All American Direct

gjcavana

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Anyone out there use this service and have any coments about it? Since our locals in davenport iowa may or manot happen anytime soon I am considering this service and getting the major networks from LA in HD. The site states that they will have to ask the local stations for a waiver before I can do this which I wonder if that would even fly. Anyone have any luck with that?

Find you an address to "move" to that qualifies. I have all 4 networks from LA and Chicago. Great quality!

Thanks for the input. Another question since you already use the service. Since LA is two time zones away from me, do you get shows at a different time from the LA stations than they are shown in the local time zone? For instance would I get 60 minutes at 6:00pm from the local station and then again at 7:00pm or 8:00pm from the LA station?

60 Minutes is shown at 7PM on the LA station. If you are two time zones away, you would see it at 9PM your time on the LA station.

why not just go for the chicago distants, they are in your same timezone?

why not just go for the chicago distants, they are in your same timezone?

Yes but given the choice I would acually prefere the LA locals. I lived there for several years and still have relatives there. It would be neat to be able to watch their local news. I just wasn't sure how it would all work.

Yes but given the choice I would acually prefere the LA locals. I lived there for several years and still have relatives there. It would be neat to be able to watch their local news. I just wasn't sure how it would all work.

You can probably get KTLA but only SD. At $1.50 per month, that's not bad.

ADD in HD is still way to expensive.

Any chance with the new satellite viewer act coming up that Dish might be able to get back into the distant nets business and we can get the distant nets again from Dish instead of of AAD?

Getting an HD local in another time zone is always better because it gives you flexibility in recording. If DVR tuners are busy recording other things, you can always record the major net show a few hours later.

BTW, about the local news: if you were one of the majority of LA residents who think our local news is far too alarmist, wastes too much time promoting the network's prime time programming during the newscast, and overkill with minor stories about beauty secrets, social trends, and--of course--romance/dating, then it's gotten worse.

KCBS is now focusing on more coverage of the most inconsequential BORING stories in as many of the small cities and villages throughout the LA metro area calling it "NewsCentral: News in your area that matter to you." They dug up poor old Ed Ansner to record a 6 minute piece that introduced the new concept (and replayed it all weekend) as if it were the greatest things since flush toilets ("Back in the '70's, history was made on this very studio lot with a program where I played a news director. Well, [now I paraphrase] a new history is going to me made with a new kind of innovative newscast not seen anywhere else, and it will be coming to you . . .) Well, It aint the greatest since flush toilets.

By far the worst is KTLA, still trying to regain its long-ago lost #1 at 10:00 status by being the most vapid, silly, uber-hyper, nerdy trying to be hip, music to introduce almost any segment newscast ever. And they play dance tracks (you know, music heard in clubs) leading out to and returning from commercial. UUUUHHHGG!!! They are trying to be so hopelessly hip. In a way, it is almost entertaining in itself. BTW KTLA has more bimbos reading it newscasts and features segments than anyone out there.

Having said all this, it is exactly why LA news is quite popular with people who live in other cites and get our stations via satellite. Yes, the news here is often more entertaining than the fiction Hollywood dreams up for its TV shows. I hope you can get LA HD locals, after all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts