722 jerky HD playback (audio is fine)

STL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Yesterday evening I get home and turn on my 722 and notice the playback was very jerky -- like only 1 of 10 frames was actually being displayed. The audio was fine, but the video is pretty much unwatchable. I checked both the Component and HDMI outputs (on different TVs) and both saw the same issue. I then tried to watch a prerecorded program and had the same issue. So I then selected one I already watched last night -- so I knew it was good -- and still had the same issue. I cycled power on the unit but that didn't help either. I also noticed when the video was not full screen (because I had the Guide or Menu up) then the video looked okay. I then checked TV2's SD output, and it also looked fine (even full screen). So the problem only affected the video playback in HD and only when it was full screen. At this point I reset the unit (via hold the button on the front of the unit) and when it came back things were back to normal.

My question is, has anyone else seen this problem. If so, was it a symptom of a dying 722? My unit has only been running since Feburary so it's relatively new, but I hear the 722s are not very reliable.

Yes. I've had the same thing happen over the past few weeks. I hope the 722 isn't dying. :) More likely due to the latest software update a few weeks ago. It even happened on a movie I recorded six months ago that I was watching off my external hard drive. I've been able to get rid of it by either pausing, switching between tuners, skipping backwards then forwards again. Very annoying.

The jerking issue has been around on both my 622 and 722 for a very long time and has been independent of what software was loaded. As you found out, switching channels or a re-boot will clear it up usually.

The jerking issue has been around on both my 622 and 722 for a very long time and has been independent of what software was loaded. As you found out, switching channels or a re-boot will clear it up usually.
I tried pausing, rewinding, fast forwarding, and changing channels -- but nothing fixed the situation until I did the reboot. How often are others seeing this happen? Anyone else find this troubling?

I have seen this a couple times on my 722. One time it rebooted itself when it was happening. The other time, I rebooted it, and the problem went away.

Ted

I've had the same problem a couple of times and I just turn the tv off and back on it clears it up, so I'm thinking it is an HDMI issue.
When I had the issue, I checked my other TV which is connected to the 722 via the Component HD output and it also had the jerkiness -- so at least in my case it was not a HDMI/HDCP issue.

I've been seeing this a lot more frequently on my 622 in the last month or so, I figured it was one of the recent software updates.

I've been seeing this a lot more frequently on my 622 in the last month or so, I figured it was one of the recent software updates.

Ditto, same with my 622. I usually go to a live channel and then go back to the recorded event I was watching and it clears up.

It could be an overheating issue. My 722 used to have the problem when it was inside an audio rack with exhaust fans. It does not help that I live in FL and keep the AC at 80 - everyday is exactly the same from July through October - high 92, low 82. Setting the AC any lower makes the outdoors unbearable. Since moving the 722 to a free standing area and placing it on bottle cap risers the problem has gone away. The internal high temperature has gone down 10 degrees, too.

You can check the temperature in Setup. 6>3> "Counters" scroll down.

I've seen this on a couple occasions -- for some reason the HDMI connection will hang this up for the component output as well. In my case I've found if you reset the HDMI connection to force it do re-handshake it clears up the issue. I use a HDMI switch between the 722 and my TV, so switching inputs forces a re-handshake and fixes the issue. In your case you can probably do the same thing by either power cycling your TV or unplugging / replugging the HDMI cable.

I am seeing it again this morning! I did some more "testing" this time, and this jerky-video issue only seems to be affecting some channels. I have TurboHD Silver, and only have HD channels setup -- so it's not a SD versus HD thing. It seems like most channels are having the issue (ones like Pallidia, CNN, Cartoon Network, Disney, Versus, CBS College Sports, etc.) but a few -- like ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, FSC -- are working just fine. I looked at my local channels (the one I get via satellite) and few of them work fine (Fox2, Pbs9) while others (Cbs4, Nbc5) are having the jerky issue.

Based on what I am seeing now, the issue does not appear to be a problem with the HDD. I did a Menu->6->1->3 and it said everything was "good" and all three satellites showed green.

I know I can do a reset and fix it, but I'd rather try to get to the bottom of it so I don't have to do a reset twice (or more) a week!!! Anyone one else have some observations on the issue?

I have a monoprice 4[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]X2 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDMI powered switcher/splitter, so I turned it off and checked the component output of my 722, and I still saw the jerky-video issue. I then hit the Mode button on the front panel and change from Dual to Single mode -- and then the jerky video went away! But upon going back in Dual mode the jerkiness returned. I tried it a couple more times with the same results. I then powered on my swither/splitter (while in Dual mode) and the jerky video went away.

So it now appears to be some kind of HDMI/HDCP handshaking issue. I've been using this same switcher/splitter the entire time with my 722 and have never had this issue until just this week. That makes me wonder if some new software "upgrade" on the 722 is really behind this new problem.

It's still odd that the issue only occurs with some channels and not others -- and that even the "problem" channels work fine (no jerky video) when the guide/menu is being shown (so the video isn't full screen) or on the TV2 output.
[/FONT]

So both of you don't even have a HDMI cable hooked up to your 722s?

I was looking at Component when doing my investigation above (post #15) but I had the HDMI cable connected. There are a lot of odd things with this issue.

Correct, I am using component on my 722 where I saw the jerky video a couple times. No HDMI at all.

Ted

So both of you don't even have a HDMI cable hooked up to your 722s?

I was looking at Component when doing my investigation above (post #15) but I had the HDMI cable connected. There are a lot of odd things with this issue.

No HDMI at all for me. I only have a front of TV port and there seems to be no difference between Component and HDMI so I use component.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)