Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I took a count tonight of how many HD ppv channels I got from D* and the count is 41.

Do we need that many freakin HD PPV channels, Why not cut it down to 21 and launch 20 National HD channels, and serve a better purpose. :up I'm sure some would love to see AMC, Epix, Skinimax (the rest of them) and insert favorite channel such as E!, G4 and FuseHD here, like BBCAHD.

Just seems like a waste of very good space.

PPV is where the money is at so it's unlikely they will use that bandwidth for something else. I think the bandwidth would be more useful to even throw more bits at the existing channels for a better picture. Unfortunately they don't think like us, they think in dollars and cents. :(

Rule of thumb: Follow the money trail. Like the late Gary Bourgois always said.

Last edited:
TVROpro is dead on. No money = no profit, no profit = no service; for any one. Can' t please everyone, and we all want more and more, but at the end of the day they have to make money and please investors.

Claiming that people will leave and still no profits doesn't hold water because that has not been the facts. PPV makes money; its that simple.

I don't see how PPV makes money in this day and age. I just don't..Too many other ways to get movies now.

And HOW do you get HD/SD movies that are not yet available on the regular outlets like HBO? Yes, if you want to wait for the trickle down movie food chain. I'm not a NetFlix customer, so I don't know if they get the PPV movies before they hit HBO, etc or not.

Personally, I "rent" most of my PPV movies through Apple TV as generally they are a dollar or so cheaper than PPV. However, with the garbage that passes for American movies in this day and age, if I rent one or 2 a month, that's above average. I think the entertainment dollar returns much more quality and adult content on the original programing that HBO and to a lesser extent, SHO provides.

So, DTV can take their PPV channels and shove it.

A lot of them are also temporary, and used for the premium sports packages at times.

And for the PPV makin money comments, Directv is doing quite well on them. Their 1080p PQ is quite good, and it's nice to have the option. I rent a lot of mine of Vudu HDX, and it's 5.99, which I have no problem paying.

These cinema channels aren't keeping us from getting HD, because we have plenty of space. Directv, the programmer, and the contracts are.

Elwaylite is correct, it could be as many as 10-15 of those channels that are at times needed for sports feeds and used for HD-PPV part time. Sundays in September they have Sunday Ticket, MLB, and some other things (nascar or soccer or something) that puts quite the push on their bandwith. April is another tight month with MLB starting and NHL/NBA in full swing. They will always keep those slots reserved to cover the needs of the sports packages.

That said, there is still 25 or so full time HD PPV channels that could become actual channels. They won't switch 25, but they have shown that as they add a channel they often remove an HDPPV. They are just maximizing revenue of the unused bandwith.

What they really need to do is get more aggressive on some of the HD agreements with basic channels like AMC for example. Directv still has several "basic cable" type channels not in HD that competitors do.

What they really need to do is get more aggressive on some of the HD agreements with basic channels like AMC for example. Directv still has several "basic cable" type channels not in HD that competitors do.

Exactly. HD PPV allocation is not keeping us from anything, the above is.

DIRECTV has claimed capacity for around 30 HD channels that remains unused. If they aren't regularly adding channels, it is because they don't see a business case for it.

Jason Crandall said:
Elwaylite is correct, it could be as many as 10-15 of those channels that are at times needed for sports feeds and used for HD-PPV part time. Sundays in September they have Sunday Ticket, MLB, and some other things (nascar or soccer or something) that puts quite the push on their bandwith. April is another tight month with MLB starting and NHL/NBA in full swing. They will always keep those slots reserved to cover the needs of the sports packages.

That said, there is still 25 or so full time HD PPV channels that could become actual channels. They won't switch 25, but they have shown that as they add a channel they often remove an HDPPV. They are just maximizing revenue of the unused bandwith.

IIRC the maximum number of peak usage of converting HD PPVs to sports channel is over 20 hd ppvs on peak time like Sunday when NFL,NBA and NHL is all going on

I took a count tonight of how many HD ppv channels I got from D* and the count is 41.

Do we need that many freakin HD PPV channels, Why not cut it down to 21 and launch 20 National HD channels, and serve a better purpose. :up I'm sure some would love to see AMC, Epix, Skinimax (the rest of them) and insert favorite channel such as E!, G4 and FuseHD here, like BBCAHD.

Just seems like a waste of very good space.
Look at it this way. What do they put up when ST and other non-RSN sports programming is not being used? Is it not better to use those ST channels as PPV vs network channels that get pulled down every time ST is on, and they can make some money off of it in the meantime?

Last edited:
I could see a rub if we were outta space to add channels, but we aren't. So I really do not care what they do with 41 PPVs, because we have free space for 30. They could drop 20 PPVs today, and it would still not help us any for new HD channels.

Wow. Over two years.
I guess they are looking to be careful with the capacity they have now.:(

Exactly. This has been stated, and the additions will be very strategic. In that way, I can't blame them. But I feel it's ridiculous we do not have AMC and BBCA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)