Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have a DISH 54.3 remote and I need to pair it to a different receiver. I removed the remote from the sys info screen, and went to the new receiver and hit the SAT button to pair it from the system info screen and it did nothing. I hit the remote button on the Joey 4 to try pairing that way and pressing SAT does nothing (it lites up the SAT light).

So I figured maybe it needed to be unpaired again, so am trying to manually do it. And the first step of doing that is pressing and holding the SAT button until the lights blink. The issue is I can press the SAT button and the lights never blink.

I have taken out the batteries and left them out for 15 minutes, tried fresh batteries and still no luck.

Any ideas? Maybe the remote is bad... but it was working fine before I unpaired it.

I have a DISH 54.3 remote and I need to pair it to a different receiver. I removed the remote from the sys info screen, and went to the new receiver and hit the SAT button to pair it from the system info screen and it did nothing. I hit the remote button on the Joey 4 to try pairing that way and pressing SAT does nothing (it lites up the SAT light).

So I figured maybe it needed to be unpaired again, so am trying to manually do it. And the first step of doing that is pressing and holding the SAT button until the lights blink. The issue is I can press the SAT button and the lights never blink.

I have taken out the batteries and left them out for 15 minutes, tried fresh batteries and still no luck.

Any ideas? Maybe the remote is bad... but it was working fine before I unpaired it.
I think the 3 light do not blink is because it is already unpaired, if you can get to the diagnostics screen on your J4 then try to pair by pushing the sat button.

I have had stubborn pairing issues too in the past. Have you tried pressing the Sat button down for five sections or so and release? I have done that and sit the remote down and after about 30 seconds or more it pairs. Really strange how sometimes the remotes are really stubborn to get them to pair.

I have had stubborn pairing issues too in the past. Have you tried pressing the Sat button down for five sections or so and release? I have done that and sit the remote down and after about 30 seconds or more it pairs. Really strange how sometimes the remotes are really stubborn to get them to pair.
Especially with these androids.

Last edited:
Really strange how sometimes the remotes are really stubborn to get them to pair.
Truely. I bought a 40.0 remote from an eBay seller many months ago and it just refused to pair. After fighting with it for weeks, I decided it was defective and was literally minutes away from throwing it in the trash. I decided to try ONE MORE TIME and it finally paired. I just hope it never decides to 'Unpair' itself.:oops:

• Haha
Reactions: charlesrshell
Another idea might be to try pairing the remote to the same receiver it was initially paired to, to see if the new Joey4 is the one refusing to connect and single out the problem that way.

As Partysox mentioned, if you hold SAT and only the SAT led lights up on the remote, that means the remote is currently unpaired and ready to go. If rebooting both receivers and the remote does not work, then the remote is most likely bad.

Especially with these androids.

I had the same problem with 54.0, 54.3, and 40.0 remotes on ALL of my Joey 4's, so I think it's software related.
I told Dish Tech support about it, as well as the problem where the screen is just black when I turn it on, even when I go to the Dish app (not Dish Anywhere -- the actual android tile that is supposed to let you watch Dish channels on the Joey 4). They have opened tickets for both issues, but I have no idea of where they stand on resolution (probably not doing anything :coco !)

I had the same problem with 54.0, 54.3, and 40.0 remotes on ALL of my Joey 4's, so I think it's software related.
I told Dish Tech support about it, as well as the problem where the screen is just black when I turn it on, even when I go to the Dish app (not Dish Anywhere -- the actual android tile that is supposed to let you watch Dish channels on the Joey 4). They have opened tickets for both issues, but I have no idea of where they stand on resolution (probably not doing anything :coco !)
Yes I think it's a software or firmware problem, It's a hit and miss issue and a known issue.