All American Direct (AAD) in HD $25 EACH? OUCH!

...I don't think at this price , that AAD is going to add to many subs. Especially since anyone with DISH and a member of this web board , knows that they can "move" & for $5.00 locals pack and get the hd feeds of the 4 big nets and even the Cw in certain areas. In recessionary times like these, you would think that this company would know to offer their channels at a discounted price . I would think it would be only $12.99 for both east and west coast HD feeds . There shouldn't be a premium price to add hd now days. I am sure that there will be a price reduction in the future or there will be an announcement that AAD is going out of the distant network business. Sad this could of been a good thing for both DISH and AAD. Company GREED destroys another good idea.

Mike you make some very good points. I think they need to re-think the whole pricing scheme as well. Not because I think their business is a democracy but because there is overwhelming shock to their prices.

Obviously there are some transponder costs but hey... You can get about 8+ HBO HD channels for $15 (PLUS those are all on SD and also are even on multiple satellites), PLUS they pay some very good fees to HBO which they don't to ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox. So comon, this is not about transponder costs in reality.

Let's face it, part of these stupid AAD prices is to pay dish at such a rate that they are the true owner of the company. But they can't be the owner so the consumers are paying both owners (Charlie and AAD).

I know they don't want to drop the price of SD to below $13. Leave that as the minimum price so the can administer the accounts (collections, support). That's plenty for Dish and AAD to share for one city in HD or SD east/west. Add another $7 for and additional HD city because that is just gravy since the programming is really the exact same thing. The NFL benefit aspect of this thing with 4 cities is overrated. That brings the total to $20 for two cities in HD. Oh you want, SD as well, then add another $4.

Charlie is always going to have the best deal for one city in HD & SD for $5. They don't need this price protection they are building in to transponder fees. They need to lower the scale for AAD by way of the above ($13/$20/$24) instead of $13/$38/$63. If they keep that up AAD and Dish will be sharing half of nothing.

Mike, you hit the nail on the head about greed. Maybe they thought this deal up back when a two bedroom house in Bakersfield was going for $700,000.

Can somebody tell me what Bird the LA and Chicago HD networks are off of. I only get 119 and 129 and need to know If i will get the networks if I order them. Thanks

AAD response said:
... but unfortunately with the cost of an HD DBS transponder...
Sure :rolleyes: It's the same kind of transponder that they're leasing for their SD channels. The rest makes more sense when you look at the lease as a fixed cost that must be distributed across a much smaller base of potential customers. I agree they would get a much larger chunk of that smaller base though by dropping the price to where it's not so far out of line with the SD package.

I know I would have subscribed at the $15-25 price point for all four sets ($6.25 each set or so MAX). But when I saw the $65 PER MONTH price tag, I quickly canceled the order. So instead of them getting up to $25 from me, they get ZERO dollars. Which is better? $25 or Zero dollars? The costs are fixed so are you making more money by not having people like me as customers?

See ya
Tony

I know I would have subscribed at the $15-25 price point for all four sets ($6.25 each set or so MAX). But when I saw the $65 PER MONTH price tag, I quickly canceled the order. So instead of them getting up to $25 from me, they get ZERO dollars. Which is better? $25 or Zero dollars? The costs are fixed so are you making more money by not having people like me as customers?

See ya
Tony

Volume of customers that pay a smaller more affordable amount ,is always better than a few that pay high prices. Because the many that can afford your service will recommend your service to family and friends and continue to grow your business. The more your business grows the more money , the more profits. That is the way DISH got its start in 96. IF it wasn't for low cost and word of mouth through a few dealers and happy satisfied customers , they would of never become the second satellite provider in the country. So I predict that AAD will either lower their prices due to disappointing subscriber numbers or they will stop selling hd distants . IT is highway robbery to charge $25.00 per hd city. :rant:

See ya
Tony
Same here. I would pay $20.00 for all four sets. They now get $0.00 from me.
Most businesses dont understand the fixed costs/more customers model.

I used to get the SD's, except for NBC. They now get $0.00 from me, also. I was waiting for them to get HD, too. No way will I pay that much, so I dropped my SD's.

Its always better to get a little, than none at all.

I used to get all the SD channels. Now I have canceled the Chicago HD plus the SD. They are supposed to be turned off Sun. when the billing starts again.
No more money from me either.

I'm gone as well if they take away my SF stations and charge me the same fee for NY only. Didn't sign up for HD at all for those prices.

It is almost the same price to sign up for Bell Canada service and get all their locals Canadian and US. Plus you do get some extra channels as well.

I'm thinking of just doing that when I drop the service.

Voyagerbob

I'm gone as well if they take away my SF stations and charge me the same fee for NY only. Didn't sign up for HD at all for those prices.

It is almost the same price to sign up for Bell Canada service and get all their locals Canadian and US. Plus you do get some extra channels as well.

I'm thinking of just doing that when I drop the service.

Voyagerbob

Well get ready. They took away my NY feed and I'm paying the same amount for the SF feed.

Not sure if they will ever drop the prices, but if they do I might consider getting AAD HD; however, my eligibility has changed since the site first re-launched with the HD channels. I used to be eligible for two stations, FOX and NBC, but now the site says I need a waiver for each of the big four. Does anyone know what database or system AAD uses for determining the signal strength? According to The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps I have no signal for FOX and NBC and weak for ABC, yet I still need waivers, and the Indy stations are very stubborn about signing waivers from what I've heard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts