Absolutely can't get WVGN off AMC 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, Pete always says that the quality readings run low on the Satwork. Maybe that means the Satwork uses a different scale, maybe it means the Satwork is a bit insensitive, I dunno.

When I was testing, I had the receiver plugged directly into the LNBF as I moved the dish a bit at a time. When I bring the receiver back inside and run through my switch/extra cables, it seems to take 1-2% off quality from other channels; I presume that's about normal.

The pole looks good and plumb. The dish picked up a small dent on one side from an early misadventure (my bad), but the quality numbers on its channels are about the same as my pristine dish (same model) permanently pointed at G10R.

Unless someone's eager to lend me a different dish or receiver for experiments, I guess I'll wait until I get a new receiver to see how much that helps. (The Satwork 3618 is a fine starter receiver, but now I want AC3 and motor control.) Till then, I'll stay satisfied with a system that picks up 99% of what I want. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I have a Fortec Ultra Lifetime receiver and can get channels I could not with my old BEC DBS-1000. I didn't change anything wth my dish, just the receiver and I was able to get in Fox News which I never could lock onto before.

I am not 100% convinced it is for sure the reciever but it sure seems like it.

I have also found that playing with the skew of my LNB will help me lock onto transponders that are on the edge quality wise.

Wholeshoe

I have been watching WVGN for quite a few days and it is cool. Makes me want to the Virgin Is myself!

I wish I could get to see the CBS one in St. Thomas.....damn tree...I may have to relocate the dish for that or install another.

I noticed something last nite when I was peaking my dish. (motorized)

I went to AMC4 and had the following quality levels
-Peoples Network..45
-KUIL...60
-WVGN..44

Sop I tried to peak AMC4 using Peoples network...one click west gave me a 60, one more gave me a 75..woo hoo!

until I went to WVGN...Gone!!
Seems like this one if you go 2 clicks E or W from the "best spot" its gone, one click jumps from 10 to 45.

might be a reason why some people arent getting it.

Iceberg said:
Seems like this one if you go 2 clicks E or W from the "best spot" its gone, one click jumps from 10 to 45.

As I said when we discussed this a few months ago that I had to make a manual entry on the 3618, then bump the dish around until it locked on. I spent about 45 minutes on this. Once I got it in, it comes on with a good signal every time I go to it. :) As of 1pm Eastern, WVGN is coming in with a 65% signal, which is better than usual.

I was able to scan it in right away originally. The problem I had (and didnt know it) was when I recently changed from USALS to 1.2 (after USALS not working right), and just came across this last nite :)

I changed back to 1.2 too recently. I hated not being able to nudge the dish east and west for fine tuning.

Wholeshoe

yep. The only way for USALS to nudge was to change the satellite location.....but it kept throwing everything off so AMC4 was at 102.3 and SBS6 were at 75.8 as examples.

1.2 works much better :D

I totally agree, I want flexibility 1.2 is the way to go. USALS is for the set it and forget crowd.

Wholeshoe

Success!

I've kept WVGN manually entered on my Satwork just in case. This morning, I moved my dish back from SBS6 to AMC4 to pick up the Beaumont Fox station. I didn't peak the signal; when it was good enough after 30 seconds, I left it there. Just for fun, I turned back to WVGN, and there it was! Despite a 35% quality, it breaks up often enough to be borderline unwatchable, so something unusual's going on, but it's a lot less frustrating that absolutely nothing. :D

Carload,

Now that you have a signal, put the 3618 on WVGN and bump it around a little and see if it comes in better. Also check your polarity. I was having trouble getting the NBC feeds on AMC 4 C Band to come in. Lot of tiling, signal disruption and choppy audio. I was blaming weak signals and the weather, then I said what the hell, I hit the auto skew on the old 922 and NBC locked right on and has been good ever since. Give it a try, you never know.

I'm also pulling it in with quality of 40. Don't know why quality is so low. Actually setup my dish again last night. Freaking cold here in toronto.

I know what you mean.....I received my SG2100 motor, but I feel that the weather is going to stop me from installing it not until the spring :-(

I hate winter

Mark, installed mine yesterday. Its easy for me today considering i live in an apartment. Better do it now before it gets worse. I love my SG2100, its a great motor.

getting WVGN in at about a 45-48 on the Pansat

Mark..install it now...you dont want to be ghetto moving the dish when its cold out...

I just got doen with a whole bunch of projects today outside before it gets real cold...Its right around freezing today :)

Ok Iceberg....I did IT!!!
I can't believe it but I managed to find good weather today to install the motor. What took me some time was to install the arm supports. What I did was use old drill whole from an old installation, drilled a piece of 1/4 wood to is and then screwed in the arm supports. This way I didn't have to drill more holes in my brick wall!!

What threw me off of getting a signal initially was the dish angle cuz the Fortec Star Ku-band dish's angle marking are off. So I had to adjust it a bit. But I am now on the Clarke belt because as I surf from one end to the other I can get various channels. I can even get WVGN!! Although I get it about 28-30% quality. Still, it is steady enough for no break up.

The next thing I have to figure out is how to make the pansat automatically go back to the other positions without me manually having to set it. I did not neccessary went to my TRUE SOUTH bird because already got a signal. Does this mean I can't it to work automatically?

Well Done!
Go to antenna set up screen for your true south satellite, hit USALS enter your Latitude and Longitude go down and hit reference position, and your true south bird is set, then when you hit USALS with the rest of the satellites it should motor to each satellites position. With the Fortec Lifetime Ultra its BANG on each satellite using USALS!

Iceberg, We always seem to be the ones that have this problem. Last night I was pulling in WVGN. Today it is 14-16% and breaking up. It's strange. I don't get it. FOX Beamount comes in at 75% quality.

PSB could you tell me what is my TRUE SOUTH bird? So I may set my motor. If you guys didn't know...I live in Toronto. (for position)

Your True south bird is AMC-5 at 79W

Toronto Lat. 43.5 deg. / Long. 79 deg.

Elevation = 39 deg.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Down to Basics, please

New questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)