Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Have we heard any more on it? Last I heard was that Dish was going to try to get them out by August.

Wow, this is a thoroughly positive thread!

Seriously, if E* says the 411 will be out in August, it's possible. My understanding is that all the news for the 411 is pretty old, so the release date might have changed in the last few months. On something as "simple" as the 411, late August or September is my guess. You could always look at it as being released when MPEG4 is also, but it makes more sense to start changing boxes even when MPEG4 hasn't started its phase-in because E* will have to change out the boxes anyway. Unless there are technical issues with the 411, the sooner the better.

I am anxiously awaiting the 411, and am hoping its a gateway for an HD paradise of channels. I can't see 61.5, so I am looking forward to getting the VOOM channels, along with others.

kavula said:
Seriously, if E* says the 411 will be out in August, it's possible.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Good one!

kavula said:
Think good thoughts. Positive thoughts.
We are talking about Dish here. Seeing your number of posts, I can forgive your optimism as you must be a Dish newbie. ;) Give it a few years and you'll be a seasoned pessimist like the rest of us. :p

I have heard nothing about the 411 going to be released so maybe they decided to wait a while, then a while longer, as usual.

kavula said:
Think good thoughts. Positive thoughts.

Ignorance of Dish Network tactics is indeed bliss. The 921 was shown at CEDIA and I believe even won the highest award possible for most innovative product, but at the time it wasn't anywhere near ready for production. It was a full year before the market ever saw the 921. This, my friend, is the future of the 411.

Learn well. When Dish doesn't say anything, then they are actually planning something. When they say such and such will come out at such and such time... they lie. Very easy lesson.

What will drive Dish to get a MPEG-4 receiver out will be DirecTV which reportly has is about to release a MPEG-4 receiver.

DarrellP said:
We are talking about Dish here. Seeing your number of posts, I can forgive your optimism as you must be a Dish newbie. ;) Give it a few years and you'll be a seasoned pessimist like the rest of us. :p
Thanks for the enthusiasm. I'm actually a satelliteguys.us newbie. I've had E* for, I dunno, seven or eight years (have I graduated from dish newbie status?). I just think that a 311 replacement isn't that monstrously difficult to engineer.

kavula said:
Thanks for the enthusiasm. I'm actually a satelliteguys.us newbie. I've had E* for, I dunno, seven or eight years (have I graduated from dish newbie status?). I just think that a 311 replacement isn't that monstrously difficult to engineer.
No, it wouldn't be. But combining the 311 with the 811 functionality could be much more difficult.

Hey, the 942 made it to market relatively on-time, for a Dish receiver... Of course, "past performance is not a predictor of future earnings", or better yet, YMMV.

Poke said:
Have we heard any more on it? Last I heard was that Dish was going to try to get them out by August.

August 2005?

After my 811 experience, I'll let others be the 411 beta testers and wait to see how Dish handle the mpeg4 transition for existing customers.

Maybe they will finally learn from their mistakes made in the past but history always has a way of repeating itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)