A start to a la carte?

For my purposes, it isn't necessarily price as the deciding factor. What I like about the VZN FiOS decision, is that it offers a less cluttered channel line up.
I have the Dish 250....There are channels that I would not even consider watching. Like everything from ch 160 to 181. There are more, but choose not to list them.
?? Custom guide and/or lockout channels?

Reactions: osu1991 and ChadT41
?? Custom guide and/or lockout channels?
The problem with that is: if you stay in your favorites list all of the time, you miss out on any free previews or newly added channels. Also, if you lock certain channels, and Dish then changes the channel lineup, a new channel (or even an existing channel that you like) might get locked out by accident. I prefer to use the All Channels list to make sure I am not missing anything. I don't mind seeing red in my guide. On the other hand, it would be nice if the My Channels list only included channels that are actually subscribed, and left out all of the PPV Sports, PPV movies, and VOD channels. Yes, I realize that you can set up a custom list to accomplish that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a My Channels list that is supposed to sort the guide automatically.

I'm not following that all. I have had DISH nearly as long as DISH has provided service. I don't miss freeviews for three reasons. 1. I know to check each Friday/weekend/Month, 2. There is a channel specifically set to tell you what is in freeview, and 3. I just check here. In fact if you only have the all channels/My channels list, unless you go through the whole list you might miss some of them still.

The purpose of the My channels is to list your channels, it does. The purpose of the custom lists is to exclude channels you don't want to see, they do that. Why go through all the upper repeat channels, when you can either lock them out or exclude them from a list? Or all the SD channels that have HD?
To say DISH has too many channels in the guide compared to Verizon's possible new offering so Verizon would be better is mind boggling.

You like the Verizon package because it offers less channels which will minimize the clutter, but you don't like custom lists because you might miss additional channels??? I am just trying to follow along.

Yeah, as I said above, the savings quickly evaporate in the maze of extra fees. Bell TV (Canada) wrote the book on this, often adding new "service fees" without any explanation of what service they needed the fee for. For me, the extra fees ultimately caused me to buy fewer of the bundles and I bet I wasn't alone as Bell abruptly stopped offering the mini bundles and switched to a three tier system, except in Quebec where they compete with a cable operator offering a-la-carte channels.

Every provider has fees, DirecTV, Dish, I have fees with Comcast, Broadcast and Sports, but the only fee I look at the end of a month is the Total, for what I pay do I get the channels I want with the equipment I want with the broadband I want and for the price I want to pay, right now I do and it is set that way for the next 2 years.

Yes, but how much do those fees add up to with each? My actual apples to apples comparison of DISH to Direct tv (posted in other threads) reveals the package is approx $2 less with DISH. Yet for the same type receiver(s) it's around $15 more with Direct than DISH per month, and that is all because of Direct Fees. I know exactly what he is talking about, Charter last year had, and I quote "Added Value Fee" if you got their lowest package making the advertised price $2.50 more above and beyond all the other fees. As mysteriously as it appeared, it, and that package are now gone.

The problem with that is: if you stay in your favorites list all of the time, you miss out on any free previews or newly added channels. Also, if you lock certain channels, and Dish then changes the channel lineup, a new channel (or even an existing channel that you like) might get locked out by accident. I prefer to use the All Channels list to make sure I am not missing anything. I don't mind seeing red in my guide. On the other hand, it would be nice if the My Channels list only included channels that are actually subscribed, and left out all of the PPV Sports, PPV movies, and VOD channels. Yes, I realize that you can set up a custom list to accomplish that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a My Channels list that is supposed to sort the guide automatically.

I have the HD versions of all the movie channels in my favorite list. When they are in free preview they show up in the list, when they the free preview is over, they go back to hidden. Nothing I have to do, just let the Dish magic happen. :shh

I have the HD versions of all the movie channels in my favorite list. When they are in free preview they show up in the list, when they the free preview is over, they go back to hidden. Nothing I have to do, just let the Dish magic happen. :shh

True enough, when the premium movie channels that I don't get are in freeview they do show up on their own....I don't know about regular channels because I have Top 250.

I'm not following that all. I have had DISH nearly as long as DISH has provided service. I don't miss freeviews for three reasons. 1. I know to check each Friday/weekend/Month, 2. There is a channel specifically set to tell you what is in freeview, and 3. I just check here. In fact if you only have the all channels/My channels list, unless you go through the whole list you might miss some of them still.

The purpose of the My channels is to list your channels, it does. The purpose of the custom lists is to exclude channels you don't want to see, they do that. Why go through all the upper repeat channels, when you can either lock them out or exclude them from a list? Or all the SD channels that have HD?
To say DISH has too many channels in the guide compared to Verizon's possible new offering so Verizon would be better is mind boggling.
I am not the one who said that I like Verizon's packages. In fact, I did not even mention Verizon. I was making an off-topic comment about favorites lists and locking channels. Before my sister added channel 103 to her favorites list, she would never check channel 103, and she would often miss free previews because she stayed in her favorites list all of the time. She does not visit this site, nor does she ever go to the Dish website to check for free previews. Now that she does check channel 103, she usually finds so much to watch on the free preview channels that she never uses her favorites list anymore. We both have a policy of not adding free preview channels to our favorites lists, since we know we are going to lose those channels. My other point about the favorites lists and locking channels would apply to any list: if the channel lineup changes, the list would need to be updated. Neither of us like to go to the trouble of changing our favorites lists that often.

My point about the My Channels list was simply that it includes too much clutter. PPV channels are not included in the subscription; they cost extra money. Therefore, they have no reason to be on a My Channels list, in my opinion.

My sister has a 512 receiver, so there are no HD versions to add to the list.

Where do we go to file "Friend of the Court" briefings in favor of Verizon? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)