ABTs

I normally cook ABT's around 325 I use cream cheese with left over pulled pork wrapped with 1/2 slice bacon topped with a good bbq rub such as Billy Bones, Bad Byron's or what ever you have on hand. Smoke until the bacon starts to get crisp. The longer you cook the milder it gets. Some jalepenos are hotter than others. Have you tried the bacon explosion yet. Google Bacon explosion. It is a fattie wrapped with a latticed bacon wrap stuffed with fried bacon and bbq sauce.

Made 80 ABTs last night for a dinner party with ten people. I wasn't sure what would happen, as I hadn't put these in front of friends before. I put a pinch of cilantro and a little bit of fresh, minced garlic on the cream-shredded cheese mix before wrapping the bacon on (I used a thinner bacon this time and only 1/3 to 1/2 slice, depending on the size of the pepper).

When we left for the evening, there were less than ten remaining.

MAY 17th.

Command performance- Mystery theater night at the local library (run by my wife). ABTs for 65. Hmmmm. Use the 22"? Or both the 18" & 22"?

Figure on 200 ABTs? That's 100 jalapeno peppers. Gotta measure. Not sure I can do that many simultaneously, even using both. Aw- somehow, they gotta fit, for sure!

With no help, maybe 2 hours prep time, plus 2+ hours at 250-300?

Maybe not the time to try the cilantro and garlic, simply for the added prep time. Except, of course, for the cook's privilege!

MAY 17th.

Command performance- Mystery theater night at the local library (run by my wife). ABTs for 65. Hmmmm. Use the 22"? Or both the 18" & 22"?

Figure on 200 ABTs? That's 100 jalapeno peppers. Gotta measure. Not sure I can do that many simultaneously, even using both. Aw- somehow, they gotta fit, for sure!

With no help, maybe 2 hours prep time, plus 2+ hours at 250-300?

Maybe not the time to try the cilantro and garlic, simply for the added prep time. Except, of course, for the cook's privilege!

Navy,

I have the 18" WSM and can fit about 33-35 ABT's on each rack.

I did apx. 60 total for a Halloween party and smoked them at 250°F for 2 hours and they turned out perfect.

I suggest you use both smokers if you plan on doing 200.

Here's a picture so you can visualize how many can fit on an 18"er....

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 210
Good. Thanks. When I do ABTs, it's usually fitting them in around something else, such as a chicken. Couldn't remember how many fit on one level with nothing else there.

Considering doing the jalapeno prep the night before, cutting and seeding, at least. But I don't want them to dry out. Anybody prep them the night before? How far did you go in the prep? Did they stay moist just in a plastic bag or container?

Good. Thanks. When I do ABTs, it's usually fitting them in around something else, such as a chicken. Couldn't remember how many fit on one level with nothing else there.

Considering doing the jalapeno prep the night before, cutting and seeding, at least. But I don't want them to dry out. Anybody prep them the night before? How far did you go in the prep? Did they stay moist just in a plastic bag or container?

I always did mine the same day, but I think if you put them in a plastic freezer bag with a damp paper towel, they should be fine in the fridge overnight.

I did a night before prep once, and IIRC, they may have softened up a little. You couldn't tell after they were built up, wrapped and smoked. I think you'll be ok.

OK, I am going to break down and give this a try with my early fathers day present. The only question I have is does anybody have any suggestions instead of using the cream cheese?

OK, I am going to break down and give this a try with my early fathers day present. The only question I have is does anybody have any suggestions instead of using the cream cheese?

I used a recipe for crab cakes once and stuffed the peppers with that. Turned out great. I just made sure the mix was chopped up pretty small instead of chunky. IIRC, I put the mix in my food processor and gave it a few pulses.

OK guys. You have me hooked. I just finished a small batch of ABT's and I LOVE them.

Here is how I did the first batch.

1) Jalapeno Pepper (picked right out of my garden)
2) Mexican Mix Cheese
3) Minced garlic
4) Chipolte seasoning
4) Bacon

Cooked at 250 for 2 hours using Apple wood chips.

Attachments

• IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 197

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts