99 dollar deal on Tivo/DVD combo.

red ufo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
I just traded up and got this deal so I thought I would share.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...98113&productCategoryId=cat03021&type=product

You get an 80 gig harddrive, comes with Tivo and a progressive scan DVD player. With digital audio out, and and component video out. It looks much better than the regular Tivo did I bought last week. Of course Tivo don't do digital audio or component. But it helps because it frees up room on your reciever.

Plus the playback of Tivo is much better. So you end up with a good system for just over 100 bucks plus tax. Normally its 300 bucks.

I got it hooked up with Voom so I'll be around until the Jan 1. final indemnation on us.

If you sign up use my email so I got the Tivo rewards.

Missing something...

I thought the title of the thread is indicating this product is $99 after rebate. I couldn't get the link you posted to work so I searched the BB website and found it. Looks like the price before $100 rebate is $599.

Am I missing something?

The Rickster

That link does not work either, I have tried it or 3 different computers , it say you are seeing this page because your cookies are currently disable , I have gone in an enabled them and it still says the same thing , very strange

Well, I don't know why the links don't work. But I think I know what the pricing issue is.

There is a model DVR810-HS which has a DVD BURNER with tivo. That is $599.

Look for the model SD-H400. It has just a DVD PLAYER with tivo.

Hope that does it!

Just make sure you realize that you only qualify for the $100 rebate if you activate "Tivo Plus" service, which is $300.

If you want to use the "Tivo Basic" that comes free with it - you'll have to pay $200, as the $100 rebate won't apply.

The main differences between Tivo Plus and Tivo Basic is that plus gives you a longer program guide and season pass (name-based recording) functionality. With Tivo Basic, you can still do "trick plays" with live TV, make weekly/daily/single recordings manually or using the guide.

I have the Pioneer version with the DVD BURNER and use Tivo Basic - it works great!

deArgila said:
Just make sure you realize that you only qualify for the $100 rebate if you activate "Tivo Plus" service, which is $300.

If you want to use the "Tivo Basic" that comes free with it - you'll have to pay $200, as the $100 rebate won't apply.

Wow, good point! I had not noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

But maybe the $300 version is not required. It doesn't really specify which TivoPlus is activated (monthly or lifetime).

(2) TiVo service or TiVo PlusTM service (on DVD products) activation required by 10/31/04 and must be active for at least 30 days in order to be eligible for rebate. TiVo service or TiVo Plus service must be active at the time of rebate processing to be eligible for rebate.​

So maybe you could just have the monthly activated for a few months and cancel after the rebate is received.

So Whats the verdict? Buy or Pass?

With the rebate sounds like you can't go wrong, but if its better to buy a $150 RePlay or something else I'd like to know, cause this one is tempting...

Here is the long link.

[url http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1060606072528&skuId=5698113&productCategoryId=cat03021&type=product [ s/url]

You don't have to pay 300 for lifetime Tivo to get the rebate. You do have to get one of them. I'm just going to get the monthly service. Then after you get the rebate you can cancel.

I had a friend do this and it works, his friend did it also.

From what I hear the ones with DVD burners suck and have artifacts and problems away. This is a hard deal to beat.

Here is the fine print of the rebate. NOWHERE does it say you have to pay for lifetime Tivo only 1 months or be active when they process your rebate.

(2) TiVo service or TiVo PlusTM service (on DVD products) activation required by 10/31/04 and must be active for at least 30 days in order to be eligible for rebate. TiVo service or TiVo Plus </span>
<span class="Legal">service must be active at the time of rebate processing to be eligible for rebate. (3) TiVo service or TiVo Plus service required for full functionality. DVRs with TiVo BasicTM service are not eligible for $100 </span>

Same problems..

I was getting the cookies error message for the links, too.

Anyway, a Tivo with a DVD player does me no good. I already have an excellent DVD player which, I'm sure, is better than this one so I won't be replacing it.

The $100 for the Tivo is certainly tempting though. I currently have a DirecTivo but, as you know, it won't work with Voom. :(

I may just hold out for the Voom dvr. Let's hope we see this in my lifetime...

The Rickster

does this cookies disabled message happen on Windows or is only happening on Mac's? I find that many web page designer's design for Windows only and sometimes they eroneously think you have cookies turned off when you browse from Mac browsers. The choice is awesome on a Mac, with Camino, Safari, OmniWeb, Mozzilla, Netscape, Internet Explorer, and Opera as web browser choices, but it's still on a computer with a small share of the market, so we suffer when web designers choose to code only to IE on windows. :no

What am I missing here? The Tivo/DVD unit seems to be $249 with a $100 rebate. Isn't that still $149? Did the price go up?

Thanks,
--Dan

dankgus said:
What am I missing here? The Tivo/DVD unit seems to be $249 with a $100 rebate. Isn't that still $149? Did the price go up?

Thanks,
--Dan
Yep, went up overnight. Damn.

We jumped in on this deal and picked up a SD-H400 on Saturday. Can't say I'm all that excited about the image quality. We currently use a DishNetwork PVR-501 for DVR chores. When comparing the quality between TiVo recordings and Dish recordings, Dish looks much better.

Note that if you plan to stick with TiVO Basic service, you can only choose one recording source. We chose Voom. You must upgrade to TiVO Plus for dual source use. IE: Local OTA & Satellite.

I've not had much time to mess around with the unit. So far I see little difference between Progessive and Interlaced output when switching back and forth via the remote.

Anyone else have comments on quality between one service and another? Say DirecTV Tivo (NonHD) versus this unit with Voom.

Note: We are using the S-Video input for recording. I have noticed that for us, the S-Video output from Voom is not as clear as the S-Video output from our DishNetwork PVR-501.

Post up your results please...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)