622 HDD Replacement

OK, I got the correct Hard Drive Replacement..
Before I replaced the bad one, I tried to reformat through the menu cmmands.. My 622 went to the 2 flashing red lights on the front and won't get out of that.. I have the new hard drive in place but still coming up to the 2 red flashing lights and won't do anything else.

Any ideas out there.. I founds something that said let it sit and stream for 24 hours and the lights may go away, so I am going to try that.. If anyone has any good thoughts or ideas on this or any other solution, please let me know.

Unhook the SATA cable from the drive. Start the receiver up with no drive connected. It should boot and go through normal startup except it will give you an error that PVR functions won't work.

Turn it off and put the new drive in. It should now work.

Unhook the SATA cable from the drive. Start the receiver up with no drive connected. It should boot and go through normal startup except it will give you an error that PVR functions won't work.

Turn it off and put the new drive in. It should now work.

Reboot doesn't solve this problem.. Need someway to clear the NVRam but can't get it to give me a menu.

Reboot doesn't solve this problem.. Need someway to clear the NVRam but can't get it to give me a menu.

I'm not 100% sure about this but does this thing retain a small battery in it? If so pull the battery out and leave it unplugged a few mins to try and clear the memory.

As for a good place to get a good deal on drives yall should try newegg... I've always gotten my parts from there for my side job on repairing PC's.

Try this:

Plug in a usb memory stick to the front panel usb port with the 2 red lights flashing. It works with the internal HDD drive plugged in or not plugged in. A windows pops up on screen asking you to configure the new media found. Just cancel, and than you can get into your menu. Do a clear NVRAM then remove power for at least a minute. The 2 red lights will continue to be on, until you do this.

Got it going.. I let it stream for a while and finally the lights quit flashing.. It booted up so I could get to the menu and I cleared the NVRAM.. Pluged in the new harddrive, and it did a reset and format and it's back up and running.. My 622 now has 55 hours HD since I went with the 722 Harddrive..

Thanks for all the help out here..

Thank goodness that this thread exists...the drive in my owned 622 went belly-up this morning and I need to replace it pronto.

Confused by the 'approved' drive list...should I spend more to get the seagate's linked to above, or this model listed earlier in the thread as compatible (which I can get here, w/ free my Prime shipping):

Amazon.com: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA NCQ 16 MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Y6D09hxoL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Y6D09hxoL

UPDATE: Never mind on that drive, as I just realized it's not a perfect match (I think)--Amazon apparently has a high tolerance for off-SKU search returns and I didn't realize it was a different model. BUT:

Is there a drive swap instruction manual anywhere, btw? I'm fairly proficient, but nervous to head blindly into the crack-the-case and don't turn back foray...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Details for 722K unit... 622 is probably similar

1. purchase proper hard drive and unplug unit
2. remove 4 case cover screws on back of unit
3. remove cover
4. pop off front panel by depressing front panel clips and pushing panel away from front
5. remove hard drive bracket screws front, side, rear and unplug hard drive
6. install new hard drive, drive bracket, and attach hard drive data and power cable
7. plug in unit and wait (up to 5 minutes) error message appears asking for reformat
8. choose okay and wait until format and reload of data on hard drive is completed

note: units have an anti-tamper decal/easily damaged sticker on the side mounting point on the hard drive bracket... no matter to me as I own the VIP722k... but wa still able to pull the sticker away without damaging it

Thanks, Timpanogos...seems straightforward indeed. Meant to reply yesterday, but was getting over a stomach flu that hit our house New Years Day. Yeah, 2010! :)

Much easier than going through the multi-call/shipping hassles and expense apparently inherent in this situation w/ an out-of-warranty owned unit...

Now, I guess I'll be ordering that drive today--darn why can't it be available thru Amazon/New Egg?!

Last edited:
OK, I got the correct Hard Drive Replacement...

Can I ask what drive you used and where you ordered it from? I've tried the links above for the ST3500830SCE--still waiting on a price quote from the first site and the second now fails to turn up the Seagate. I see a few popping up in searches, but most that are available are refurbs, which makes me nervous--cheapest from a decent-reviewed reseller is here (anyone know this outfit?):

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...ium=ShoppingSites&utm_campaign=ST3500830SCE-R

I just need a compatible replacement drive--Argh! Makes me think I should order one from Dish :). Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Can I ask what drive you used and where you ordered it from? I've tried the links above for the ST3500830SCE--still waiting on a price quote from the first site and the second now fails to turn up the Seagate. I see a few popping up in searches, but most that are available are refurbs, which makes me nervous--cheapest from a decent-reviewed reseller is here (anyone know this outfit?):

Seagate DB35.3 500GB SATA/300 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drive Seagate ST3500830SCE

I just need a compatible replacement drive--Argh! Makes me think I should order one from Dish :). Thanks in advance...

I actually cheated.. I am a Dish Dealer.. Customer gave me a busted 722 with a good Seagate Drive in it.. I cannibalized the HDD from it.. Never could find one at a price I wanted to pay.

That's where I got mine. Good service and the drive works fine so far.

Great, good to know. That may be my avenue as well.

I did find this site that claimed to have a new drive at a decent price ($77). Anyone know anything about these guys (Flatrox.com)?:

Seagate DB35.3 Series Hard Drive

And, skyviewmark, you sly dog--doh! If only I had the pickings you have access to ;)!

Last edited:
Ahhhhh!!!

I got busy at work this week, was waiting on a quote from a one of the link-supplied vendors above that never materialized...and when I finally went to order the drive this afternoon. Gone! All my bookmarked sources--'Out of Stock'!

Crap. What do I do now. Switch to U-verse? The real thing that pushed me back to Dish above some other bundle choices I could have entertained was this DVR I owned and wanted to use...seriously, now that it's 1/2 dead and looks to cost lots of time/money to resurrect. There's GOT to be an easier way...

geeks.com has the certified rebuilt drive and my refurb drive works great in my VIP722k. These things sell out fast and if you need one, $42 isn't bad insurance. This is an old Seagate drive from about a year and a half ago, so finding a new drive of this specific model will be all but impossible. If you want to salvage your DVR, get the refurb drive now before they are all gone.

Yeah, I ordered from Geeks this afternoon--well, sort of. I ordered through Buy.com, paying through Amazon Marketplace, and found that they were being supplied via Geeks. So, since Geeks is saying 'Out of Stock', I e-mailed them to inquire on expected availability/ship timetable...fingers crossed its not gone for good from reliable vendor supply chains.

Thanks again for the feedback/advice. Hopefully I can get this drive within the next week or so.

I ordered one of these refubs from geeks, really good service, got it in less than a week!
Now I am trying to get the receiver to use it, I do not know what I am doing wrong the receiver will not boot all the way with this harddrive hooked up!

The first time I plugged it in after the install it said it was corupted and needed to reformat the drive and I agreed then the 622 started the counstant reboot and that is where I am at now.

I tried the old drive again and the 622 wanted to repair it, but that didn't work either, now my 622 is useless at this point! JW

Try formatting the "geeks" drive to NTFS (nt file system), using your regular computer. Then try it in the 622 again. What may need to happen is that you may need to "initialize" the drive and put a file system on it for the hard drive to be recognized by the 622. The NTFS would then be replaced by linux when the 622 reformats the drive. I had no issues on my hard drive substitution. There is also the possibility that you might have other issues wrong with your 622 instead of the hard drive.

Last edited:
Try formatting the "geeks" drive to NTFS (nt file system), using your regular computer. Then try it in the 622 again...There is also the possibility that you might have other issues wrong with your 622 instead of the hard drive.

Hoping I don't run into this, but good to know. The 622 failed today, out of the blue...don't know if the old/nonfunctional drive is heating this up too much or what, but the unit refused to power up this morning for regular receiver viewing. I unplugged it and it tried to reformat/'clean' the old drive, but failed to 'wake up' afterwards. Its currently unplugged and "resting" until I return this eve and give it another go--hope its not a totally dead unit, because:

On a good note, I was notified this morning that the replacement drive has already shipped out from Geeks--that's FAST!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)