A non hostile goodbye

Another joke commercial courtesy of Dish. Doubt anyone who has anything other than basic service is paying less than $100 a month unless they're on a promo (oh right...can't be because Dish doesn't have 'hidden prices' like that 'other provider')
Define "basic service".

First I'm glad you're happy with Dish. I disagree with pretty much everything after that. I don't feel any loyalty whatsoever to any big corporation. They certainly don't show any loyalty to you by giving better prices to brand new customers than loyal people like yourself who have been around since 1996. Something for nothing? I pay $140 a month to Dish. There are no hand outs here. These are big businesses who don't care about us not some local mom and pop shop. I switch between Dish and Directv to pay less for TV just like I would go to the gas station across the street if they were selling cheaper gas.

I got ya beat, pay $170 here(so far). I do agree, Dish doesn't seem interested that I have been with them since the 90's.

But back to the OP, good luck,hope it works out.

These providers need to start offering customers incentives to stay. D offered me new customer pricing but not until after I already had dish installed. If dish offers me a good enough incentive at the end of my contract then I'll stay and if not I'll be going back to directv. There's no loyalty anymore because the companies are all greedy. They make millions off their customers but when it comes time to keeping them you get responses like well we can offer you 5.00 off for 3 months.

These providers need to start offering customers incentives to stay. D offered me new customer pricing but not until after I already had dish installed. If dish offers me a good enough incentive at the end of my contract then I'll stay and if not I'll be going back to directv. There's no loyalty anymore because the companies are all greedy. They make millions off their customers but when it comes time to keeping them you get responses like well we can offer you 5.00 off for 3 months.

When a person is getting ready to switch providers and wants to know what's the best offer to stay available? with DISH you talk to their Loyalty Department,with DirecTV it's their Retention Department.Good Luck!:)

Dishnet is the worst internet connection ever! The salesman did not tell me about the throttling at all. Its been less then 30 days. How can I get out of the contract? I just want cox back.

All of the satellite Internet providers have the data throttling. I am sure they did not flash this out front.

Dish does offer incentives while a subscriber. I'm pretty certain Directv does as well. Whether it is enough is one question, whether what a particular sub wants is reasonable is another.

Well, let's see.

I've been with Dish network since March of 2003.

Dish has upgraded my owned 510 DVR to a 211k for a $50 upgrade charge a couple of years ago, upgraded my service to HD with a new Dish and ViP622 in 2006 for $200, Upgraded my ViP622 to a ViP722 in 2010 for no upgrade charge and I ordered 2 Hopper 2000's and 3 Joeys last week - no upgrade charge.

They were installed Friday and Dish upgraded one of the Hoppers to a Hopper w/Sling - still no upgrade charge.

Of course I have had to buy the MT2 adapter for the 722k to get 2 OTA channels and I have also ordered two Hopper OTA tuners.

So, my upgrades over the last 10 years have put me out about $350 and for that I have been upgraded from SD 301 receivers to ViP receivers and now to the Hopper system with six shared tuners and all that for about $35 per year in up grade fees.

My last 2 upgrades cost me next to nothing and the upgrade from the 622 to the 722k was not even my idea, Dish sent me an offer that I could not refuse.

Same with the Hoppers, I could not refuse the replacement of my leased 722k and a leased 211 (I also own a 211k and a 211) with 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys - plus I can still sell my 2 211's and recoup some of my investment (anybody want to buy either a 211k or a 211 or both).

Dish may get me in a couple of years with the fees, but I'll deal with that when it happens.

I am not a high dollar customer (AT120). I pay less than $100/month for my Dish service and before I was unceremoniously kicked off of HD Absolute, my Dish bill was a little more than half of that $100.

I have been on paperless auto pay for longer than I can remember, that is the only thing that I know makes me apparrently an attractive customer.

I looked at the Genie system, but it had $300 up front costs to cover 5 HDTVs and the monthly bill was only only about $5/month lower with the super discounts DirecTV offers, after 1 year I started digging a money hole, so I am still with Dish with ALL new state of the art hardware. They even replaced my old D1000 dish plus the DPP44 with a nice black D1000.2, I hope it performs as well as the 6 year old D1000 did.

Well, let's see.

I've been with Dish network since March of 2003.

Dish has upgraded my owned 510 DVR to a 211k for a $50 upgrade charge a couple of years ago, upgraded my service to HD with a new Dish and ViP622 in 2006 for $200, Upgraded my ViP622 to a ViP722 in 2010 for no upgrade charge and I ordered 2 Hopper 2000's and 3 Joeys last week - no upgrade charge.

They were installed Friday and Dish upgraded one of the Hoppers to a Hopper w/Sling - still no upgrade charge.

Of course I have had to buy the MT2 adapter for the 722k to get 2 OTA channels and I have also ordered two Hopper OTA tuners.

So, my upgrades over the last 10 years have put me out about $350 and for that I have been upgraded from SD 301 receivers to ViP receivers and now to the Hopper system with six shared tuners and all that for about $35 per year in up grade fees.

My last 2 upgrades cost me next to nothing and the upgrade from the 622 to the 722k was not even my idea, Dish sent me an offer that I could not refuse.

Same with the Hoppers, I could not refuse the replacement of my leased 722k and a leased 211 (I also own a 211k and a 211) with 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys - plus I can still sell my 2 211's and recoup some of my investment (anybody want to buy either a 211k or a 211 or both).

