8/11/2010 4:36pm - Uplink Activity Report - 108 changes

cardinalrooter

Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 19, 2008
North Central Illinois
I am in Davenport IA and have 110, 119 & 129 setup on a single 1000 dish. The new HD locals ar on 77w. What do I need to do to receive these on 77w? Do I need another dish?

In November, 2009, Dish announced Davenport HD locals to be available on 11/18/09 but never happened till this wednesday. Back in November Dish CSR set me up for a wing dish installation for 77W. Only pre-requisite at that time was a 2-year agreement.. Now we finally have local HD:)
r

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
Move to Shreveport

IF I am looking at the "map" correctly, I could "move" to Shreveport. It is closer than Baton Rouge. I am on the "fringe" with Baton Rouge. I loose signal fairly easy in cloud cover.

My zip code is 71260. Am I looking at the spotbeam map correctly for Shreveport HD? I live approx. 100 miles east of Shreveport.

Thanks

96corvette

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jun 23, 2006
Northwest Louisiana
IF I am looking at the "map" correctly, I could "move" to Shreveport. It is closer than Baton Rouge. I am on the "fringe" with Baton Rouge. I loose signal fairly easy in cloud cover.

My zip code is 71260. Am I looking at the spotbeam map correctly for Shreveport HD? I live approx. 100 miles east of Shreveport.

Thanks

move to Shreveport with the correct address, with the correct ZIP, use chat for the move

t3rror

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 1, 2005
CSR chat just told me I would be responsible for the $95 service charge to have a wing dish installed. I will not be paying for their decision to put my locals on a satellite that no equipment in my DMA is configured to work with.

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
Hell will freeze over...

CSR chat just told me I would be responsible for the $95 service charge to have a wing dish installed. I will not be paying for their decision to put my locals on a satellite that no equipment in my DMA is configured to work with.

Neither will I. I have been with Dish for 10+ years and Hell will freeze over before I pay a fee for there choices. Maybe they had no choice BUT really why should the consumer be responsible for this. Piss poor business practice.

bacchus101

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 10, 2006

Here is what I would do...

I'd sign up for the $6 a month service agreement, get my first appointment free to install the wing, and then cancel and pay the $25 cancellation fee.

It still sucks, but $25 is better than $95, right?

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
Here is what I would do...

I'd sign up for the $6 a month service agreement, get my first appointment free to install the wing, and then cancel and pay the $25 cancellation fee.

It still sucks, but $25 is better than $95, right?

DTV, HR24 No charge. I realize the HR24 is not a slam dunk but I can easily make that happen with $0 Installation Charge and NO charge for 2 Receivers. One a HSDVR, One A HD Receiver.
DTV will have the locals within the year at max. for Monroe DMA.

Now, IS THIS SMART?; Loose a 10 year excellent customer over $95? I will move back to Monroe DMA and see...
No threat; just fact.
I have worked the system before with success because I am a customer who always pays on time and have been with Dish 10+ years.
There choice because I have choices.

wilcocat

Oct 5, 2009
Kentucky
They are playing hardball. No waive no way. I have been a customer for years. Never missed paying my bill. Waited 2 years for local HD. Today I'm told it will cost me $95.00 or I can sign up for service @ $6 per month. My bill has already gone up this year and is increasing again next month after by loyalty credits end. I canceled my service. I have to find new service. I love Dish's products but I've reached my tipping point. I understand the techs need to be paid to set up the new dish etc. Dish should pay them, not me.

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
DTV, HR24 No charge. I realize the HR24 is not a slam dunk but I can easily make that happen with $0 Installation Charge and NO charge for 2 Receivers. One a HSDVR, One A HD Receiver.
DTV will have the locals within the year at max. for Monroe DMA.

Now, IS THIS SMART?; Loose a 10 year excellent customer over $95? I will move back to Monroe DMA and see...
No threat; just fact.
I have worked the system before with success because I am a customer who always pays on time and have been with Dish 10+ years.
There choice because I have choices.

Choices are good. And yes you can get an HDDVR and a HD receiver for zip from D*, and maybe it will be an HR24, but that isn't a guaranteed thing you know.

And maybe D* gets Monroe DMA within a year, but that isn't guaranteed, just like it wasn't for Dish.

But what you get from D* is loss of many national HD channels, a 2nd HD tier that actually has decent channels in it; but gain a lot of sports if you are willing to pay the extra.

Unfortunately, given the attitude at Dish these days, you may either pay something for the repoint/re-arc or cancel Dish altogether. So far no one is reporting them budging on the fee.

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
$95 no way would I pay that, glad I am on 119 :up

I will probably just "move" to Shreveport for signal strength reasons. I live 30 miles north of Monroe and it looks like I would receive a strong signal from Shreveport 119 spot beam. Am I right here?
I enjoy Baton Rouge but I am on the yellow fringe.

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
I will probably just "move" to Shreveport for signal strength reasons. I live 30 miles north of Monroe and it looks like I would receive a strong signal from Shreveport 119 spot beam. Am I right here?

You look like you should be solid there.....

bacchus101

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 10, 2006

I just got two new vip722k receivers, a wing added and all new wiring with ground (my local installer didn't do it right back in '99) for the amazingly low price of free + $6 a month for the service plan which allows me to leave my equipment plugged in during lightning storms, to tempt fate for the heck of it.

And if I wanted to, I could call now and cancel the service plan for $25.

That isn't much money for all the work I had done, plus the receiver upgrades.

I understand where you are coming from with the locals being moved, but at the same time you could easily work the system, pay a minimal fee and get whatever you need done (heck, I had my original Dish 500 moved to a new location as well because of tree growth in the last 10 years) during the tech visit.

I did my research (with a lot of help from people on this forum) and got everything I wanted for a minimal fee. No complaints as a long time user and now I am set up for the future being on EA w/ MPEG-4 boxes.

Last edited:

96corvette

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jun 23, 2006
Northwest Louisiana

not sure what you signal should be, here in Shreveport it is 65, guess that is OK? :confused:

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
I'm in West Monroe, but I'm just going to keep my Baton Rouge moved locals. I get the others OTA. One day, I'll switch out, bit I'll just buy my own dish. I have LOS to both arcs.

I can buy my own Dish and not have to wait around for an installer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts