After nearly 19 years... is this the end of Dish for me?

"Lifetime" may only be 3-4 years. The over the air tuners in all the equipment of this type will be replaced by ATSC 3.0 very very soon. Converter boxes will have to be utilized, just like the changeover from analog television to ATSC 1.0. They are jumping straight to MPEG 5 and bypassing MPEG 4. The present terrestrial ATSC 1.0 is MPEG 2.

My roamio 5 oTA has arrived and is working well, except for a problem with the OTA antenna. my bad knee prevents me from climbing. i am looking for someone to replace my ota antenna and cable line

"Lifetime" may only be 3-4 years. The over the air tuners in all the equipment of this type will be replaced by ATSC 3.0 very very soon. Converter boxes will have to be utilized, just like the changeover from analog television to ATSC 1.0. They are jumping straight to MPEG 5 and bypassing MPEG 4. The present terrestrial ATSC 1.0 is MPEG 2.
Don't hold your breathy waiting on that. Look how long the transition to digital took with all the delays.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_transition_in_the_United_States
The Congressional deadline to transition to digital broadcasts was pushed back several times. Congress passed the Telecommunications Act of 1996 with the original transition date of December 31, 2006. The transition to digital television was set back several more times after that. First to December 31, 2008, then to February 17, 2009, and then finally to June 12, 2009.

Now what was this thread about?.....

DRCars

Reactions: ncted
"... The over the air tuners in all the equipment of this type will be replaced by ATSC 3.0 very very DISH soon..."

FIFY.

Reactions: TheKrell
As has probably been said, the problem isn't Dish, it is that you want it all. You could switch to DTV and save a bit during the contract, but after that, you would very likely be paying more (DTV now charges a receiver fee for the 1st receiver... and charges for HD), Cable sucks and would be even worse/more expensive.

You are spending a lot because you want a lot.

I would highly recommend going with an H3 and 3 joeys (or H2, SJ, & 2J), it will be a MUCH better user experience, and would probably save you a couple bucks/month.

The Hopper system is hands down the best DVR/TV system on the planet, Genie is OK, but Hopper is better, and less expensive.

As has probably been said, the problem isn't Dish, it is that you want it all. You could switch to DTV and save a bit during the contract, but after that, you would very likely be paying more (DTV now charges a receiver fee for the 1st receiver... and charges for HD), Cable sucks and would be even worse/more expensive.

You are spending a lot because you want a lot.

I would highly recommend going with an H3 and 3 joeys (or H2, SJ, & 2J), it will be a MUCH better user experience, and would probably save you a couple bucks/month.

The Hopper system is hands down the best DVR/TV system on the planet, Genie is OK, but Hopper is better, and less expensive.
Fully agree. Great comments

Reactions: brad1138
My wife and I dropped Dish over a year ago, and we are satisfied with the results. We have a Tivo Roamio OTA and 2 Minis. This replaced our original Hopper and Joey setup. We watch local channels, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. We had both Amazon and Netflix when we had Dish, so the real change was in what we were paying for programming. I had (approximate) up-front costs of:

$50 - Tivo
$100 - 3TB HDD Upgrade
$100 - Clearstream 2v Antenna
$250 - Tivo Minis
-------
$500 - Total

On-going costs are $15/month for the Tivo service. I know a lot of people hate this fee, but really, what are you paying for a Cable or Satellite whole-home DVR? Compared to what my Dish bill was before I dropped it, I am paying $45 less per month. That means my initial investment paid for itself in just over 11 months.

The important consideration is that we still have plenty to watch. Perhaps if I had won the Powerball, or I had tons of time on my hands, I might need more things to entertain me, but at this point in my life, where I watch an hour or 2 per day, it really isn't necessary.

With all that said, if I was to subscribe to a satellite or cable service, Dish would be my choice, and it would be my recommendation to anyone considering such a service.
Almost very same situation for me except I went the Amazon Fire TV & Tablo DVR way, the latter being $120 upfront cost & no mthly subscription or $5/mth for added cover art features. I get my regular cable channel & sports fix with Sling TV, a real good value for money. With this setup I'm saving just about $100/mth over what I was paying Directv this time last year. I do miss a reliable dvr like the Hopper at times & like you, if I was to return to satellite it would definitely be Dish especially if their customer service policies match the top quality equipment they offer. My highest budget for mthly tv subscription is $80/mth with Netflix & HBO being must haves, so that leaves about $50-$55 that I would gladly give to Dish if they offered an adequate package for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)