5 Free Blu-ray movies with purchase of player....

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
PS3 included:

Five Free Blu-ray Movies with Purchase of Player

Posted June 26, 2007 by Josh

Blu-ray Disc The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has revealed an exciting offer for those of you who are still looking to pick up a Blu-ray player. If you purchase a Blu-ray player (including the PS3) between July 1st and September 30th, you will automatically qualify to receive 5 Blu-ray movies absolutely free. Combine this with existing offers (like the 5 free Blu-ray movies with purchase of a Panasonic DMP-BD10A), and you could receive up to 10 free Blu-ray movies with the purchase of a player.

But wait, there's more! If you decide you would like to purchase a PS3, Sony is offering a special deal through their retail Sony Style stores. Purchase a PS3, two games, and an extra controller from now until July 8th, and you will receive a $50 gift card.

Rebate information can be found at the following site:

www.bluraysavings.com

The site isn't up yet, but expect it to go live when the deal starts this weekend.

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray News - Five Free Blu-ray Movies with Purchase of Player

Well, this just might mean I buy before the end of September! I think I'll hold off a while, hoping for one to come out with all the "October 31" features, plus a network connection.

Thank you for the heads up.

Well, this just might mean I buy before the end of September! I think I'll hold off a while, hoping for one to come out with all the "October 31" features, plus a network connection.

Thank you for the heads up.

Still scarce news, but a new Samsung model - BD-1400- is due out in July. This 3rd gen. player coming so soon after their BD-1200 2nd gen. player make me wonder if it's not BD 1.1 compliant.

The Sony S-300 doesn't look impressive. Even though the manual claims it can decode Dolby TrueHD, it can't, and the HDMI port is only 1.1. Combined with the fact it will never be BD 1.1 complaint, it looks like it's already obsolete.

For a comparison of the BD specs, Wikipedia has a good explanation:

This is the basic profile that all current Blu-ray players (as of April 2007) are based on. Players based on this profile are only required to have 64 KB of application data area storage, which is typically used for bookmarks and other preference storage.[citation needed] Most players have more than the minimum required 64KB.[citation needed] After October 31, 2007 this profile will be superseded by profile 1.1 as the new minimum profile.

1.1 (mandatory November 2007)

What is typically referred to as "Profile 1.1" (but is more formally known as "Final Standard Profile") adds a secondary video decoder (typically used for picture in picture), secondary audio (typically used for interactive audio and commentary) and capability of supporting a minimum of 256MB of local storage (for storing audio/video and title updates). Compliance with this profile will be mandatory for player models introduced to the market after October 31, 2007[1], but existing products will be unaffected. No players compliant with this profile have been announced or released.

Some profile 1.0 players may be upgradeable via firmware update to profile 1.1 if they have the appropriate hardware, but no manufacturer has announced any such upgrade. When software authored with interactive features dependent on Profile 1.1 hardware capabilities are played on profile 1.0 players some features may not be available or may offer limited capability. Profile 1.0 players will still be able to play the main feature of the disc, however.

2.0 (BD-Live)

Profile 2, also known as BD-Live, adds network connectivity to the list of mandatory functions and increases mandatory local storage capability to 1 GB. No players have been announced as compatible with this profile.

Last edited:
I think I see a price drop on the PS3 coming earlier rather then latter. Just back from BJ's and they have a combo PS3 priced at $657 -- for that you get the 60GB, a choice of 1 game from 3, a second controller. Right now that is a $707 package for $657 -- a savings of $50. And now you will also get 5 free BluRay movies for another savings of $125.00 minmum. This is a very good way to jump into the PS3 and BluRay!

Still scarce news, but a new Samsung model - BD-1400- is due out in July. This 3rd gen. player coming so soon after their BD-1200 2nd gen. player make me wonder if it's not BD 1.1 compliant.

The Sony S-300 doesn't look impressive. Even though the manual claims it can decode Dolby TrueHD, it can't, and the HDMI port is only 1.1. Combined with the fact it will never be BD 1.1 complaint, it looks like it's already obsolete.

For a comparison of the BD specs, Wikipedia has a good explanation:

This is the basic profile that all current Blu-ray players (as of April 2007) are based on. Players based on this profile are only required to have 64 KB of application data area storage, which is typically used for bookmarks and other preference storage.[citation needed] Most players have more than the minimum required 64KB.[citation needed] After October 31, 2007 this profile will be superseded by profile 1.1 as the new minimum profile.

1.1 (mandatory November 2007)

What is typically referred to as "Profile 1.1" (but is more formally known as "Final Standard Profile") adds a secondary video decoder (typically used for picture in picture), secondary audio (typically used for interactive audio and commentary) and capability of supporting a minimum of 256MB of local storage (for storing audio/video and title updates). Compliance with this profile will be mandatory for player models introduced to the market after October 31, 2007[1], but existing products will be unaffected. No players compliant with this profile have been announced or released.

Some profile 1.0 players may be upgradeable via firmware update to profile 1.1 if they have the appropriate hardware, but no manufacturer has announced any such upgrade. When software authored with interactive features dependent on Profile 1.1 hardware capabilities are played on profile 1.0 players some features may not be available or may offer limited capability. Profile 1.0 players will still be able to play the main feature of the disc, however.

2.0 (BD-Live)

Profile 2, also known as BD-Live, adds network connectivity to the list of mandatory functions and increases mandatory local storage capability to 1 GB. No players have been announced as compatible with this profile.

I think Ill wait till all of this is in stone and worked out before I dump my first gen. Hopefully by 4th or 5th they've got em ready for everything.

That being said, I think the 5 free deal is pretty smart idea to compete.

how long does it normally take for people to receive thier disc? I mailed in my coupon like the last week of August and havent heard anything?

Status may be checked online here.

Or USA residents can call 1-800-72-DISNEY (1-800-723-4763). Canadian residents can call 1-877-823-0804.

I was late mailing mine out. I wonder how long I need to wait before I'm listed?

Sent the materials Certified Mail Oct 4. No return-receipt yet, but I called the listed number and spoke with a very nice gentleman. He verified the materials had been received and would be shipping shortly. He indicated an e-mail would be sent when the order is mailed, and to allow 3-4 weeks for receipt of the movies.

Some news is good news!

PS: The on-line system could not locate me.

Hmmmm. With no return receipt at this point, I'd be inclined to believe the online system over the guy on the phone. But I have no idea what you could do about it, other than send a letter with a copy of everything, noting it was sent certified and the online system doesn't find you.

These rebates are slow all around (either format). Hope you guys get them soon. When Panasonic had their 2 by mail, I got them in about two weeks.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)