A minor request from your FTA moderator

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks guys :) Still very much appreciated

Went down today and she slept the whole time. Basically the surgery cant be done until her fever is down to normal for 24 hours and they did some culture tests and they have to come out as no issues

The doctors are just waiting for that to happen. She is breathing on her own and the rest of her numbers look good. We joke that her blood pressure for the 1st time in 30 years is "normal" :D

Hoping everything works out fine for your Grandmother. It can be very stressfull on the whole family. It all takes time. Our wishes are for the best.

sorry for the lack of update but there really wasnt much for a few days.
Thursday we went down and she slept the whole time we were there
Friday we went down and she slept the whole time we were there
Saturday we went down and she slept the whole time we were there
Sunday we called first (Vikes game at noon and the Hospital is a block away so parking would be a pain) and she got some medicine so she would sleep all day. We didnt go

Monday was the big day. Surgery day. She got the shunt put in and we got to see her about 10 minutes after she got out of surgery. She was groggy (imagine that) but was awake :)
She still uses the ventilator at night but breathes on her own most of the day. Its hard to see her as they had to put the shunt on the toher side of her head (opposite the tube) so now they had to shave that side of her head. So now her head looks like mine :)

Today they informed us that she would be moving to a long term facility soon. She's pretty much done in ICU as the shunt is in and the xrays/cat scan all look good. There isn't much more they need to do. So we wanted her to come to the one nearest our house but since she still needs a respirator once in a while they can't take her there (they dont have a respirator) :(
So there are two options and the family has to weigh the options and gramps has to decide soon.

So right now the next few days are going to be hectic to see where she will go for a little while. The one near our house said once she is totally off the respirator she could come there which might be in a week to two weeks. My grandparents do alot at that place so they know her on a first name basis :) That would be nice as its 5 minutes away from the house

Thanks, Ice, hope she can ditch the machine soon. Maybe you can catch her awake enough soon to tell her about all the people across the country who are pulling for her.

well today was the big day.....moving day

We moved her to a long term health care facility about 25 minutes form the house for now. ICU said she is doing great and ICU is no longer needed. Numbers are great and no complications from the surgery. So she got moved. Once she can breathe on her own with no respirator (seems like she's been doing it at night) they can move her near home which will work great...then I dont have to drive ;)

But today was one of those "get out the kleenex days". After 4 days of pretty much sleeping she was wide awake and can understand us. She still cant talk but can make facial expressions, smile and laugh. I talked with Grandma for about a 1/2 hour when my mom & Grandpa were talking with the social worker. That was the longest I ever did as I told my mom I can't sit there and talk to her because I will tear up. Its too hard seeing someone who is the most stubborn and caring person I know be in this condition now so when I talk to her its usually pretty quick. Well today it wasn't.

I was telling her all that is going on (not why she is there) and that we're making sure Grandpa takes his pills, eats etc and she smiled. I jokingly said "and Grampa figured out the TV and watches lots of stuff and hasnt had to call me that he screwed it up" to which she laughed (in their old house they had Dish and he'd screw that thing up at least twice a week...now they have cable). I dont remember what I said but she made that "oh I'm gonna kick your ass" look on her face to which I said "uh oh gramma's back" :)

So after 25 days in ICU we are now at the long term facility...hopefully for 2 weeks or so until she can breathe on her own completely then she can come "home". Its going be weird not going to Minneapolis to visit her...but on the good side we dont have to pay for parking at the new place :)

Wheeee! Big day today (seems like I say that alot)

Grandma can talk now :D

They put the voice thing in her traech and she started talking. First word was "OK" :)
The speech therapist asked her to say her name and she did then she asked "do you know where you are" and Grandma said "in rehab" which threw us for a loop as we have been saying she is in the hospital

So now she's a chatter box. She laughs, talks to us now which is great, and it doesnt sound like she skipped a beat. My mom said we should turn the TV on and grandma said "why bother. Its 25 after 3. nothing on until 4" :D

Now its easier to talk to her because she responds. I asked her how she was doing and she said "eh ok I guess" and I told her the river is freezing and she said "is grampa watching the ice chunks go down the river too" (their apt complex is on the river)

Grampa was so happy to hear her say "I love you" when we had to go. We explained that I had to go pick up the nieces and we had to get Grampa dinner and gramma said "yep thats fine. you guys go. I'll just stay here" :)

Still waiting for her to drop the f bomb or to start bossing people around. But it sounds like her brain is still good as it was :)

WOW-That is excellent news Tony! Glad to hear that she is able to speak and is doing much better. Which speaking valve did she get-my mom's had the purple one for about 18months, until today. She had an appt with the surgeon who did her trach in summer 08, he was pleased with her progress, gave her the next size smaller trach-tube/speaking valve and told her to come back in April. (We'd thought she might be stuck with that thing for the rest of her life, but he said she was much better than he expected, and removing that thing would not be as difficult as he thought at first. So we, too got some good news today!)
I'm happy for her, and your family. Much more continued progress for grandma!

WOW-That is excellent news Tony! Glad to hear that she is able to speak and is doing much better. Which speaking valve did she get-my mom's had the purple one for about 18months, until today.

yep its the little purple one. She sounds like a little kid but we dont care. We just like to hear her talk :)

She'll get to sounding normal before too long-there's a bit of a learning curve with those things. They are one-way, breath in, but close on exhale so the breath goes over the vocal cords and allow speech. Interesting little gadget, passy-muir speaking valve.

She'll get to sounding normal before too long-there's a bit of a learning curve with those things. They are one-way, breath in, but close on exhale so the breath goes over the vocal cords and allow speech.
good to know :)

Interesting little gadget, passy-muir speaking valve.
yep thats what it said on the package ;)

hi tony i know you dont know me i just joined yesterday im sorry to hear about ur family i just lost 2 cuzs and my aunt within the last month and a half to cancer my heart goes out to you ill pray for ur grandma with god anything possable have a great xmas brother

Ice, i just ran across this post. I did not read all the responses but your Grandma and family is in my prayers. i pray for everyone to be strong. wishing all of you the best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)