Adventures in dish hunting and what we find

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Perfect 10 Hmmmm. Maybe

Thomas, here is a pic of my setup, I'm pretty sure this dish is made by Perfect 10, it's a 10 footer and probably of around 1993 vintage.

SatelliteDish03-02-08b.jpg

Hi phlatwound,
I don't know if yours is a perfect 10, however it looks like my Unimesh 10'. I think it's a Unimesh. I could be wrong here, there are others who are more Knowledgably then me!
Thanks,
Tom :D

OK,I stand corrected. Look how simular both dishes look a like.
Tom

Attachments

• UNIMESH_10ft02.JPG
    UNIMESH_10ft02.JPG
    925.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Yes the Dish is a perfect 10. Sami and Perfect 10 have the same style polar mount.

I have 2 Unimash Dish a 10, and a 7.6

OK, I must be doing something wrong.... I posted an image as a thumbnail and when I click it it comes out blank! Whats going on?

Phlatwound how are you able to show your photos and not have it come out as a thumbnail?
Thanks,
Tom

OK, I must be doing something wrong.... I posted an image as a thumbnail and when I click it it comes out blank! Whats going on?

Phlatwound how are you able to show your photos and not have it come out as a thumbnail?
Thanks,
Tom

I uploaded my pic to my photobucket account and then linked that url directly.

Here's my first hit on a Craigslist ad I posted last week looking for (free!)dishes that needed a new home , not sure what type of dish it is but it's on my beaten path so I'm going to haul it home, and the C/Ku feedhorn to boot. What do I have here? :confused:

SatFeedhornnixa.jpg

Satdishnixa.jpg

Here's my first hit on a Craigslist ad I posted last week looking for (free!)dishes that needed a new home , not sure what type of dish it is but it's on my beaten path so I'm going to haul it home, and the C/Ku feedhorn to boot. What do I have here? :confused:

SatFeedhornnixa.jpg

Satdishnixa.jpg

Well, the dish turned out to be an 8' perforated aluminum of unknown lineage, in pretty good shape but missing most of the mount (they think they may still have it though). The Chaparral corotor/feedhorn has a Toshiba HLC-2 LNB and a BSCC83L01 Ku, they said it was all working when it was taken down so this may be used if I attempt to upgrade my BUD with Ku. It took me about 10 minutes to load and secure on my mighty 1980 Toyota longbed and it wasn't even out of my way, so I didn't get hurt on this freebie.

If we could see the back side of the dish, it might help identify it along with a close-up of the mesh.

There were only a couple of manufacturers that made actual perforated dishes.

If we could see the back side of the dish, it might help identify it along with a close-up of the mesh.

There were only a couple of manufacturers that made actual perforated dishes.

My camera battery croaked, maybe my daughter will let me use hers tomorrow and I'll post some pics.

My terminology may have been bad, I said perforated because this dish has round holes in smooth material, unlike my Perfect 10 dish which looks like mesh.

My terminology may have been bad, I said perforated because this dish has round holes in smooth material, unlike my Perfect 10 dish which looks like mesh.
Round holes might very well indicate a perforated dish. We'll be able to tell after you post the pictures. :)

The holes definitely look like a perforated reflector, but I don't recognize the back at all.

Hopefully it will ring a bell with someone else.

It will be difficult without the mount that was built for it to make it work across the arc successfully. You might make it work as a stationary dish a lot easier. Pick a satellite and leave it there, but it will still be a pain. :)

The holes definitely look like a perforated reflector, but I don't recognize the back at all.

Hopefully it will ring a bell with someone else.

It will be difficult without the mount that was built for it to make it work across the arc successfully. You might make it work as a stationary dish a lot easier. Pick a satellite and leave it there, but it will still be a pain. :)

I figured that that would be a tough one to adapt something to make it movable, if it didn't come with a Chapparal C/Ku feedhorn I might have left it alone. I had another hit from my Craigslist ad for a very nice 8' mesh dish, mount and actuator...complete, just have to take it down and haul it off. :)

I figured that that would be a tough one to adapt something to make it movable, if it didn't come with a Chapparal C/Ku feedhorn I might have left it alone. I had another hit from my Craigslist ad for a very nice 8' mesh dish, mount and actuator...complete, just have to take it down and haul it off.
That sounds like a better bet than this one. :)

working my way up to the big leagues

After re-reading this thread from the beginning last night, I was more sensitive to the plight of orphan dishes today.
This gas station just changed hands, and I talked to the "Image Coordinator" about the unsightly dishes. - :rolleyes:

Really had my eye on the traditional round Primestar-like dish in the middle.
It's on a little NPR, and has remnants of the red Andrew lightning bolt logo on it.
I'm pretty sure it's unused, too.
The one to the rear is DirectWay, a two-way satellite service probably used for California Lotto.
(it's the only clean and newly installed dish)
The dish to the front is also a two-way satellite service, seen on many gas stations (probably credit card?).

I doubt the round Andrew is 1m, but I can live and hope. :cool:
Got the business card from Mr Coordinator, and will call him back in a few days to see which way the wind blows.

Say, has anyone ever used the dish in the front for Ku?
As wide as it is, and with matching feed horn, I'd think it had a pretty narrow beam.
... which would be similar to a round dish of diameter equal to the width shown...
Only thing is, with the reduced height of the dish, it'd just have less gain... which should not be a driving force.

Here's hoping my next post to this thread will reflect something larger. - :D

Attachments

• 03-19-08_1418.jpg
    03-19-08_1418.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 148
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)