5 most hated companies in America

wild goose

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
5 most hated companies in America

Whether it be poor customer service or employee resentment these companies really make their customers' blood boil.

By Douglas A. McIntyre, 24/7 Wall St.

24/7 Wall St. on MSN Money

PrevNext2 of 7

A Dish Network truck install a satellite television system © Matthew Staver/Bloomberg via Getty Images

5. DISH Network

Subscribers aren't impressed with DISH Network's (DISH) customer service. DISH earned a spot in MSN's 2013 Customer Service Hall of Shame largely because of its aggressive sales tactics. Customers also complained about confusing contracts and unreasonable cancellation fees.

DISH is not the only company in the industry that customers despise, however, it reaps additional notoriety because of its relationship with its employees. Based on a 24/7 Wall St. analysis of Glassdoor data, DISH was rated as the worst company to work for last year.

Chairman Charles Ergen holds a controlling interest in the company. GMI Ratings, which rates corporate governance on publicly traded companies, warned that his personal investments might present a conflict of interest with DISH shareholders. A GMI Ratings analyst cautioned that "These are things to be concerned about because they raise reasonable questions about conflicts of interest and the overall integrity of governance at the company."

Shareholders, on the other hand, have reason to be happy: DISH's stock is up more than 50 percent in the last year, and more than 325 percent in the past five years

Comcast, AT&T, Entergy would top my list. Beyond those, I'd have to think about it but those are without peer for me.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

If I am DISH I might not care what that list says, because two of the biggest companies in their field, and who generate more business than anyone else in their field, are on that list. McDonald's and Walmart.

Aggressive sales tactics? By whom? Dish has never tried to upsell me.

And customer service? Call on the phone and you'll be disappointed. But their DIRT is second to no one in offering assistance.

Aggressive sales tactics? By whom? Dish has never tried to upsell me.

Well, I get about 3-4 pieces of snail mail a week and about 3-4 emails per day from Dish trying to get me to sign up for service, and I am an existing customer. I can only imagine what non-customers must get.

The only mail and emails that I get are from 3rd parties trying to sell Dish.ATT and Charter on the other hand,constantly badger us wanting to renew ATT,or upgrade Charter.Of those 3 companies,Dish customer service is by far the best.I'm sure it's not that way for everyone,but that's how it is for me.

Ah, it's been 3 months, so that 24/7 Wall Street "report" needs to be recycled again...

Am I some kind of exception? I never had any problems with Dish or any of their CSR's. Granted, I wasn't pleased about the removal of Voom, but aside from that, I've been fairly happy with my AEP for something like 9 years.

As an installer for Dish I can honestly say they are the worst company to really work under not really for...I work for a service provider that contracts from them and the sh*t rolls down hill that's for sure!!! They require way too many nonsense numbers and percentages of things that are made to fail you no matter what you do in order to get paid even decent doing this work and its a shame too cause experience is what matters and my office is losing guys left and right cause of low pay and constant annoying crap from the dispatch dept and office in general.

Not sure what's so confusing about contracts with Dish

Me either, I was kind of wondering that too. The contract isn't that long or that confusing, but I am biased.

Oh, and about getting mailers from Dish. Remember, I work for dish, and I still get all the junk mail from the big resellers stuffed into the ads that come in my mailbox. The big resellers send that stuff to everybody. That is usually Infinity Dish and GoDish.

I've never had an issue w dish...I'm sure there are some horror stories though but I've been fortunate enough not to have one

The only company I have really had an issue w is Time Warner...so many horror stories I don't have enough time to describe it all...even know twc employees that say that it's not good especially customer service

We generally do not have issues with Dish because we spend a lot of time on here. We are generally more educated on how Dish works and know how to solve our own problems. When we can't solve it we know the best routes to take in order to get good help.

I think the average customer is setting themselves up for poor service. This is what I run across with my most outraged customers: They call me saying their Dish doesn't work and hasn't worked since it was installed. We find out that the install was done 2 months ago so they have just built up 2 months of rage. The first thing they do is call Dish and talk to a CSR that is not helpful at all. Now the customer is more upset because they got frustrated with a CSR. Finally we get to the customer's house and find the problem. It usually turns out to be a simple fix and now the customer is happy for the most part but has a negative view towards Dish and their service.

This whole outrage could have been solved if the customer called us as soon as they noticed a problem. Don't wait 2 months and don't call Dish at 9pm expecting to solve the problem. Quit setting yourself up for frustration people!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)