61.5 HD Core Migrations Update

Yes and not exactly. You will have to replace the 625 with another capable of MPEG4 if you go Eastern Arc. That's the bad news. The good news is that you can jettison both DP34s in favor of the integrated DPP switch inside the 1000.4 LNB assembly.

Thanks for the info.

Can anyone explain to a layman why dish has the PIT channels on 77 but not available I cant get 129 but cant switch to EA and keep my locals either (on 118.7). I am starting to get a little frustrated at the catch 22 that dish has me in here.... with 61.5 wing I could get all the HD now that things are going on 72.7 I would need another dish is a 5 dish setup even feasible?
If this needs to be moved to another thread

Could you use a 118.7 wing and have EA (61.5/72.7/77)? There's a LNB IN port on the EA dish to facilitate that kind of install.

I'm surprised your locals weren't moved. I thought 118.7 was International only or something like that.

Called yesterday to ask about all the new HD which I learned about here and not thru Dish. They said I needed the 61.5 Migration. Set up today, guy pulls up and says he can't do it. I'm in Williamsport Pa. We haven't been able to get the locals in HD since they went live a year and half ago and now he says the Eastern Arc won't work here either. In fact he had a bunch of jobs set up today for the same thing and he can't do them, they have a list of zip codes that won't work and we're one of them. He didn't know why Dish was scheduling installs when it known it won't work, and basically drove and hour and half for nothing. Of course he had no idea when or if the problem will be rectified. So as of now everyone else outside this area are getting 17 new HD channels PLUS the four local HD channels for the same price I'm paying without any inkling if it will change.

Called yesterday to ask about all the new HD which I learned about here and not thru Dish. They said I needed the 61.5 Migration. Set up today, guy pulls up and says he can't do it. I'm in Williamsport Pa.

Why not? Line of site? Or is Williamsport not an Eastern Arc market?

Well I just got off the phone with a manager out of the Harrisburg office who sent the tech this morning. Williamsport is outside the spot beam of the Eastern Arc and the HD locals. Dish knows of the problem and has the same situation in Jacksonville FL. That's what I was told. They don't know how or when it will be corrected. I told him I just want an answer and acknowledgment from Dish that there is a problem and if they can't fix it, then I know and can move on to a carrier that can. He said he's going to send a report to CO home office and see what he can find out.

Well I just got off the phone with a manager out of the Harrisburg office who sent the tech this morning. Williamsport is outside the spot beam of the Eastern Arc and the HD locals. Dish knows of the problem and has the same situation in Jacksonville FL. That's what I was told. They don't know how or when it will be corrected. I told him I just want an answer and acknowledgment from Dish that there is a problem and if they can't fix it, then I know and can move on to a carrier that can. He said he's going to send a report to CO home office and see what he can find out.

Jacksonville, FL is on CONUS at 77w.

The real joke is that they don't even technically need to fix the location of the HD/EA locals (although it would be nice...) All they need to do is fix the programming in their receivers so that we could have an EA dish plus a dish for 110 (or 119, whichever the SD MPEG2 locals are)! But as it stands now, according to earlier reports here anyway, if you try that, you only get ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox from 110, because the receiver tries the EA version of PBS/CW/MyTV and doesn't know enough to try 110 when it fails. (It knows enough to go to 110 for ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox because the SD/MPEG2 versions of those have unique channel numbers since the EA versions are HD, whereas the EA versions of the other, SD-only, ones apparently have identical channel numbers to their 110 counterparts.)

The whole city of Williamsport has no LOS?? :confused:

That's a new one on me....

The problem is that the spotbeams on 61.5 aren't pointing where they're supposed to point. It looks like they moved them for greater coverage of New York or something. As a result, the beam carrying the Scranton locals only covers the parts of the market that are close enough to Scranton to get them OTA anyway. (The Williamsport translators, as far as I know, are still analog, and only visible from within Williamsport itself.) Meanwhile, the Philadelphia/Washington beam puts in a killer signal here, and the Buffalo beam is usable too, but while that would let you watch your network programs, it wouldn't do you any good for local news.

what are the "locals"

The problem is that the spotbeams on 61.5 aren't pointing where they're supposed to point. It looks like they moved them for greater coverage of New York or something. As a result, the beam carrying the Scranton locals only covers the parts of the market that are close enough to Scranton to get them OTA anyway. (The Williamsport translators, as far as I know, are still analog, and only visible from within Williamsport itself.) Meanwhile, the Philadelphia/Washington beam puts in a killer signal here, and the Buffalo beam is usable too, but while that would let you watch your network programs, it wouldn't do you any good for local news.

So what is considered your "locals"?

Scranton is considered our locals. Works fine in SD on 119 (I was wrong, it's not 110). HD customers were set up with 119/110/61.5 even before Scranton HD locals existed. We were insulted when they ended up on a spotbeam on 61.5 that didn't cover us, but then this business of forcing people onto Eastern Arc started and now we have to make a choice between not having all the national HD or not having locals even in SD (or having half of the locals with an unsupported DIY installation.)

What is the most utterly mind-boggling and inexplicable is that, having announced that they want everybody switched to Eastern Arc, they didn't immediately put our locals on 77 where they have lots of space.

I currently have 110/119/61.5. I have no LOS to 129. Installers say my environment with all the trees prohibit a unified (1000.2 or 1000.4) dish. I'm eventually gonna have to cut down/back some trees and have a pole mount about 150' from my house to obtain a full EA (1000.4) install. In the meantime, I'm not worried about not receiving the new HD, but I certainly don't want to lose my current HD.

One installer came out, and easily repointed my 61.5 wing at 72.7. Being uninformed we eventually realized I lost most of my current HD. So, long story short, we re-pointed it to 61.5.

It's gonna be a while before I can get around to digging the trench and cutting down the trees for the 1000.4.

Since re-aiming the 61.5 at 72.7 was so easy, I intended to just wait until my current HD started migrating off 61.5. My biggest concern is to not lose FOX News HD and Spike HD or my HD locals (DFW DMA).

I suspect I know the answer to this, but will my HD slowly start dropping off 61.5 bit by bit for a long period of time, or will the channels remain on 61.5 until everything is on 72.7? If it all happens at once, then I can simply re-aim when it happens.

Also, what's gonna happen to my HD locals? I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth DMA and my HD locals are currently on both 61.5 and 110. Are there any plans to move my HD locals off of 110?

I understand my situation is not desirable, and some of you may simply say, "just get the full EA and stop fussing with it", but I will have to dig the trench and cut down the trees myself and I just don't really have the time for that now. DISH's moving around is upsetting a setup I've had for over 10 years. I've been a DISH customer for over 13 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts