A.D.: The Bible Continues

A.D.: Beyond the Bible, from Burnett and wife Downey, begins in the days after Jesus' betrayal and death. With NBC partnering to bring the follow-up to broadcast, the network is hoping to duplicate the success History Channel had with The Bible.
Interesting, as the only material for this would be from Acts & Revelation. And even Revelation would be hard to do. Interesting to see how they stretch it out over 12 episodes.

There are a whole lot of other books and parts of books that were never put in The King James Bible (i.e. Mary Magdeline) upon its adoption. It could be done. Plus you have the works of Paul, Jude, etc. after Christ's persecution.

S~

Last edited:
There are a whole lot of other books and parts of books that were never put in The King James Bible (i.e. Mary Magdeline) upon its adoption. It could be done. Plus you have the works of Paul, Jude, etc. after Christ's persecution.
Problem is that Paul's works, along with Jude & James are all letters. They don't really translate into a story. Other than Luke's Acts of the Apostles, none of the non-gospel books are historical, they're all just letters to different churches (other than Revelations) that is.

Most books excluded are other versions of the Gospels, and would only cover stuff from the earlier mini-series. Paul's Apocalypse directly contradicts John's Revelation, so that can't be used.

They'll have to use the letters for the time period. There are also 5 books/gospels that were not included in the Bible, Mary, Laodiceans, and the three books of the Shepherd of Hermas. There's also the lost gospel of Peter. Lots of stuff for a miniseries.

S~

They'll have to use the letters for the time period. There are also 5 books/gospels that were not included in the Bible, Mary, Laodiceans, and the three books of the Shepherd of Hermas. There's also the lost gospel of Peter. Lots of stuff for a miniseries.
Actually a lot more than that, Thomas wrote a gospel as well. Several books were written in the the time period, but the council of Nicene voted on and chose the ones that are there now. Revelation barely survived the vote, as the Pauline's pretty much controlled the council (which is why almost everything Paul wrote was included, but hardly any of Peter's writings.

Problem with including the extra books, is which ones get picked? Several of them contradict one another (then again, so do Matthew, Luke & John at times). I just have a hard time seeing them stretching A.D. out to 12 episodes.

As for the letters, sure they can show Paul writing them, but that just a few new scenes of him at a desk during his missions during Acts.

Watched the first episode. They spent some bucks. I thought the first part was pretty good. Covered the crucifixion right up to the resurrection.

S~

I watched the first episode and I thought it was good, having watched recently several movies about the same story, it was refreshing to find a different role casting than in most movies.
Also the scene of the angel falling like a star, and showing up at the tomb, was quite different from what I´ve seen in most movies about the resurrection.

I enjoyed this as well, although there was too much 'network drama.' I'm not a big fan of drama TV shows. I did like the ending of ep.1 though.

Finished the second episode. Enjoyed it again. Skipped the gospel's version where one angel inside the tomb spoke to the women. Sunday's turning into a busy night with this, Legends & Lies, GOT, and Once Upon a Time. I kind of wish they would have done a shorter running series with two hour episodes. I really didn't want it to end.

S~

Reactions: Mark2074 and Bruuce
I hope to get to it tonight. I watched Legends & Lies, GOT, All-star Academy finale, and the first half of the ACM awards up until Reba.

S~

I understand Roma Downey and the other guy producing this, made some good advertising in mega churches.

Anyway, I´m enjoying the series, :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts