Advice needed on HR44 purchase & Setup / 721 issue and sending back receivers using “moved” address

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
Maybe I should have used a few different topics but here goes:

My Setup, first subscribed 2005, all purchased from ebay dealer.

3xHR23, SWM5 Dish, SWM8 Switch, Wired Decas on all Receivers for MRV, Wired Cinema Connection Kit for On Demand.

1. One of my HR23s just died, I have the upgrade bug now and is the HR44 Genie the best way to go with Wired Clients or Wireless or can Wireless clients be plugged in via Coax as well? in that case I would go wireless and just plug them in but it would give me the option to move them around for events.

2. I read I should get the Genie HR44-700, still the case? The one thing I hated in my current setup was that Season Manager List wasn’t shared among receivers; I’m assuming that’s not the case with Genie clients connected to Genie? Can you see Season list and manage season list from any client? It’s all shared?

3. Does Genie Season list still limit you to 50, seems low if clients share the list.

4. I think I read the limitation was 4 connected clients + the genie, so 4 devices in total? Can this be expanded using a switch larger than SWM8, like the SWM16?

5. I’m in a “moved” address, how do I return all my defective receiver along with the ones I’m replacing without raising a flag, I don’t want an installer coming.

6. Given #5, I even planned on purchasing the receivers from an ebay dealer again to get the specific receivers I wanted, I don’t want to end up with a Genie HR34, etc. Is this necessary still? It was when I was purchasing my HR23 5 years ago, plus it was the same thing, I didn’t want an installer coming.

7. Will Purchasing the Genie and Clients put me in a contract now? Might make a difference if purchasing from dealer since it’s usually a higher price, so maybe I won’t be?

8. I was reading so many early threads on the Genie and in 2013 there were so many saying to not use the internal CCK in the HR44, has that changed as I’m not seeing people say that anymore. Given the description of my setup I gave at the very start I think the best setup would be to install HR44, install clients,

a. leave Wired Decas on Genie and clients or just Coax since Deca is built in?

b. Re-use existing Wired Cinema Connection kit? Wired should provide more reliable speed.

9. In my current setup, this winter was harsh and for the first time I started experiencing 771 signal loss on Satellite 1 or Satellite 2 and now I’m experiencing it much more often when rain and clouds haven’t even started yet, something has definitely changed and I don’t know how to troubleshoot or what to do to resolve. Maybe this troubleshooting needs a separate thread.

Thanks for any help you can provide; I know it’s a lot of questions.

1. Personally, I would always keep at least one non-Genie DVR in a setup, as no matter how many wired/wireless Genie clients you get, if the main Genie server goes down, so do those clients. Also, we happen to have one wireless Genie client attached to our Genie HR44, and we've experienced zero issues with it. I'd say wired or wireless are equally worth it.

2. We've got an HR20-100 (older than your devices) and MRV works perfectly fine between the Genie and the HR20. List shows all recordings across both devices (really, all three, though the mini client doesn't actually store anything, per se).

3. I thought I saw someone around here say that it's been expanded to 100...

4. My understanding is that the Genie can physically support no more than 8 clients, but since the Genie, per se, only has 5 tuners ("only" being relative, of course!), then that would mean one for the directly-connected TV and 4 for other mini clients, I believe. The SWM unit has nothing to do with the number of tuners in the Genie; the SWM only multiplexes the number of available channels (I call them "channels," I'm sure someone else can correct me) that can go out per tuner; general rule of thumb is get a SWM big enough for Geniex5 channels, DVRx2 Channels, non-DVRx1 channel (except that minis don't count, as they directly interface with a Genie).

5. I'd call DirecTV and see what they advise.

6. We just upgraded two weekends ago, and all CSRs at DirecTV were "99% sure" that only HR44s were being deployed at this time. In theory, YMMV, but likely HR44s are the currently-sent devices. Again, ours was an upgrade, and our local tech even said they're upgrading non-SWM customers to SWM16, not SWM8.

7. Yes. Apparently most other discussions here agree. Anytime you get a new device from DirecTV, you are re-upping a contract. I have to say, though, that after two weeks with the Genie system, we completely don't mind having re-upped at all. They really are nice devices.

8. The nice thing about a Genie is that all required interfaces are already built in. You don't even need a direct ethernet connection to a router to get Internet access (though we do). So, all you have to have is a single coaxial connection to your Genie and then that connection routed to your SWM, and then either wireless or wired connection to your router, and you're good to go.

9. ***BIG RECOMMENDATION*** Have the tech take a look at the LNB pointing backwards to your actual dish. Ours happened to be so old the tech wondered how in the world we were receiving any HD programming. Once the LNB was replaced ***AND DITHERED***, I don't believe we'd had less than 90% signal strength across any satellite. After the upgrade, the wife and I haven't seen a single instance of HD pixelation, HD channel switching is 75% improved, and I'm still waiting for rain to see how it now stands up to fade.

The above was winded but I hope it helps!

1. Personally, I would always keep at least one non-Genie DVR in a setup, as no matter how many wired/wireless Genie clients you get, if the main Genie server goes down, so do those clients. Also, we happen to have one wireless Genie client attached to our Genie HR44, and we've experienced zero issues with it. I'd say wired or wireless are equally worth it.

2. We've got an HR20-100 (older than your devices) and MRV works perfectly fine between the Genie and the HR20. List shows all recordings across both devices (really, all three, though the mini client doesn't actually store anything, per se).

3. I thought I saw someone around here say that it's been expanded to 100...

4. My understanding is that the Genie can physically support no more than 8 clients, but since the Genie, per se, only has 5 tuners ("only" being relative, of course!), then that would mean one for the directly-connected TV and 4 for other mini clients, I believe. The SWM unit has nothing to do with the number of tuners in the Genie; the SWM only multiplexes the number of available channels (I call them "channels," I'm sure someone else can correct me) that can go out per tuner; general rule of thumb is get a SWM big enough for Geniex5 channels, DVRx2 Channels, non-DVRx1 channel (except that minis don't count, as they directly interface with a Genie).

5. I'd call DirecTV and see what they advise.

6. We just upgraded two weekends ago, and all CSRs at DirecTV were "99% sure" that only HR44s were being deployed at this time. In theory, YMMV, but likely HR44s are the currently-sent devices. Again, ours was an upgrade, and our local tech even said they're upgrading non-SWM customers to SWM16, not SWM8.

7. Yes. Apparently most other discussions here agree. Anytime you get a new device from DirecTV, you are re-upping a contract. I have to say, though, that after two weeks with the Genie system, we completely don't mind having re-upped at all. They really are nice devices.

8. The nice thing about a Genie is that all required interfaces are already built in. You don't even need a direct ethernet connection to a router to get Internet access (though we do). So, all you have to have is a single coaxial connection to your Genie and then that connection routed to your SWM, and then either wireless or wired connection to your router, and you're good to go.

9. ***BIG RECOMMENDATION*** Have the tech take a look at the LNB pointing backwards to your actual dish. Ours happened to be so old the tech wondered how in the world we were receiving any HD programming. Once the LNB was replaced ***AND DITHERED***, I don't believe we'd had less than 90% signal strength across any satellite. After the upgrade, the wife and I haven't seen a single instance of HD pixelation, HD channel switching is 75% improved, and I'm still waiting for rain to see how it now stands up to fade.

The above was winded but I hope it helps!
Well done !

From the sounds of it, he's against having D* out to do the work.
In his instance, having D* out would save him money as they would supply all the switches and anything else with the install.
Chances are he'd get HR44's, not 100%, but he can always cancel if they don't have them.

You can connect up to eight clients, but you can only use three at a time.

Full disclosure, I'm in Canada. I have a friend's address I could use to change my billing address to, that's why I can't have an installer.

So I just don't know how I'm supposed to make the arrangements for the upgrade to the HR44 and clients, and do I need to even tell them the HR23 is defective.

If I go through a dealer like I did originally, will they make all the arrangements for me? Like sending prepaid packages for receivers I'm sending back?

Will I be given any promotional pricing since the new receivers will extend my contact by two years?

You can connect up to eight clients, but you can only use three at a time.

Even on a swm16?

Does that mean 4 in total at the same time, someone can be watching the hr44 + 3 other people the clients?

What happens if the hr44 is recording 5 things already? Will the clients be allowed to watch recorded stuff?

I can be on a client and edit the season list? It's like being in front of the hr44?

The swm16 has nothing to do with the number of clients a Genie can have.

Yes, three clients and the Genie can be watched at the same time.

If the Genie is using all of the tuners, I think only one client can watch recorded stuff, but I'm not sure about that.

