Adding more dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
using dishpointer I get this for 97W

Elevation: 40.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 214.5°
LNB Skew [?]: 18.9°
Turn clockwise standing behind the dish

so in you case with that dish take 90 + skew which you'd turn the dish to 118 or so

Learning... From Sadoun's Satellite Dish Look Angle Heading Calculator

Elevation: 40.4°
Azimuth (true): 205.6°
Azimuth (mag.): 214.8° using Compass
LNB Skew: 19.3°

OK COOL ICE.. We got just about the same result.. I can't wait for morning to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK COOL ICE.. We got just about the same result.. I can't wait for morning to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah it all depends on your locatin. I used Pittsburgh which probably puts me in downtown. If you're in the burbs the numbers will be a smidge off

As for the LNB skew since you are skewing the whole dish that number goes off 90

What? You don't work in the dark with a flashlight?
What kind of SatGuy ARE you? ;) :) ;)

hehehehe.. When I did my 1st FTA dish back in 06 or 07, whenever it was, - I set it up the dish on a tripod in my yard, and had a TV and the receiver in my garage (This is the same motorized Sadoun 80 cm I still have with my Lifetime Classic). I had no idea what I was doing and I played with it all night long. As the sun came up, I managed to get a few transponders on 97W and I remember my wife coming down in the morning and I was watching a Japanese station and they were playing some type of board game (all I could get).... She shook her head and walked away like I was nuts.....

What? You don't work in the dark with a flashlight?
What kind of SatGuy ARE you? ;) :) ;)

In the dark by the light of a nearly full or full moon is the best, but that only lasts two or three days a month. Its the only way I'll work in the summer ;) ...

Yes, the neighbors think I'm strange, which is what I want them to think.

so true Tron
IN the summer I wouldnt start working on the dish farm until the sun almost went down....much easier to sit there in the dark than fry your ass off sitting on a hot roof

Easier to see your SuperBuddy meter display and the screen on the portable TV, too!

Right now, I am really missing a warm summer night out in the yard, snuggling with my satellite dish under the stars with the crickets and the Katydids and frogs!

Oh! What fond memories! :)

RADAR

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to follow up on the installation of this Dish. The results have been absolutely stunning.

When I 1st hooked it up, I set it in an old tripod, not level, and not skewed at all. I aimed it at what I thought was 97 and tuned it by ear with my sat finder. I went in and did a blind scan and got every transponder and every channel with a higher signal that I ever saw on my 80 CM motorized dish. Unbelievable. I then "walked down the arc" to each sat, again, just by tuning to the sat finder, and got every one, again, with a stronger signal that I ever seen before..... (and this is without skewing or touching the elevation)..

Currently, I have it setting on 83 watching RTV, Tuff, and PBJ with a 80% signal (my "regular dish" gets about 66%)...

So tomorrow, I'm going to do it right, toss the tripod aside, concrete the pole in level, and set it to 83 and correct the skew to the highest signal. I intend to leave it there for good "no wait" access to the 3 channels here. Then I may try to add another LNB to the dish...

Let me tell you, to this 6 year FTA "rookie" this old DirectTV castoff dish is quite a surprise. I wish I could find another one.....

And thanks to all who helped me here...

Al

Well, it's designed to do exactly what it's doing.
So no big surprise.
But for whatever satellite it's aimed at, do peak & skew the dish accordingly.

Maybe have a re-think about that old 80cm dish, eh? :)
... or LNB, ... or alignment, ... or cable/connectors, ... etc.

I just wanted to follow up on the installation of this Dish. The results have been absolutely stunning.
very cool

So tomorrow, I'm going to do it right, toss the tripod aside, concrete the pole in level, and set it to 83 and correct the skew to the highest signal. I intend to leave it there for good "no wait" access to the 3 channels here.

just a word from the wise....if you are going to do a pole mount try and make sure that if you want to move it to another satellite that you can. Nothing sucks worse than doing a big install only to realize that you are limited to 1 or 2 satellites (been there done that)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)