4 month old vip622 stuttering now?

Robdoggz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
Stockton, Ca
Ok my dvr just started to stutter pretty badly its only a video stutter and not an audio stutter. It started today in the morning early and it was cool in here not even 72 in my home so it cant be heat. Tonight it still does it tried reboot and only thing that seems to help is turn off unit and turn back on but soon as i change channel it does it again.

This seems to be worse on the hd channels that have sd versions. It happens when i use the recall last channel button but not when i swap the tuner it is ran in single mode. Any info i can try out to see if i need my dvr replaced?? I searched but cant seem to find any thread less than 2 years old. This is very annoying i have family coming over next month and this is pretty embarrassing as we usually watch a lot of tv.

I only have like 6 hours of content on the hard drive too and hooked up with a dish 1000.2 i believe. Should i just call dish and get it replaced seems from all old post the hard drive is to blame but i get no stutter from my dvr stuff only live video. I have L618 software for unknown time as i don't know when it was updated Thanks

4 months must be the time that you've owned the 622? Those have been out of production for quite awhile now. I'm assuming it's leased and more than likely a refurb. More than likely, the hard drive is failing. Contact tech support and give them the details.

Which way do you have it hooked up, hdmi or component? Mine did the same just before the hdmi port went bad. If it is not this tan I would say hard drive.

Check your hard drive temps. Here is a thread on heat issues with 622/722 dvr's. You may just have a heat buildup problem.

The thing is this was happening even in the early morning when it was very cool in my home. The unit is leased it was not stuttering today figures i was about to call dish tonight. If i do get it replaced what would they give me? I have Dhpp so i am good oh and its connected via component.

I will check hard drive temps tomorrow as i since turned off the unit and the tv getting ready for bed will check and update here thanks.

If the hard drive suffered heat stroke, it will still show signs even after when it might be cooler (like morning). My hard drive slowly went kaput. Let us know the avg, high and low temps.

You'll still pay $30 with DHPP for a replacement (at least I did with a service call to replace the unit). You'll likely get another of the same - so setup a fan to cool down the hard drive.

Ok my temps seem very high for a room that sits at about 78-85 degrees all day. The unit is installed in a open shelf there is nothing closer than 3 inches each side and its basically out in the open non of my other equipment even runs hot. This seems ridiculous for it to run this hot all the time even with my ac on at home the room is cool but this box is on fire i am not spending money on a fan to save it if dish wants me to pay to replace it they are done for me. I don't watch enough tv anymore i just need something to cancel them if they want me to pay i will cancel and save me $90 a month or more since rates are going up lol.

My numbers:
High 136
Low 105
Avg 115

I have the same video stutter issue. My 622 is maybe two years old. My temps are 134/107/116 and it is also in an open area away from anything else in a moderately cool room. I have called tech support twice about this, both times they sent a guy out but since I couldn't replicate the problem he couldn't do anything about it. It only happens once every few weeks and only for a minute so I have been putting off replacing it. Maybe I should before the drive dies. I wonder if I can get a 722 as a replacement?

Your temperatures aren't "high". The average is the one to look at.... An abnormally "high" high temperature may have just been from a period where you were recording two shows and playing back two all at the same time. That's about the worst case you can get with the HDD running full time.

The room temperature will only have a small factor on the temperature *inside* the DVR.

If Dish replaces it, you'll likely get another 622.

The room temperature will only have a small factor on the temperature *inside* the DVR.

Not to argue, but I thought that keeping the DVR (or anything like an amp, XBOX, PS3, etc.) in a cool well ventilated spot is necessary to keep it running cooler...so if the little fans are sucking in hot air won't that limit the amount of cooling they provide the DVR?

Where do you draw the line ? I will NOT, and I'd hope no one else would either, keep the temperature in a room or my house so cool just to keep some electronics operating properly. If they can't operate in a 80' room without failing, the devices are designed wrong.

What do you call "hot air" ?

The 722's ventilation definetly falls under the heading of "designed wrong." Why does it vent from side to side when no other HTC does? Why does it not have fore aft ventilation like most other DVRs? Sure amplifiers vent bottom top, but they do not have moving parts.

Dish's DVRs could certainly be better designed, I won't dispute that. If I recall, their non-DVR units have vented tops, yet the DVRs do not. Why ? On the other hand, their non-DVR units don't have an internal fan either. Maybe, just maybe, Dish's design engineers did a CFD analysis and made it this way... :D

What do you call "hot air" ?

The DVR I had in my cooler downstairs room had lower average temps than the same model upstairs in the hotter room. Both had similar use time. Upstairs had hotter hair. In my experience with Dish DVRs, hotter room = hotter temps. That was my original point. Cheers.

Honestly, how much cooler ? If it's 5' difference, I call that a non-issue. If it's 10', 15', 20' cooler, that's surprising.

I've had four or five 622's and every one of them stutters at one time or another. Personally I think it is a transmission issue. I rarely had the problem before the compression change.

A cheap possible solution for cooling is to slightly elevate the DVR. Put a 1/2 inch (or larger) spacer under each foot of the DVR to provide for better airflow. You can use a piece of wood , plastic bottle cap or whatever you can find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts