ABTs

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I smoked some ABTs today. Forgot to keep an eye on them, and they came out quite overdone, but still edible. And spicy hot as hell.

Previous batches came out quite tasty, but not spicy hot. All batches made the same way- seeds and membrane removed.

Would the overcooking itself make them hotter? They were somewhat shriveled and the cream cheese was done to brown. Maybe the CC just wasn't juicy enough any more to tone down the heat?

Any ideas? I plan to make more on Easter for guests, but can't serve such spicy ones.

Atomic Buffalo Turd.

Jalapeno snack. Put in some rub, cream cheese and maybe sausage or other meat, wrap with bacon.

I would think that the longer they were cooked, the hotter they would be. I try to leave a bit of membrane (in the two times I've made them) to add some zip.

You may have missed it in the other thread, but how much bacon is too much bacon? Is it even possible to have too much bacon? I'm using a full slice of thick cut and am thinking they might actually be better with a slice of thin cut.

WOW! I'm using 1/3 of thin sliced bacon. Considering going to 1/2 slice. But this is for an ABT made with half a jalapeno. Are you making the version that uses a whole jalapeno for each ABT? I've seem recipes that cut them in half, seed, fill, reassemble and cook. And one guy who cuts off the cap & somehow removes the seeds and fills it from the top.

I don't add meat inside mine, just the bacon wrapped around. Lot's of folks seem to put a bit of pulled pork or sausage in theirs. How do you do yours?

1/2 jalapeno, cream cheese and four cheese taco blend mixed together, a dash of cilantro on top and then the bacon. It just seems the thick bacon is a bit much, but I think a full slice of thin would be ok.

That'll still be a mouthful. Cilantro. Might try that.

Here's a pic of my last ABTs. These have the full slice of thick bacon.

Attachments

• 3-15-09-1s.jpg
    3-15-09-1s.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 269
They look great - but you're using peppers besides jalapenos?

OK.. I'll take a few ;-)

what are you using to smoke them? I mean, oak, mesquite, hickory? smoker/grill or other? I ask because: a) wifey wants to make some and b) I need another excuse to (finally) build a smokehouse

OK.. I'll take a few ;-)

what are you using to smoke them? I mean, oak, mesquite, hickory? smoker/grill or other? I ask because: a) wifey wants to make some and b) I need another excuse to (finally) build a smokehouse

I can't speak for Navychop, but a lot of us here use and vouch for the Weber Smokey Mountain...

Weber Grills and Accessories - Grills

Now for what types of wood we use, well that's usually an experimental process. Hickory's usually a good neutral wood. Keep in mind, the heat primarily comes from the charcoal with a few chunks of wood mixed in for flavoring.

I have both the 18" and the 22" WSM bullets. Strongly suggest you just pony up and buy one of these. You can always move to a more expensive type later, and cheaper ones under other brands may not regulate temps as well.

For pork and poultry, I usually use apple. But now I think I've gotten better results using cherry. If I can find more local supplies of these two woods, I'll stock up. I miss BBQ Galore.

I've also used hickory. Nothing wrong there. Mesquite I think is best used with beef. I don't cook much beef. But that's the wood that's available locally, and I have a long supply of it.

ABTs get smoked using whatever wood I'm using to smoke the main course. I've never prepared "just" ABTs. But this Easter, that'll be the only thing in the smoker, so I might use up some of the mesquite.

Anybody make ABTs with mesquite?

yea.. I realized that after I typed it.. smoke house would be much for them.. but then again, when I get into a hobby, I usually go overboard anyway. ;-)

I've got some recipes from wife's family in Hungary for cold smoked ham.. gotta have a smokehouse anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)