?? about peaking a slimline.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gokartergo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Ca
New here and need some help.. First off I am a installer for dish network.. So I understand dish. But I now nothing about directv. My dad has directv. Every time it gets stormy or windy he looses only his HD channels..This has happened sice his install a year ago. He has really high signal strenghts on 101 and 110 and 119 . But 103 ca and 99c are really low. Now with dish I need to put my super buddy on 119 and the number one port and peak it out. What do I do for directv. I really think that the skew might just be off.. I haven't looked at it yet.. I will be tomorrow..any help is much appreciated.

Can you post your numbers on the 99 and 103.
I've never needed a meter to get mid 90's- 100.

If you have someone watching the signal meters, go out to the dish and lightly apply a slight amount of pressure on the top side of the dish and check signals and then both sides, chances are your slightly off, if either of these slight adjustments increase your SS, use the dithering screws to move in the correct direction.
Once you get better signal, be sure to check the others to make sure you haven't lost signal in other areas.

If you're getting strong signals on 101W, 110W and 119W, skew is NOT the issue.

Suggestions:

Make sure the base is solid
Insure that there are two solidly mounted "monopoles".
Dither the elevation.

If you're getting strong signals on 101W, 110W and 119W, skew is NOT the issue.

Getting strong numbers on 101, 110, and 119 doesn't mean that skew isn't an issue, since the ka sats require finer tuning, although it is probably okay. I do agree that either dithering or more likely azimuth is the problem. Come to think of it, isn't dithering really a fine adjustment of the skew?

Come to think of it, isn't dithering really a fine adjustment of the skew?
Dithering can apply to fine tuning in on any of the settings but it may be most commonly associated with skew/slant.

Because 99W and 103W are so close to 101W, skew is not likely an issue if you have a good signal way out at 119W.

Can you post your numbers on the 99 and 103.
I've never needed a meter to get mid 90's- 100.

If you have someone watching the signal meters, go out to the dish and lightly apply a slight amount of pressure on the top side of the dish and check signals and then both sides, chances are your slightly off, if either of these slight adjustments increase your SS, use the dithering screws to move in the correct direction.
Once you get better signal, be sure to check the others to make sure you haven't lost signal in other areas.

99 numbers all between 33 to 56. 103 ca all between 48 and 73
thanks

99 numbers all between 33 to 56. 103 ca all between 48 and 73
thanks

Without loosening anything, you can try pushing SLIGHTLY on one side of the dish or the other and see if that helps at all. It takes a few seconds for any changes to show on the signal strength screen. If that helps, your azimuth may need a very small adjustment, which you can easily do yourself. First, mark the pole and dish mount so that you can return the dish to where it started if necessary. Then loosen the mounting screws enough to move the dish and try moving it just a little. Remember it takes a while to show changes on the screen. With some patience, you can probably improve your numbers quite a bit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)