Dish may get me in a couple of years with the fees, but I'll deal with that when it happens.

I am not a high dollar customer (AT120). I pay less than $100/month for my Dish service and before I was unceremoniously kicked off of HD Absolute, my Dish bill was a little more than half of that $100.

I have been on paperless auto pay for longer than I can remember, that is the only thing that I know makes me apparrently an attractive customer.

I looked at the Genie system, but it had $300 up front costs to cover 5 HDTVs and the monthly bill was only only about $5/month lower with the super discounts DirecTV offers, after 1 year I started digging a money hole, so I am still with Dish with ALL new state of the art hardware. They even replaced my old D1000 dish plus the DPP44 with a nice black D1000.2, I hope it performs as well as the 6 year old D1000 did.

Something tells me you are not making an apples to apples comparison with packages and that equipment pricing isn't right. I have AT 200 with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. When my new customer discounts expire I will be paying $81.99 plus tax per month.

To go Directv's equivalent package and equipment (Choice Xtra with 1 Genie and 1 Client) as a new customer I would be paying $60.99 plus tax per month. That is a savings of $21 per month or $252.00 in the first year.

Also, I don't know when you looked at the equipment but you shouldn't have had to pay $300 for equipment upfront. The Genie and up to 4 clients are free for new customers. In my case I would pay $0 in equipment or installation costs to get an equivalent setup. Even for someone like yourself who has to have 5 HDTVs they would only make you pay for the 5th TV. A client box for the 5th TV is $49 so I don't know where you came up with $300. Maybe the offers have recently changed?

If you are happy with Dish that's great. I am happy with them too. The price comparison info in your post is very misleading though. Maybe there are some special circumstances in your situation that would keep you from seeing any real gain by switching. The vast majority of people would see significant savings by taking advantage of new customer discounts though. I'm not trying to be anti Dish here. This works both ways. Long time Directv customers would see significant savings by taking advantage of Dish's new customer pricing too.

its been great to be LOYAL.
Why? It's just a company, not a family member.
I swear some people change tv service like diapers with no thought except how they can save $5. bucks.
Most people wouldn't go through the trouble for $5. But, for $25, 30, 50 per month, sure. Why not? For many folks, that's the gas money that gets them to and from work.
I look forward to the next 10 years with Dish!
Good for you. I look forward to the next 10 years of life. And during that 10 years, I fully expect to be changing brands of many things I use: wireless carriers, cable/sat carriers, ISP's, smartphones, pc's, cars, appliances. It's just stuff. And, I will choose whomever can provide the stuff I need at the best value.

I agree there's not that much loyalty these days. Some people will stay with one provider and never leave no matter how many price increases that might happen. I will switch every 2 years if the provider I'm with doesn't offer me a good enough incentive to stay. If these providers cared at all when people say they're leaving, then they would be offering them decent money off on their monthly bills. At least offer something close to the new customer pricing.

Most people wouldn't go through the trouble for $5. But, for $25, 30, 50 per month, sure. Why not? For many folks, that's the gas money that gets them to and from work.

$50 is pretty much the difference with new customer promos through D*, and my non promo price with E*. Now my contract is not up, but even with the ETF, I make the difference back in a few months, and then it is savings for the next two years with the current (when I signed up) deal.

There is just no way that I can personally justify $50 more for the same basic service, and if there are promos with Dish at the end of this period with Directv, I will most likely look at them again.

Dishnet is the worst internet connection ever! The salesman did not tell me about the throttling at all. Its been less then 30 days. How can I get out of the contract? I just want cox back.

Not sure why this was posted to this thread but why would you switch from cable internet to satellite internet? I'm guessing you did zero research before you signed up and just called up Dish taking their word that it was the best solution for you. I sell the product and will not sell it to a customer if they have the option of DSL or Cable.

I agree there's not that much loyalty these days. Some people will stay with one provider and never leave no matter how many price increases that might happen.
This is rubbish, seeing that both major Sat providers have had price increases over the years. You make it sound like a person with one or the other has been sitting there, seeing their bill increase 40% over five years, while the competition is still using 5 yr old rates.
I will switch every 2 years if the provider I'm with doesn't offer me a good enough incentive to stay.
Good for you.

First I'm glad you're happy with Dish. I disagree with pretty much everything after that. I don't feel any loyalty whatsoever to any big corporation. They certainly don't show any loyalty to you by giving better prices to brand new customers than loyal people like yourself who have been around since 1996. Something for nothing? I pay $140 a month to Dish. There are no hand outs here. These are big businesses who don't care about us not some local mom and pop shop. I switch between Dish and Directv to pay less for TV just like I would go to the gas station across the street if they were selling cheaper gas.
Thanks I always thank another opinion . I guess loyalty for some is something else for someone else. All I know is I have had great service and very little hassle over all the years. I think time will prove me right in that switching back and forth between service
or cars, or tire, or any consumer good, the outcome is usually no one gains anything. Thanks for the post!

Thanks I always thank another opinion . I guess loyalty for some is something else for someone else. All I know is I have had great service and very little hassle over all the years. I think time will prove me right in that switching back and forth between service
or cars, or tire, or any consumer good, the outcome is usually no one gains anything. Thanks for the post!
I have often thought of doing the old switcheroo, (to Directv), but my loyalty mostly centers around the equipment, which is a valuable consideration, to me. Dish and I will be together indefinitely as long as they hold their hardware edge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts