922 is messed up big time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
It just starting doing this out of the clear blue sky. The channels are changing in rapid fashion, and nothing I do makes it stop. The 922 doesn't respond to the remote nor any buttons on the front panel. I've already unplugged it at least 10 different times so far, one of those times for at least an hour...when it comes back on, it's once again in the channel changing loop. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I have no clue myself. But it has nothing to do with any lost remotes that are stuck or anything, in case someone suggests that as a possible culprit. I still have a working 905, but that won't do me any good with dvb, since I use the 922 to move the dish. Any clues?

More info needed. What were you doing just before this happened and before you shut it off last? Sit down take a deep breath and think through what the events were that led up to this.
Remember these units are old and presently are being asked to do things they were not designed for. I hope it is not bad code being received as that could affect us all. Also I hope that your unit is not failing.

My 922 was acting crazy two nights ago. When I looked at the panel clock I noticed a flashing dot at the bottom right side of the last digit. I turned the receiver on and noticed the dialog box concerning the fine tuning was really acting crazy. I quickly unplugged the unit, waited a few minutes, plugged it back. Seems to stop the problem. Few minutes later it started again.
I wanted to change to another satellite but when I go to the satellite list screen, I noticed each satellite was lighting up and to go to a satellite, I had to wait until the satellite is highlighted then I would hit enter.
It would go to the satellite.
However the craziness kept on until I unplugged the unit from the power strip and plugged it straight to the wall outlet.
No more problems! At least for now. I will get a new power strip.

My 922 was acting crazy two nights ago. When I looked at the panel clock I noticed a flashing dot at the bottom right side of the last digit. I turned the receiver on and noticed the dialog box concerning the fine tuning was really acting crazy. I quickly unplugged the unit, waited a few minutes, plugged it back. Seems to stop the problem. Few minutes later it started again.
I wanted to change to another satellite but when I go to the satellite list screen, I noticed each satellite was lighting up and to go to a satellite, I had to wait until the satellite is highlighted then I would hit enter.
It would go to the satellite.
However the craziness kept on until I unplugged the unit from the power strip and plugged it straight to the wall outlet.
No more problems! At least for now. I will get a new power strip.

That's pretty much what mine is doing..there's that little dot flashing to the right of the last digit to the right. I'm stuck on G1 and it keeps cycling thru the digital channels..then the analog channels..then the digital channels...nonstop. It was doing this when I woke up this morning. I already tried plugging it straight into an outlet, instead of the powerstrip, but didn't help a thing. You said yours eventually stopped doing this. Hopefully I get lucky as well. I'm going to go plug it back in again before I submit this post.

Waiting for it to boot in. Nope..still doing it, except now the clock is showing,,but about 5 hours off. That light is still rapidly blinking to the right of the displayed time. So it def isn't working properly yet.

highskies said:
That's pretty much what mine is doing..there's that little dot flashing to the right of the last digit to the right. I'm stuck on G1 and it keeps cycling thru the digital channels..then the analog channels..then the digital channels...nonstop. It was doing this when I woke up this morning. I already tried plugging it straight into an outlet, instead of the powerstrip, but didn't help a thing. You said yours eventually stopped doing this. Hopefully I get lucky as well. I'm going to go plug it back in again before I submit this post.

Waiting for it to boot in. Nope..still doing it, except now the clock is showing,,but about 5 hours off. That light is still rapidly blinking to the right of the displayed time. So it def isn't working properly yet.

Could be the front panel buttons, something stuck behind them.

Take the batteries out of the remote or put it in the other room, then unplug the unit.

Now rapidly press each button on the front panel, like 10 times in a second.

Now plug it back in and keep yer fingers crossed!

There are micro switches in the front panel that are spring loaded. When the tiny spring breaks the button gets jammed in a NC position. I have seen those go bad on things before. Take the unit apart and check with a DVM to see if there are any buttons showing continuity without being pressed.

If that isn't the culprit you may have a component failing, corrupted memory etc. Also try disconnecting the LNB and see if that stops it.

Last edited:
There are micro switches in the front panel that are spring loaded. When the tiny spring breaks the button gets jammed in a NC position. I have seen those go bad on things before. Take the unit apart and check with a DVM to see if there are any buttons showing continuity without being pressed.

If that isn't the culprit you may have a component failing, corrupted memory etc. Also try disconnecting the LNB and see if that stops it.

My lnb hasn't even been connected to the 922 for awhile now. So I know that wasn't the problem. I usually keep that plugged into the dvb stb lately. I have splitters, and dc blocks and all that, but I haven't been using the 922 for video lately anyway.

After my last post, this thing started working normal again, but for only about 10 minutes. During that time I moved the dish to X4. That solved the clock problem. Then I checked in the hidden menus for the TDT. It was 1706. Pretty safe there then. The ironic thing about it, I'm now looking at the front panel...the light is no longer blinking. I wonder for how long tho, since it worked fine for about 10 minutes, earlier?

Could be the front panel buttons, something stuck behind them.

Take the batteries out of the remote or put it in the other room, then unplug the unit.

Now rapidly press each button on the front panel, like 10 times in a second.

Now plug it back in and keep yer fingers crossed!

At this very moment, this thing is actually working correctly it seems. But for how long, is the question? If it starts acting up again..I'm going to try your suggestions. I just looked again, and as soon as I said that, the light started blinking again. Almost makes me wonder if there's a spook in here or something. Pretty strange.

This thing must be toast or something. If something was sticking, how is it unsticking by itself, then sticking again?

So far the 922 changes satellites with no problem. Kinda wonder if there was some kind of software issue since some of us are having similar issues? Maybe some kind of upgrade being sent to our 4DTVs and it is a reaction from it?

There hasn't been any software updates sent to the 4DTV's for many years. I think the OP may have some kind of component failing in the unit. If I were him I would call ATS and ask them if they ever seen that before and what the solution may be.

Mine went crazy like that when I accidently hit the guide button when I wasn't on X4. I didn't realize what happened so I hit a few more buttons and got nothing . Then when it caught on it ran through everything I had pressed at rapid speed. I unplugged it for a few minutes and then everything went back to normal.

My 922 running fine without issue. I agree with Jim on the response to remote commands on other satellites, mine gives a long delay then will quickly run through whatever buttons were previously pushed when it was frozen. It only did that after converting to 4160. I didn't have to soft reset or anything it just returned to normal on it's own after a few minutes.

At this very moment, this thing is actually working correctly it seems. But for how long, is the question? If it starts acting up again..I'm going to try your suggestions. I just looked again, and as soon as I said that, the light started blinking again. Almost makes me wonder if there's a spook in here or something. Pretty strange.

This thing must be toast or something. If something was sticking, how is it unsticking by itself, then sticking again?

Not knowing if you have any other satellite receivers or remotes laying around but you might also try is to remove the UHF antenna from the back of the receiver to eliminate any outside source. This way you'll have to have the remote pointing right at the unit as I've had issue with a 450i remote affecting my one of my 920's.

Just moving off X4 seems to screw up the guide on my 922. We have had severe thunderstorms almost daily for the past week. Since I have an horizon-to-horizon mount, I try to move my dish to where it is edge on (or as close as I can get it) to the approaching storm. That way the hail damage seems to be minimized if there is hail. This has worked for me twice in the past years. I just hammered out the minor dents.
In all cases this past week, there has been no satellite in view at the position where I parked the dish and turned the receiver off. Luckily there has been no hail with the storms that passed thru (near misses though).I never touched the guide button during the movement. After the storm passed and I moved back to X4 the guide would be messed up. In most cases, doing the 6,0,5 guide clear and WebSams rehit got the guide back. Last night I had to unplug the receiver, wait, and plug back in with a rehit to get the guide back

More info needed. What were you doing just before this happened and before you shut it off last? Sit down take a deep breath and think through what the events were that led up to this.
Remember these units are old and presently are being asked to do things they were not designed for. I hope it is not bad code being received as that could affect us all. Also I hope that your unit is not failing.

Just noticed yesterday that the 922 is back on correct time. Has not done that in weeks and it rebuffed all the fixes.

This piece of junk is still messed up. It will act alright for a few minutes here and there..but then the other 23 hours and 50 minutes of the day it's displaying the symptoms in the OP. This thing is pretty much useless at this point.

I wonder if a MR might fix the problem,,that is if I can do it when it's acting normal..which isn't often? I'm on X4 right now. What exactly is lost forever with a MR? If this somehow fixed this, which I'm not holding my breath about, would the maps download since I'm on X4? Would X4 be in the maps after a MR? And once again, what would be gone forever?

A MR will blow away everything except the stock 21 satellite tiles of channels 1-24. You can map in X4 and get the digitals to work there. In short the 60+ satellites, generics and digital on any bird other than X4 will be lost. That's why we are putting so much effort into Map Master. It's the only way to recover from a MR these days and get back what we had. Motorola or Comcast is not going to do anything for us ever.

Last edited:
I did not have any more problems I mentioned a few days ago. I plugged my 922 to another outlet and the problems stopped. My clock was one hour slow until yesterday when I renewed my subscription thu Skyvision.
I really enjoy my 4DTV!

Status
Please reply by conversation.