supportive of this? No, they complain the entire time about a deal not being done fast enough and that all the channels don't light up fast enough.

Sigh. Respect the process people, it's not magic.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This is various information that Scott has been hearing. Nothing in stone, but probably pretty close to it

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Or just excuses from Dish. The fiber has been in place and used to carry the HD signals, it is not something that is being put in or has to be upgraded. The receiver change out will still not be completed soon how many 301s are still left in the system?

And yes I realize that the uplink is very complex, but again it would be good for business if they had done the work ahead of time. But, then again it could all be done and just sitting there ready to go, and is simply some other reason Dish does not want to reveal as to why they are not at least turning on the channels they used to carry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)