3D Comes To DISH Network

DISH is continuing the tradition of having the highest pay per views in the industry.:rolleyes:

LOL, got this in my email today. Don't these movies come on "Free" tv?

dishPPV.jpg

Oh, I thought they were 5 dollars. I saw the big '5' and then looked at the movies... "Elf" was repeated endlessly on USA or another channel. "A Christmas Story" should be on a marathon pretty soon. The others you can certainly catch and hopefully DVR if you really want to see them.

I do agree, they're "free" if you catch them. Heh, at 5 cents each, I'd consider them. I suspect they only remain on DVRs for 24 hours after you first start watching them. If that's the case, I'd pass.

Oh, I thought they were 5 dollars. I saw the big '5' and then looked at the movies... "Elf" was repeated endlessly on USA or another channel. "A Christmas Story" should be on a marathon pretty soon. The others you can certainly catch and hopefully DVR if you really want to see them.

I do agree, they're "free" if you catch them. Heh, at 5 cents each, I'd consider them. I suspect they only remain on DVRs for 24 hours after you first start watching them. If that's the case, I'd pass.
Its prolly the "unedited" christmas story complete with swear words that are not in the TBS version

We have it on DVD (most of those, actually, I think) and I'd much prefer DVD or PPV for the un-edited version and lack of commercials. I mean, TBS ain't that bad, but they do run a LOT of commercials. USA is worse though, with 6-minute commercial breaks and a lot of them !

EVERY YEAR. But at DISH they are still going to charge you at least a nickel per movie.
If I wanted to watch the movies, I'd pay a small fee to see them commercial free.

They're trying anything to prime the PPV siphon as the cable companies are clearly making a mint on PPV VOD.

harshness said:
If I wanted to watch the movies, I'd pay a small fee to see them commercial free.

They're trying anything to prime the PPV siphon as the cable companies are clearly making a mint on PPV VOD.

Dish needs to lower their rates by $1.00 then they will get folks to use their ppv service.

Dish needs to lower their rates by $1.00 then they will get folks to use their ppv service.
The conundrum about 3D is that there is so little of it available, you really need to have it around for when you want to show off your 3D setup. 3D Blu-ray outright purchase is surely going to end up being cheaper than renting the movie repeatedly.

The conundrum about 3D is that there is so little of it available, you really need to have it around for when you want to show off your 3D setup. 3D Blu-ray outright purchase is surely going to end up being cheaper than renting the movie repeatedly.

I remember that, when I bought my HDTV in 2001, there was very little HD content. How times have changed........ The same could happen for 3D.

I remember that, when I bought my HDTV in 2001, there was very little HD content. How times have changed........ The same could happen for 3D.

+1. I had a HDTV capable TV for a year or more before Dish had any HD available. Now I have 3D capablity and very little 3D available. The curse of an early adopter! I don't expect 3D to ever be mainstream but it IS an enjoyable niche for a special event or movie. Come on Dish, D* has 3 3D channels!

Ed

I've seen lots of discussion of 3D video formats. For example:

Frame Packing
  • 1080p/24 (via 3D Blu-ray)
  • 720p/60 (video games)

Frame Compatible (via STBs)
  • 1080i/60 Side-by-Side
  • 1080p/24 Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom
  • 720p/60 Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom
DirecTV is using some of the Frame Compatible formats for their 3D content. Does anyone know which flavors Dish is using?

Thanks, Scott. So the Revue shouldn't have any hardware difficulty to pass through the frame-compatible signal, though it might need some software work to get the metadata from the STB to the TV. Seems promising, though I wonder where adding 3D support sits in Logitech's list of possible software improvements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)