311 Receiver Point Dish Screen Problem

jockoflocko

Nov 9, 2023
Texas
I have an old 311 Receiver and a Dish 500 DP Pro that I used to take camping years ago. I recently retired and decided to get back into camping again. I took the 311 and Dish 500 down from where they were stored in the attic and set them up to test in my RV at the house before I left for the campsite. After I activated the receiver with Dish, I made sure my Dish mount was plumb, then I plugged in my analog satellite finder and used my info (203 Azimuth, 114 Skew, 47 Elevation) to locate the 119W satellite. After that I disconnected the analog satellite finder and went to the receiver Point Dish screen and selected satellite 119 and transponder 21. But I only got a red bar and a "0" signal. I tried all of the other 119 transponders, but I still only got a red bar and a "0" signal. After that I ran a check switch with the following results:

Input 1
Conn
Polarity - X
Device - Twin
Input 2
Conn
Polarity - X
Device - Twin
Status - Problem detected, check connections.

I called Dish again to see if it took some time before my receiver was activated, but they said it was active. I then tried finding 119 only using the point dish screen, but it just kept showing a red bar and a "0" signal. I also tried resetting the receiver and running a check switch with and without the card inserted, but still got a red bar and a "0" signal. I am now at my wits end with this. The receiver and dish both worked fine several years ago, but for some reason now they don't. The receiver has been stored in a closed box in the attic, so I don't believe it has been damaged. I think I am missing something simple on this, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Do I need a new receiver card or firmware update? Does anyone have any other ideas? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
So, you can buy a 211z for about $60 and a Wally for about $82. For $22 why not go for the newest receiver.
In addition to the cost, I can think of two reasons.
  1. The menu system is better in the Wally. I really don't like my TV to look like a glorified tablet.
  2. The OTA tuner is embedded in the 411/211/211k receivers, but is extra cost on the 211z and Wally.

jockoflocko

Nov 9, 2023
Texas
All, thank you for your feedback on this. Really appreciate it. So, I think I'm going to call Dish back and see about getting a Wally or a 211. What I don't understand is why did Dish take my $$$$ to activate an obsolete receiver? I am going to ask them about that, and I'll let you all know what they say.

Thanks.

tjboston5676

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2023
Borger, TX
All, thank you for your feedback on this. Really appreciate it. So, I think I'm going to call Dish back and see about getting a Wally or a 211. What I don't understand is why did Dish take my $$$$ to activate an obsolete receiver? I am going to ask them about that, and I'll let you all know what they say.

Thanks.
because unfortunately they don't have a clue because for some reason dish no longer properly trains or updates csr.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia

Thanks.
It still works on the other arc 110 and 119

Reactions: charlesrshell

Dish Add On Packages Missing

ATT Gateway and Dish Network