Does dish install in the rain?

zippydbs

Original poster
Oct 29, 2023
New York
Hi there a bit new here we recently switched to Dish and the install went a bit sideways

First tech did the install perfectly but didn't install the eastern arc dish and said it wasn't needed so all we get is our international channels and locals in SD.

Second tech is scheduled today although it's raining so not sure if they will be able to complete the install since it's a bit darker today due to the rain. Do dish techs install in the rain or if it's a dark outside since it seems in our case they just need to go onto the roof again and add an eastern arc dish.

Thanks

Hi there a bit new here we recently switched to Dish and the install went a bit sideways

First tech did the install perfectly but didn't install the eastern arc dish and said it wasn't needed so all we get is our international channels and locals in SD.

Second tech is scheduled today although it's raining so not sure if they will be able to complete the install since it's a bit darker today due to the rain. Do dish techs install in the rain or if it's a dark outside since it seems in our case they just need to go onto the roof again and add an eastern arc dish.

Thanks
I had a tech show up when it was extremely cold out, and there was snow everywhere, including the roof, and it was also dark outside. I felt so bad for him, and I told him that I could always reschedule, but got the job done, and he did an awesome job. My wife felt sorry for him, and told him to come in and warm up when he had the dish installed. So, the installers that I have had in the past are like postmen, rain, snow, cold, hot, and even darkness does not phase them at all.

Thanks
Dish techs install in any weather conditions as long as they are safe.
If your HD locals are on the Eastern Arc, there's a lot more than just adding an EA dish. They have to change the LNB on the International Dish to an older style that most offices don't stock anymore which is probably why you have the setup you have now

Reactions: charlesrshell
I had a tech show up when it was extremely cold out, and there was snow everywhere, including the roof, and it was also dark outside. I felt so bad for him, and I told him that I could always reschedule, but got the job done, and he did an awesome job. My wife felt sorry for him, and told him to come in and warm up when he had the dish installed. So, the installers that I have had in the past are like postmen, rain, snow, cold, hot, and even darkness does not phase them at all.
I always said we make the postmen look like sissies lol

I see a lot if people mention getting on the roof and have customers ask about it too all the time. But generally we don't actually get on the roof. We lean our ladders against it and mount on the overhang and all is fine from the ladder without climbing on the roof. Freezing cold, rain, snow, high wind, doesn't matter, we are still doing it lol. Now there's a few exceptions like if it's raining so much we can't get signal or if the conditions are too bad for driving. And we have lights for the dark.

I see a lot if people mention getting on the roof and have customers ask about it too all the time. But generally we don't actually get on the roof. We lean our ladders against it and mount on the overhang and all is fine from the ladder without climbing on the roof. Freezing cold, rain, snow, high wind, doesn't matter, we are still doing it lol. Now there's a few exceptions like if it's raining so much we can't get signal or if the conditions are too bad for driving. And we have lights for the dark.

Depends on where you're at. I was in hilly Western PA with a look angle on 129 of 24 degrees, had to get pretty creative to find a mounting location in a lot of places.

Depends on where you're at. I was in hilly Western PA with a look angle on 129 of 24 degrees, had to get pretty creative to find a mounting location in a lot of places.
I've installed in similar situations several times, and it's always a hassle. But since Dish dropped the 129 sat, western arc setups here in the east have been a lot easier. Even at my upstate NY private RV site where I used to run a couple of hundred feet of coax across the neighbor's land to setup in the middle of a limited access dirt road to test my supply of used WA LNBF's, now I can set up and test them just a dozen feet away from my permanent EA dish on just 50' of coax.