Rate the Star Wars Trilogy DVD's

Somebody gave it an F and it was not me :). I haven't bought it yet. I am not a real of Star Wars although I have no problem watching it. Any comments as to the quality of the DVD I like to know before I make an investment. I have stopped buying DVDs.

I don't buy a lot of DVD's but got this one. IMO, this is one of the best DVD's I've seen in terms of picture & sound quality. I found an interesting review at amazon.com:

"In a word, spectacular. Thanks to a new digital transfer, you've never seen C-3PO glow so golden, and Darth Vader's helmet is as black as the Dark Side. And at the climactic scene of A New Hope, see if the Dolby 5.1 EX sound doesn't knock you back in your chair. Other audio options are Dolby 2.0 Surround in English, Spanish, and French. (Sorry, DTS fans, but previous Star Wars DVDs didn't have DTS either.) There have been a few quibbles with the audio on A New Hope, however. A few seconds of Peter Cushing's dialogue ("Then name the system!") are distorted, and the music (but not the sound effects) is reversed in the rear channels. For example, in the final scene, the brass is in the front right channel but the back left channel (from the viewer's perspective), and the strings are in the left front and back right. The result feels like the instruments are crossing through the viewer."

The quality is nice. Audio is great.

But they seemed to have left out the deleted scenes features. That is usually one of my favorite parts of a DVD.

One of the most interesting features is the documentary "Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy". It's just unbelievable all the s**t that George Lucas went through when producing the 1st film. I think that any other producer would simply quit or end-up with a mediocre production.

These are the best looking and sounding DVD's that I own now. Plus the set looks so nice sitting next to the Indiana Jones and Back to the Future sets.

I agree, the PQ is outstanding. I've only watched about 5 minutes of the first disc as I wanted to see if the PQ was as good as I've been hearing and it most definitely is. Can't wait to watch all 3.

I like everything except Hayden Christensen in ROTJ. I think it's disrespectful too the family of the original actor, and it's jarring to see this young guy in an early 80s flick. Love the big documentary. Picture is outstanding on all movies.

I've got a question for everyone that has these DVD's. Are they the special addition or the original, in other words are they the release that Lucas re-released back in 97? (or 96, I don't remember)

DarrellP said:
Lucas will NEVER release the original.
I agree. On one of the documentaries, he said that the "enhancements" that he did in 1997 were to make it the way that he really intended but had to give up becacause of money/time/technology constraints.

I have coined the term "OIR" for Lucas... (Originally Intended Release) he was always unhappy with Star Wars... I think if it were possible he would have added 12,093,382 Ewoks to ROTJ to make the battle of Endor play out more like the novels.

The quality on the DVDs is excellent I really like them, I think when we tie in the prequels it will play out as one conclusive sextology.

So far I've watched the first one and half of the second. The picture quality looks great. However, the sound quality on the first movie was pretty bad. Well, maybe bad is a little too harsh. It wasn't near as good as a typical DD5.1 soundtrack though. I had to bring up the center channel to hear the dialogue over the special effects sounds and the music track. Even then, then sound just didn't seem clean and lifelike.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)