40ft Ladder Charge?

Alto101

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 15, 2005
Louisville, KY
I just spoke with my installers and they indicated that I would be charged an $80 fee since they will need to use a 40 foot ladder to reach my roof. I thought that up to a 40 foot ladder was included in the professional installation? If not, is $80 reasonable? It sounds way too high in my opinion. Any help?

Thanks,
Ryan

My installer showed up with an oversized ladder(mounted to their truck).
Since my roof has internal access requiring a 12 foot ladder, they asked if I had one they could use- rather than them unmounting theirs and lugging it up a few flights of stairs.
I suppose I should've charged THEM. :D

Well they did say they could mount it on a pole, but they charge $80 to do that as well!

I am going to see if they will lower the price for the 40ft ladder. I am not opposed to paying extra for it, but $80 seems too high given the fact that they own the ladder and don't have to pay a rental fee for it.

If anyone has had to pay extra for a 40ft ladder please let me know.

Alto101 said:
Well they did say they could mount it on a pole, but they charge $80 to do that as well!

I am going to see if they will lower the price for the 40ft ladder. I am not opposed to paying extra for it, but $80 seems too high given the fact that they own the ladder and don't have to pay a rental fee for it.

If anyone has had to pay extra for a 40ft ladder please let me know.

I charge extra for the 40ft also, but not $80, most of the time it's $50, (unless the customer is going to be a pain in the ass). If You think it's to much, go on your roof & mount the dish yourself, then see what it is worth. Bet you won't do it for a living or you would not be complaining in the first place.

Dano said:
My installer showed up with an oversized ladder(mounted to their truck).
Since my roof has internal access requiring a 12 foot ladder, they asked if I had one they could use- rather than them unmounting theirs and lugging it up a few flights of stairs.
I suppose I should've charged THEM. :D

What most people forget when it comes to roof mounts is the fact that the cable has to run to the receiver, this means running the cable thru attics, or strapping it to the side of the house, (or worse, wall fish). This makes for a time consumming install, time that could be spent on another job, (ever wonder why installers are late for appointments?). If some customer tells me that he should charge me for something like a ladder, I most likely will abort the job due to the customer being a a$$hole.

KyInstaller said:
I charge extra for the 40ft also, but not $80, most of the time it's $50, (unless the customer is going to be a pain in the ass). If You think it's to much, go on your roof & mount the dish yourself, then see what it is worth. Bet you won't do it for a living or you would not be complaining in the first place.
This is why installers have a less than great reputation. Why pick a fight? Alto admitted he didn't know how much it was worth and is simply asking if it's a reasonable charge. So far YOU are the only one to say that it is too much. So why then puff up your chest and follow it up with that do it yourself horse&*%$? Grow up. No one fails to recognize the important job you do and the skills & equipment required to do it. Work on the self esteem bud.

In the post immediately before yours, he says that he's not opposed to paying extra for it, but thinks eighty bucks is too much. You say you usually charge fifty. Sounds like you two are on the same page.

KyInstaller said:
If some customer tells me that he should charge me for something like a ladder, I most likely will abort the job due to the customer being a a$$hole.
If it wasn't obvious to you that Dano was making a funny, you're about as bright as you are nice. :rolleyes:

TheTimm said:
This is why installers have a less than great reputation. Why pick a fight? Alto admitted he didn't know how much it was worth and is simply asking if it's a reasonable charge. So far YOU are the only one to say that it is too much. So why then puff up your chest and follow it up with that do it yourself horse&*%$? Grow up. No one fails to recognize the important job you do and the skills & equipment required to do it. Work on the self esteem bud.

In the post immediately before yours, he says that he's not opposed to paying extra for it, but thinks eighty bucks is too much. You say you usually charge fifty. Sounds like you two are on the same page.
I concur! Ease up a little Ky, you're trying to instigate something. Alto never objected to paying extra for a 40ft. ladder...just questioned whether is was worth $80. Personally, I have no problem with heights or working on the roof, but you couldn't pay me to work on a 40ft. ladder...scary stuff!

Alto101 said:
I just spoke with my installers and they indicated that I would be charged an $80 fee since they will need to use a 40 foot ladder to reach my roof. I thought that up to a 40 foot ladder was included in the professional installation? If not, is $80 reasonable? It sounds way too high in my opinion. Any help?

Thanks,
Ryan

alto101
since this is a voom install just call your local rental place and asked how much it cost to rent a 40ft ladder the voom installer is not to charge more than a local rental place. cause must installer do even carry a 40ft ladder they have to go rent on and that where the charges come in.

tyork

tyork,

I checked with my local rental place, they want $26 for the day to rent a 40 foot ladder. You mentioned that since this is a Voom install, the installer is not to charge more than the rental charge, how do I inform my installers of this policy and will Voom back me up on this?

Alto101 said:
tyork,

I checked with my local rental place, they want $26 for the day to rent a 40 foot ladder. You mentioned that since this is a Voom install, the installer is not to charge more than the rental charge, how do I inform my installers of this policy and will Voom back me up on this?

they should let me make a phone call and i will let you know where do you live at?

I live in New Albany, Indiana which is in the Louisville, KY metro area. My zip code is 47150

Thanks for your help!

Alto101 said:
I live in New Albany, Indiana which is in the Louisville, KY metro area. My zip code is 47150

Thanks for your help!

alto '

private messege me with your phone number my boss want to talk to you

I had to pay $50 for the installer to use a ladder. I mentioned this in the install thread last May when I got installed. I also got charged for the installer going under the house and for other incidentals including a power protector and a wireless phone jack that will never be used for Voom PPV now. The total bill came to about $450, and that was back when Voom was giving a "free install".

I think it is reasonable for installers to charge extra. But the installers should charge the company, not the customer, if the company told the customer it would be a "free install".

I griped about this on the forum last May. But in retrospect, now that I will probably lose Voom, and I even voted in the poll to "pay more" to keep Voom, the $450 install doesn't seem all that important. I would rather keep Voom!

I just got off the phone with my boss and for a voom install no installer should charge over 45.00 dollars for the 40ft ladder and no more than that to go under your house only a few company charge to go under your home and in the attic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts