A more exotic setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jam3s

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 24, 2008
I'm getting ready to add my DirecTV service to my houseboat. I've been installing for a couple of years now, so I know my way around some of the hardware, but there's a lot about SWM that I'm still discovering.

I need to have a dish at the dock, preferably using an SLS5 SWM lnb, and then I'll also want a tracker (VuQube, etc.) on the boat for when I'm not docked. Is there a SWM splitter with a legacy input on it? I really don't want to use the old SWM equipment that has to have all four wires coming off of the Dish, because I'll have limited room to run wires on the dock, and the weather is a bit more harsh on the lake then on land. Any ideas?

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I'm getting ready to add my DirecTV service to my houseboat. I've been installing for a couple of years now, so I know my way around some of the hardware, but there's a lot about SWM that I'm still discovering.

I need to have a dish at the dock, preferably using an SLS5 SWM lnb, and then I'll also want a tracker (VuQube, etc.) on the boat for when I'm not docked. Is there a SWM splitter with a legacy input on it? I really don't want to use the old SWM equipment that has to have all four wires coming off of the Dish, because I'll have limited room to run wires on the dock, and the weather is a bit more harsh on the lake then on land. Any ideas?

So, you'll have a dish at the DOCK as well as a VU Cube on board ? You'll disconnect when ever your going out for a boat ride ?

The VU Cube will not give you any HD, if thats important to you (unless they've come out with a new one ).

Why not just use the VU Cube all the time ?

Do you really NEED the SWM on this set up ?

Jam3s

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 24, 2008
Yes, I do need SWM on this setup, the reason being that the boat has only one external hookup, and I need to put at least two separate televisions on it, and I really don't like putting holes in a fiberglass boat. I can't use the vuqube 24/7 because the dock is covered. And yes, there are HD trackers out there, although I really don't know if vuqube makes one... it is just the only brand that comes to mind when I think of trackers.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Yes, I do need SWM on this setup, the reason being that the boat has only one external hookup, and I need to put at least two separate televisions on it, and I really don't like putting holes in a fiberglass boat. I can't use the vuqube 24/7 because the dock is covered. And yes, there are HD trackers out there, although I really don't know if vuqube makes one... it is just the only brand that comes to mind when I think of trackers.

IC !

What automatic set ups have you heard of that do HD for D*, I haven't found any as of yet.
I'm sure they are quite pricey :)
Portable would be better .

Jam3s

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 24, 2008
KVH Winegard RV Satellite TV systems Tracvision Mobile Antenna In-Motion Stationary Low Profile

• The R4, R5, R6 and A7 are all HD compatible.
  • Currently KVH is capable to receive HD programming from Direct TV only.
  • The R4 and R5 require the HD converter kit ($749.oo).
  • The R6 and A7 require the HD converter switch only ($249.oo).
  • The system must be ordered with the Multi-service interface box and use a home HD receiver.
Haha, and I think I could technically install a traditional electric switch on the line to go from SWM to traditional... I dunno if that would fudge up the signal, though, or mess with the reciever.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
KVH Winegard RV Satellite TV systems Tracvision Mobile Antenna In-Motion Stationary Low Profile

• The R4, R5, R6 and A7 are all HD compatible.
  • Currently KVH is capable to receive HD programming from Direct TV only.
  • The R4 and R5 require the HD converter kit ($749.oo).
  • The R6 and A7 require the HD converter switch only ($249.oo).
  • The system must be ordered with the Multi-service interface box and use a home HD receiver.
Haha, and I think I could technically install a traditional electric switch on the line to go from SWM to traditional... I dunno if that would fudge up the signal, though, or mess with the reciever.

The R4 is $ 999 and needs another $400 switch for the rest of the HD chnnels, so now were at $ 1500.

I really don't need a In Motion set up, but to get what I need it looks like that will already be included.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)