622 Rain annoyance

bratboy

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2005
Denver CO
Its really annoying that if a heavy storm hits and we lose Sat signal the entire box is useless. I understand that if I want to watch something via sat and its out it has to do the finding signals proceedure, that sort of thing I'd expect. However very fustraiting to have 30hrs of recordings I cant watch if the sat signal is lost. Im hopeing there is a setting I can change or something but is there some way to set things so on the occational outage I can still watch stuff I've already recorded?
Thx for any advice

I have not tried it on the 622, but my old 625 would access recordings without signal by pressing the DVR button on the remote.

It may just be a prob with my box. Girl from Dish said it should work as well but mine doesnt seem to work right. When the Sat signal is lost I can pull up the DVR section but then when I try to play anything I just get a black screen, no recording. Sounds like maybe my box has a defect. Her suggestion was to call Dish when it happens, ie next time a storm knocks the sat out, and they can try to figure out whats going on. Is it possible the reason it acts up for me is my box is not connecting to a phone line? Would seem an odd reason but these days you never know

"tsduke
You can access them after the timeout period, but the timeout is way too long. "

How long is the timeout and is it something that can be changed, duration wise?

I'm not sure of the time, but it's after it fails to aquire any sats. It would be nice if that could be done in the background while we continue to watch DVR or OTA.

I generally can access my DVR recordings during rain fade. I say generally, because for the first time this past weekend i was unable to on one of my 622s. The show would flash for a brief second and then go to black. I rebooted, and it corrected the problem.

I was getting a '530' check switch error, and was also unable to access OTA. That's a first also.

Other than this one odd occurance, i have always been able to access my DVR'd stuff during the 10 or so rain fades i've had since i got my 622s in January.

I think this is a problem with your 622, I took my 622 down to my daughters in FL and played recorded programs and 622 was not hooked to a dish

I think this is a problem with your 622, I took my 622 down to my daughters in FL and played recorded programs and 622 was not hooked to a dish

That would sort of make sense tho. If I understand correctly the Box and Dish communicate with each other so when there is a dish connected it insists on trying to find sat signal and won't let you do anything while it tries untill a timeout period. Whereas if no dish connected the box can tell so it simply skips the Aquiring/timeout period and letting you get straight to playing back a DVR'd item

I could and quite often am wrong tho, hehe

Check the aim on your dish. If it's good, maybe you would be ahead to put up a larger dish, like a 1000.

I very rarely have rain fade- maybe once a year for a few seconds. But where I live there's not much rain, and rarely what I'd call heavy.

Already using the 1000. Normally rain and storms dont cause an issue for me but then again we were getting 1 1/2 inches an hr rain hail etc at the same time last night and the one other time it drove me crazy was when that really nasty snowstorm passed thru. Last night everything came back within 30 minutes after the bulk of the storm passed but still annoying. As someone else suggested it would be nice if they could make aquiring a background thing thus eliminating the need of a timer

Not sure about the recordings, but I have experienced rain fade a couple of times in the past week and have been able to watch my OTA by going to menu then program guide and selecting one of my OTA's. Or maybe I just lucked out and my unit timed out at the same time I hit menu.
I have had my 622 do a spontaneus reboot during one rainstorm. Dont know if it had anything to do with watching a program from the 129 sat or not (my signal strength on 129 is in the 40's and 50's) but it was pretty much worthless until the storm passed.

Unless the new software updates have changed things, I take our 622 on camping trips without a dish and have no problems watching recorded shows.

When the "acquiring sat" screen comes up I just hit the DVR button and watch a recording. Typically we camp in tall trees and it'd be difficult to see a sat, so the DVR supplies all of our "programming".

I doubt that having a sat cable hooked up should make any difference but you could disconnect it and try your 622 again. I sure HOPE the software updates haven't changed anything. I'll try accessing the DVR w/o having the sats acquired in the next few days and post results if nobody else has by then.

Phil

Ack!! Why was the thread moved? It effects SD besides the HD dvr'd stuff and at least was getting some responses to try and understand/figure things out. Now since moved no responses at all <runs away crying, LOL>

Ack!! Why was the thread moved? It effects SD besides the HD dvr'd stuff and at least was getting some responses to try and understand/figure things out. Now since moved no responses at all <runs away crying, LOL>

Well, HERE'S a new response:

I verified last night that I could watch DVR programs without the satellites being "acquired". I did a full reboot then when it was at step 1 of "acquiring sat" I hit the DVR button and after a short pause was able to watch anything recorded.

The satellite was connected to the 622. I show L4.03 for software version.

Bratboy, when/if this happens again, try a master reboot and THEN access your DVR when the "acquiring" screen appears. Maybe your 622 is malfunctioning. Or maybe this DVR access doesn't work the same if you are watching programs and the rain fade causes the unit to start acquiring AGAIN the satellites.

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)