Adventures in dish hunting and what we find

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now you all know why I don't drink, and don't do drugs. :)

Thanks Lumpkin!

I'd be in serious trouble if I had that much space to mount satellite dishes out of the scorning view of my wife!

I made the remark to my wife as she was going shopping earlier that it was going to be a nice dish. She responded. "Just 99 more to go". :cool:

Chefwan - That's a nice dish, and the tear will be easily fixed or not for just C-Band.

Fred

Hi Fred, another great find. The only question I'll give input on is, make it number 5! I don't know what kind it is, but it reminds me of the one Diamond Jim has. I haven't seen his in a while, but Iceberg has asked him to post it.s picture again, so maybe we'll see if it's like his? It might be one of these (except they don't have an 8.5' dish):
DH SATELLITE

I think it's one like Jim has?

Al

Hey Al,

I'm leaning towards making it number 5 myself. I have to supress the urge to get it up and running right away. :D

It does look similar to the DH Satellite pictures you linked to, but the mount on this one is square.

I am looking forward to seeing Jim's again. I know someone has one like it on this forum because I have seen it here somewhere.

Thanks,

Fred

I found the link to the pictures of Diamond Jim's Spun aluminum dish here.

They do look very similar. His has a button-hook feed whereas this one has a tripod. Everything else looks very much the same.

Maybe he will comment on this one.

In the link above, his shows that it is a Regency dish.

Fred

Nice Dish's Im Going To Have To Start Dish Hunting Again VERY VERY Soon. Fred is getting ahead of me lol just kidding man. im glad someone loves to collect them.just think everytime we collect one those things cost 2000-4,500 back in the day boy would i love to have that money everytime i collected one. i got 7 my self just think of all that money in your pocket....old people wont give them up. want money for them well most anyway lol

I think this thread is awesome, here are some of the (smaller) dishes ive picked up from various places, the *C one in the back is a 31" and the one to the left of it is a 75-E 2.. Its huge!

Attachments

• 6dishes.jpg
    6dishes.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 193
my dish find

I recently found 4 derelect channel master dishes is this a good find im new but am getting a reciever soon also maybe two of the lnbs loook like they migh tbe good can anyone suggest a replacement lnb that will work well with an elliptical dish thanks

Hey Scraphead!

Look at the part number on the back.

Are they Primestar dishes? If the part number is 75e or 84e, they are excellent dishes!

If they are Primestar dishes, the LNBFs are probably still good and will work fine for Ku FTA signals.

Can you post some pictures?

Congratulations!

Fred

HI, I've noticed your hard work to find and described your discovery, and I have a question for you, I'm trying to find and LNB for KU band and I take a picture from one which the same I need, but the guy that use to install it paint to cover the description on, and nobody know what kind is it. Look the picture and let me know something. Thanks for while.
Darli

Attachments

• Picture 005.JPG
    Picture 005.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 138
I just keep finding them! :cool:

Today my steel came in for the mount on the solid dish that I am working on so I had to drive about an hour to go pick it up. I had the camera with me, and had seen these dishes the last time I went up there. Today I stopped and took pictures.

I also found out the owner, and I will not get the two Ku dishes (one 6' Prodelin, one 1.2M Channel Master), but it might be possible for me to get the 10 foot Harris Cassegrain Solid Bud. They will let me know. It's a long story. :D

Here are the pics:

harris-casegrain-10footer.jpg harris-casegrain-10footer2.jpg harris-casegrain-10footer-rear.jpg

tag-from-mount.jpg 6foot-prodelin.jpg 6foot-prodelin-rear.jpg

1-2Meter-channel-master.jpg 1-2Meter-channel-master-side.jpg

I also found these jewels several weeks ago. I am having a hard time getting together with the owner. I have talked to his brother who is supposed to let him know I am interested. I'll get them sooner or later. :)

3 - 1M Primestars/Channel Masters and a couple of other somethings.

Here are the pics:

bunch-dishes.jpg bunch-dishes-3rd-one.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the little dishes are?

To top it all off, I sent an email to a guy on Craig's list and included my cell number. He called me within 5 minutes and I am going to pickup another 7.5 foot Perfect 10 dish this evening.

To top it off, I don't even have to take it apart. He has it apart and in his garage ready to load up with actuator, ribbon cable, and receiver. Said it all was working fine when they took it down. :D

Fred

The smaller dishes are 30 inch C-banders. They are for narrow band data pay services. Some were used for Stock Market tickers. The one I have was used for GOES Weather satellite data. It was distributed this way before the internet.

I removed the receive box underneath an adapted the waveguide to a standard C-Band LNB. I actually got a few analog signals that were watchable (barely). This was with a 40+ deg. LNB.

Well here is the story on the 7.5' Perfect 10 that I went and picked up this evening.

This guy put the dish up and started using the receiver in 1993. He and three other members of the HOA got in a court battle and lost. They all finally had to take them down in 1996, so this dish, receiver, vc-ii module, actuator, wire, everything was only used 3 years.

He had it all packed up in the original boxes each piece came in. It is all in "like new" condition. There is not a hail mark, scratch or ding on the dish. All the original bolts are there and no rust on the dish or polar mount.

I got 55 feet of ribbon cable that doesn't even have any dirt on it. A Toshiba TRX-1820 receiver with VC-II module, an 18" HTS actuator that has no rust or dirt on it. The feed-horn is a non-adjustable Chaparral with 30K Gardiner LNB on it. (nothing special there)

Holy cow!! It is all like brand new with all the manuals for everything. Just like at Christmas.

Is this Toshiba TRX-1820 receiver a better analog receiver than my US Electronics Legacy receiver (Drake ESR-1524)?

I am going to put one of those receivers on my existing dish for hunting analog feeds and moving the dish for my computer SkyStar 2 tuner and HDTV plus recording as soon as the spun aluminum dish is up.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. It is unbelievable what you can find and get all for free. :cool:

Fred

Fred, you lucky dog!!!!! If you run out of space on your roof, I have a nice spot picked out in my back yard???? Thanks for the pictures above and also those in post #194..... those 1st two in post #194, are interesting looking dishes. I've only seen the likes at Radio & TV stations, I think they're called Casagrain or something like that. I would like to play with one of those......

Al

I'm droolin'.............first of all, nice find. Second of all........f**k the HOA...........I would never live in a place where I couldn't put what I want in my back yard.......poor guy probably pays a premium just to live in a place like that. Unbelievable..........I personally don't care what my neighbor has in his back yard, if I don't like it, I won't look at it. And soon it won't matter 'cause I'll be living in a place with no visible neighbors!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts