A start to a la carte?

Does anyone really think that Verizon would do anything to decrease it's profits? I think that they are just playing games. They figure that by doing this, people will think they have a control but most probably wind up paying as much if not more in the long run.

while just the pricing for TV alone is not worth it at $55, I do think it is a bargain when they included the different speeds of broadband with TV at $65, 75, 85.

How much does Broadband alone cost with FIOS, if $50 for 25/25, then TV is only $15 more.

That is how I view it with Comcast, Extreme 105 is $89 a month by itself, my bill total with the Starter Package ( all the channels we watch with ESPN and our RSNs), HBO, Showtime, Max, Boxes, fees, I pay $106 a month, so to me I pay $17 a month for TV.

The price is somewhat hefty if they are trying to draw millennials. Those people hate ads being inserted into free programming! I don't see this as being anything that is groundbreaking. Sling is much more groundbreaking than this.
Does anyone really think that Verizon would do anything to decrease it's profits?
Not decrease profits, decrease the number of people that are quitting cable/sat (or not even starting in the first place).

I had a lady on that several years ago. She refused to do any promotions on her account because they wanted her to get rid of it.

I wonder if people are still grandfathered with it?

From what I remember, Claude, they were forced off of Dish Pix and to the Welcome Pack.

I don't think any grandfathered programming packages exist still. Didn't they officially get rid of the superstations?

For $65 with internet included it's a pretty good price, actually. It's going to be closer to $100 with all the fees, though.

I don't think any grandfathered programming packages exist still. Didn't they officially get rid of the superstations?
Yes either last year or the year before and I still have KTLA so I guess that would count as being grandfathered.

Still grandfathered with Superstations here. Not willing to make any changes to my account. If the Superstations were to disappear from my account, I'd probably drop Dish.

I bet Verizon is going to claim that as long as the Sports pack is included by default (as one of the two packages) that it somehow counts. Then, if the consumer later changes the pack selection, whatever (?).

It'd be fun to see how the contract is worded. Does it prevent Verizon from "offering" a package without ESPN or "selling" a package without it? LOL.

I bet Verizon is going to claim that as long as the Sports pack is included by default (as one of the two packages) that it somehow counts. Then, if the consumer later changes the pack selection, whatever (?).

It'd be fun to see how the contract is worded. Does it prevent Verizon from "offering" a package without ESPN or "selling" a package without it? LOL.
That is what I was thinking too. The comparison I have is Dish with the WP and SP. neither have ESPN in them.

As far as the grandfathered superstations, it appears I was incorrect, I thought they removed all superstation grandfathering, but I was wrong. I know any changes and they are gone though. Hell of an incentive to make sure someone continues to pay their bill.

These kind of packages were the norm in Canada for a number of years. Ultimately, they provided the illusion of choice but not much savings as there was always a desirable channel you wanted on another bundle and they designed it that way to encourage you to take many or all of them. By the time you were done getting your "must haves", there wasn't much savings. But if you could weed out a few of them, you could shave maybe 20% off the bill.
For my purposes, it isn't necessarily price as the deciding factor. What I like about the VZN FiOS decision, is that it offers a less cluttered channel line up.
I have the Dish 250....There are channels that I would not even consider watching. Like everything from ch 160 to 181. There are more, but choose not to list them.

I have the Superstation package....Had it since 1997
I will never get rid of it.....I get WPIX and WWOR out of NYC...Allows me to watch the news from back home and the Mets are on PIX 30 games.

I bet Dish's contract allows them to sell the WP & SP without ESPN because they don't do much national advertising/promotion for those two packages. For a long time, Welcome Pack was only available by calling, and not all the reps even knew about it. It has been brought out of the shadows a bit by us in the forums here, but I bet the average Dish customer has no idea about it unless they call up and want to cancel or downgrade programming significantly and then the rep might offer it. So Verizon might even say if Dish can do that, they can too. Because I bet Verizon won't heavily promote their new package either. And, yes, while the price is not the lowest - when I consider that the packages include fiber optic broadband, it doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure it serves a goal of keeping someone with Verizon's video service rather than dropping to internet only.

Here's the latest in the continuing saga of Verizon vs the Programmer monsters.
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ve.../2015-04-23?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal
As far as I am concerned, the programmers haven't leg to stand on. Verizon is technically correct.
However, it does appear their new packs violate the spirit of their respective agreements.
We shall see.
At this point, what are FOX Disney and other going to do? Order Verizon to shut down the services?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts