Status
Please reply by conversation.

. Raine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 6, 2013
North America, CT.
I've been messing with a small 18'' pizza dish that I have here for the last week or so and finally was able to get 95W to come in watchable on it, figured I'd post it because the way I finally did it might save someone a few headaches if they try it.

I'd first tried one of those universal LNB holders and then made a holder, but neither of them worked very well, I could lock transponders but not get any viewable picture. What I ended up finally doing was removing the plastic housing of the original LNB that was with the dish and the circuit board and then chopped off the round end of the feed. I then chopped off a little more than half of the wave guide and then just hose clamped a cheap universal to it. It actually seems to be working okay, quality on the MIcroHD is between 49% and 58%, of course, it's nice and clear today, in lousy weather it'll probably be a different story!

Attachments

• P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 1,038
  • P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,051
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 1,064
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 965
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 965
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 833
I did this experiment a couple years ago. What I also found besides what you posted was to move out about an inch more to get a better signal.

I did this experiment a couple years ago. What I also found besides what you posted was to move out about an inch more to get a better signal.

Thanks for the tip, Ke4est. I'll try knocking a little more off the front of what's left of the waveguide, to give me more room to move forward and back. The way it is now, I can only go forward and back maybe a quarter of an inch, if that. I tried getting it to sit about the way the original LNB did, maybe I can get a little better quality if I can get it back that inch or so!

Changed out the reflector to an oval shaped one I had here and now the signal is holding between 60% to 63%. I'd post a picture, but it started raining here. Maybe tomorrow.

I also tried a 18 inch 'pizza' dish with the Pansat3500, but aimed at 97w, a long while ago. Didn't fill my requirements of # of channels being dependable. So it's been retired. But your Q readings seem to be better than what I had, so i guess, I'm impressed.

Tried that with a little bigger dish, I think it was called the DishPro, around 22" maybe. Getting the lnbf angle right was the trouble I had, so I made my own bracket so I could bend it until it worked better. Just used what I had, which was a piece of drawer-slide metal, the kind that gets recessed into the side of your kitchen cabinet drawers. Reasonably strong but still bendable. It was a fun little experiment. Watched 91w on it for a few nights.

Last edited:
Today it was overcast and raining, the quality is much lower. This morning at six it was pouring out, the quality was bouncing around in the 40's and the picture wasn't watchable, right now it's still heavily overcast and lightly raining, the quality is 49% to 53% and picture is breaking up a little. Guess it'll only be a fair weather dish. :D

I did the 18" dish on 95W many moons ago...when I had a real crappy camera. Being almost dead south of the satellite helped :)

Attachments

• 18 test rig 5.JPG
    18 test rig 5.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 509
  • 18 test rig 4.JPG
    18 test rig 4.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 549
  • 18 test rig 3.JPG
    18 test rig 3.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 623
  • 18 test rig 2.JPG
    18 test rig 2.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 604
Also did that for 72W for the NBC feeds

Attachments

• 000_0532.jpg
    000_0532.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 429
  • 000_0531.jpg
    000_0531.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 400
Before I got a motor for my main dish (at 97W with side LNBs for 91W and 103W), I had an 18" dish pointed at 72W. Since I'm at 76W, it was easy to move it as far as 79W by only changing the azimuth. 79W never worked too good though, as it was an old satellite. 74W on the other hand was great, as it had a spotbeam option that really lit up the east coast when they used it. I watched Anderson Cooper covering the Haitian earthquake on that dish, every bit as strong as if I had had a proper dish on it.

Great thread, I might actually try that! I'm planning on replacing the SG2100 on one of my other dishes because it's been struggling a bit lately with moving a 76 cm dish, it'd be a perfect candidate for the small dish.

Micro LUD, little ugly dish, love it! :D

My... My... My a thread from the past, I still beak out the little dish and play around with it. I sit in a chair outside facing my receiver and monitor and hold the dish in my lap and aim it at satellite just for the fun of playing around. Good luck

My... My... My a thread from the past, I still beak out the little dish and play around with it. I sit in a chair outside facing my receiver and monitor and hold the dish in my lap and aim it at satellite just for the fun of playing around. Good luck

Thanks! I too have fun playing around with the dishes and all, my original motivation to get into FTA was just to receive the free channels, what a great bonus to find a fun hobby too!

A friend of mine was over the house last weekend and was looking at my dishes, he'd asked me if I'd added any [I currently have five, had three last time he was over], told him yup. He told me that he thought that I was just playing around now, that I didn't need that many. Told him Yup, you got that right. :D

Thanks! I too have fun playing around with the dishes and all, my original motivation to get into FTA was just to receive the free channels, what a great bonus to find a fun hobby too!

A friend of mine was over the house last weekend and was looking at my dishes, he'd asked me if I'd added any [I currently have five, had three last time he was over], told him yup. He told me that he thought that I was just playing around now, that I didn't need that many. Told him Yup, you got that right. :D

Right you need more. ;) :D

Finally felt well enough to go out and mess with my dishes today. Changed out the reflector for a slightly larger one and slapped on an Avenger PLL, hacked off a little more of the LNB mount so I could move it back a bit like Ke4est suggested and now the quality is staying right around between 67% and 71.

Attachments

• P1010030.JPG
    P1010030.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 418
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 380
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)