A Challenge For Blu-ray or PS3 Owners!!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
On October 16th Transformers is being released on HD-DVD. I am throwing down the guanlet and asking every BD owner to go out to your local store and buy at least one BluRay movie.

I would like to see BD beat HD-DVD during this week as it will finally show that BD has the legs to win this format war even when the only release title worth having that week is on HD-DVD. Let's make a statement on October 16th!:)

A Challenge For Ps3 Owners!!

Your PS3 does play BluRay movies. On October 16th the blockbuster Transformers is being released on HD-DVD. I am challenging all PS3 owners to go to there local store and buy at least one BLuRay movie this week. You know there are titles you want. Just buy one THIS WEEK!

By doing this you will show that you support the BluRay format of your PS3 and hopefully we can have a big week against the blockbuster release of Transformers on HD-DVD.:)

Sadly Joe, eventhough I own a PS3 (and an A2) I won't be buying anything this week except Transformers (well it's pre-ordered).
I noticed something strange this weekend at the local Wal-mart and Target (this already happened at local Best Buy and Circuit City)...

Prices on BD movies went UP, yes up. Minimum at all stores of $28 (for old stuff) and new releases were over $30. For that reason, I won't buy anything on BD until local retailers bring prices on BD back down to where they were before ($24-$29). HD-DVD did not go up and infact most declined. Hot Fuzz Combo disc is $25 everywhere and not a single HD-DVD is over $27 at any of the 4 mentioned.
Target also GREATLY expaned both HD offerings. Now they have almost a full aisle (much better then the 12-15 titles).

Anyone else see these price increases or is it a local thing?

Also, I noticed the Sony BD player(BDP-s300) at local wal-mart was above $500 now. Walmart instore prices are so out of whack with the walmart online prices it's almost stupid. Plus they won't pricematch their own website.

This whole battle strikes me as just silly. So what if there is a big title coming out in HD DVD; I can't imagine going out to buy a $40 disc just to try to increase sales numbers for a brand. :rolleyes:

It just isn't rationale.

Your PS3 does play BluRay movies. On October 16th the blockbuster Transformers is being released on HD-DVD. I am challenging all PS3 owners to go to there local store and buy at least one BLuRay movie this week. You know there are titles you want. Just buy one THIS WEEK!

By doing this you will show that you support the BluRay format of your PS3 and hopefully we can have a big week against the blockbuster release of Transformers on HD-DVD.:)

This message should have been place somewhere else........this forum is not for Blueray or HD DVD....its for games. Specially when you are making a clear PUSH for Blue Ray.

I am a PS3 owner and I got bunch of Blu-ray movies, but for Transformers I may be buying an HD-DVD player, not the addon for the 360, because its annoying listening to the 360 making loud noise while watching a movie.
So I am planning to buy an HD-DVD player from Costco sometimes before Transformers comes out.

Unfortunately, until I can walk into the store and buy a bluray or HD-DVD for the same price as a DVD, I won't bother.
If I really want to watch Transformers in HiDef, than I'll wait til it's on one of the movie channels and DVR it. (thank you Dish for adding external archiving).

Blu-ray has a nice 2 for 1 promotion going on this week on all Disney titles. I tried to pickup pirates 1 and 2 but they were sold out already. This may be their answer to the transformers release this week.

This whole battle strikes me as just silly. So what if there is a big title coming out in HD DVD; I can't imagine going out to buy a $40 disc just to try to increase sales numbers for a brand. :rolleyes:

It just isn't rationale.

Who is paying 40 for a disk? I haven't seen any over 30.

But I agree, buy the ones you want when you feel you want them.

Blu-ray has a nice 2 for 1 promotion going on this week on all Disney titles. I tried to pickup pirates 1 and 2 but they were sold out already. This may be their answer to the transformers release this week.

Aye, I see 'despite the huge robot blockbuster, blu-ray gives very little away in terms of sales ratios' headlines in our future with no mention of competing sales as if it was down on their own merits.

Well, if Disney is offering a 2 for 1 buy, maybe it is time we all go and get at least two Disney titles we would like to have.

Guys, it doesn't matter, Spider Man 3 when it comes out for Blu-ray its going to spike the sales more than ever for Blu-ray!
Spider Man 3 is a bigger hit than Transformers I believe.

Guys, it doesn't matter, Spider Man 3 when it comes out for Blu-ray its going to spike the sales more than ever for Blu-ray!
Spider Man 3 is a bigger hit than Transformers I believe.

Not sure what this says about our collective movie-watching culture... Spidey 3 was not very good and I didn't even bother seeing Transformers, but I guess they will be big sellers and good "showcase" pieces for their respective HD formats.

I enjoyed Transformers, it was just an entertaining movie to me. I would buy in whatever HD format it came out in.

As for Spiderman movies, I could care less. Even less than I care about the Pirates movies. Just something about them that I cannot enjoy.

Edit:
Ok, can the mods make up their mind on combining/seperating the thread? It's been moved, combined, seperated, and now combined again.

As for Spiderman movies, I could care less. Even less than I care about the Pirates movies.
And I thought it was just me and my weird taste (actually, the first Pirates were not too bad, I think).
Risking to sound heretical, I'd put LoTR and Star Wars in the same bunch.
I enjoyed Transformers, it was just an entertaining movie to me.
I thought it was a nice popcorn flick. It won't compete with Lawrence of Arabia in terms of cinematographic achievements,
but will probably beat it in the box office by an order of magnitude...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)