The client controls the Genie just like using the Genie itself.

I thought recorded shows don't use a tuner, can anyone confirm if all 5 tuners are recording, could my 3 clients all watch recorded shows?

Even if all the tuners weren't being used, can all the clients simultaneously watch recorded shows, the hr44 can handle that?

Lastly if all 5 tuners are being used and I turn on a client and try to watch live TV, will it give me an option to stop a live recording from the client so I can watch?

Last edited:
Full disclosure, I'm in Canada. I have a friend's address I could use to change my billing address to, that's why I can't have an installer.

So I just don't know how I'm supposed to make the arrangements for the upgrade to the HR44 and clients, and do I need to even tell them the HR23 is defective.

If I go through a dealer like I did originally, will they make all the arrangements for me? Like sending prepaid packages for receivers I'm sending back?

Will I be given any promotional pricing since the new receivers will extend my contact by two years?
That sorta changes alot. getting the stuff installed by a tech is pretty much what dtv is going to want if you upgrade directly through them. Your best bet if you want the genie is gonna be to go through an online retailer and self install everything. pricing offers are pretty much out the Window in that circumstance and your on your own getting everything to canada.

Please note I mean no negativity or harshness with this post.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That sorta changes alot. getting the stuff installed by a tech is pretty much what dtv is going to want if you upgrade directly through them. Your best bet if you want the genie is gonna be to go through an online retailer and self install everything. pricing offers are pretty much out the Window in that circumstance and your on your own getting everything to canada.

The swm16 has nothing to do with the number of clients a Genie can have.

Yes, three clients and the Genie can be watched at the same time.

If the Genie is using all of the tuners, I think only one client can watch recorded stuff, but I'm not sure about that.

The client controls the Genie just like using the Genie itself.
If the genie itself is recording 5 programs then none of the clients will turn on. It will say all network resources are in use.

No I appreciate the response, and thanks for still offering help, I was blasted on another forum. I pay almost $185/month for my premiere package and current setup. I had to go through and online retailer the first time, I guess I will again.

I'm just confused on how the whole process will work on sending the current receivers back, do I have to let them know one is defective and can I just have the online retailer deal with all of this and send me prepaid packages to shop back receivers and if not, will Directv send prepaid packages to billing address and not service address can this be done online?

Reactions: texasfb
They will mail everything to the service address by default but you can request them to send to the billing address. Either way none are going to help you out unless you can easily get to one of the addresses. No idea what your online retailer would do regarding an upgrade. Your on your own there. No you do not need to mention one receiver is defective. But doing so won't hurt anything

If the genie itself is recording 5 programs then none of the clients will turn on. It will say all network resources are in use.

Oh that's not the functionality I expected at all.

It won't even let you watch recorded shows from the clients.

I want my whole house to have a shared season manager list but maybe not this badly.

Do any of the stand alone HOUR receivers offer the same functionality as the client boxes and can share the season manager list?

Oh that's not the functionality I expected at all.

It won't even let you watch recorded shows from the clients.

I want my whole house to have a shared season manager list but maybe not this badly.

Do any of the stand alone HOUR receivers offer the same functionality as the client boxes and can share the season manager list?
no. The client is the only box that will share the season manager because it is reading it from the genie. This is just how it opperates. If you have clients turned on when you approach ur 5th recording you can choose to watch one of the recordings. but if all is off except the genie then the others cannot be turned on.

no. The client is the only box that will share the season manager because it is reading it from the genie. This is just how it opperates. If you have clients turned on when you approach ur 5th recording you can choose to watch one of the recordings. but if all is off except the genie then the others cannot be turned on.

If Genie is just recording two shows, can the 3 clients stream recorded shows at the same time?

would he be able to send the defective receiver to...

Jabil Global Services
ICO: Directv Dock #22
4600 Pleasant Hill Road
Memphis, TN 98118

This is where you send defective receivers or return receivers? Right?

yes

OK this getting fun, thank you BTW, much appreciated, I wish Directv had a FAQ this good.

I'm thinking this would work:

Using 3 clients at the same time (live TV, streaming, whatever)
Recording 2 additional shows so all 5 tuners should be in use.

Shouldn't the HR44 itself still be available to use for a 6th event, but limited to watching a recorded shows like a traditional HR receiver that is using all its tuners?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts