311K Issues

GKM

Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
Idaho
Hi All!,
So I have a 311k receiver that I use for camping, hunting, tailgating, etc. Can't remember exactly what I had before, but I received this from Dish a while back because they told me the receiver I had was going to quit working. Anyway, it seemed fine for a while, but now when I try to use it, I am seeing some pretty odd stuff. First off, if I turn the receiver off for more than say 10 minutes, it gives me a complete signal loss message every time. I run a check switch, both 119 and 110 show up fine. After the check switch is done, it goes through all the loading, the program guide, etc, and everything is fine until I turn it off again. The second issue I am seeing is horrible pix-elation, especially on sporting events. If I try to watch a football game, it looks a lot like a watercolor. Now since I am usually using this temporarily, I don't always have the greatest signal strength, but it is always 70 plus which has always been fine in the past. Any suggestions before I go through the torture that is calling Dish tech support would be greatly apprectiated!
Thanks in advance!

311K I a DISH 322 that failed, they re purposed it as a single tuner receiver and hoped to get a few more years of usage. Have DISH replace it.

What kind of dish do you have this connected to? There can be several things that cause this, like a failing LNB
Could be bad lnbf, Signal drifting in and out. If you have your dish on a pole and has black cable in the ground could be the problem it needs to be replaced to orange burial cable. Bad cable, bad connector/ground block.

If it is a dish 311k i think it needs to have a lnb labeled with a dish pro plus lnbf and that cable needs to replaced with orange cable which needs to be rated for 3ghz if i remember.

So what dish would I actually need? I have had this one kicking around for probably 8-10 years. Actually don't think it says anything, but I think it is a dish 500. . I know the cables running off it are just reguilar coax.

If it is a dish 311k i think it needs to have a lnb labeled with a dish pro plus lnbf and that cable needs to replaced with orange cable which needs to be rated for 3ghz if i remember.
Pure BS totally erroneous 311K will work with any dish LNB and any dish. Legacy DISH LNBs use 950-1450 MHZ so they don't always need 3GHZ cable. Orange cable is for direct burial, if your cable isn't buried you don't need .

So I had someone on DISH's website tell me I needed a dish separator in the cable rather than the standard splitter that they had me use when they sent me this 311ki. I have a spare dish that I have left over from the HD upgrade. Should I try that? Everything is pretty easily accessible so I guess it would be easy enough to try a different dish and cables. I guess another reason I thought it might be the receiver, is because if I go into the dish pointing, lets say I have a 65 signal. I can change the transponder, and get maybe a 8-10 bump in signal strength, but when I exit and go back in, it has gone back to whatever transponder it was on before.

When you enter the dish pointing screen it automatically will display the sat and transponder that the channel you have tuned to are located on.

Sent from my iPhone using Chrome.

So I had someone on DISH's website tell me I needed a dish separator in the cable rather than the standard splitter that they had me use when they sent me this 311ki. I have a spare dish that I have left over from the HD upgrade. Should I try that? Everything is pretty easily accessible so I guess it would be easy enough to try a different dish and cables. I guess another reason I thought it might be the receiver, is because if I go into the dish pointing, lets say I have a 65 signal. I can change the transponder, and get maybe a 8-10 bump in signal strength, but when I exit and go back in, it has gone back to whatever transponder it was on before.

311k are supposed to work with any rg6 cable and any lnb, but they will not work with a regular splitter in the line.
even though they aren't supposed to need it, they do work better when both inputs are getting signal
if the the lnb is a dp plus twin, you can use 1 cable from the lnb to a separator at the receiver. this is the most stable/reliable setup
if it is a legacy lnb or just a dp twin you can run 2 lines directly to the inputs
every transponder will have its own signal level, the receiver picks the one it needs depending on what channel you are watching

311k are supposed to work with any rg6 cable and any lnb, but they will not work with a regular splitter in the line.
even though they aren't supposed to need it, they do work better when both inputs are getting signal
if the the lnb is a dp plus twin, you can use 1 cable from the lnb to a separator at the receiver. this is the most stable/reliable setup
if it is a legacy lnb or just a dp twin you can run 2 lines directly to the inputs
every transponder will have its own signal level, the receiver picks the one it needs depending on what channel you are watching
So I ordered the separator and installed it where the splitter was. Ran through check switch, it would see both satellites, but no picture on 119. Tried eliminating the separator altogether, and I only see one satellite. Put the splitter back in, and still getting a crap signal, but both satellites are back. Called dish, and they told me they are pulling the 311k receivers out of service, and are sending me a different one, I am hoping that will resolve this crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts